• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two new arrivals

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Sadly I have been unable to find Halloumi, despite him being chipped. I am really sad and just hope he has a good home somewhere. Prior to him burrowing out I had already thought of rehoming two new buns as I intended to have a quad but had found nobun suitable. I went with a friend to a rescue near to where she lives as her daughter (adult) had bought a giant baby bun from a breeder and they soon realised the bun was lonely outside when the family were all out of the house during the day and decided to get a second bun from a rescue.

I have mixed feelings about the rescue but there were a couple of single girls there that I thought may be suitable for me to adopt. I didn't make any commitment or actively choose one. My friend ended up getting her bun from the RSPCA as by the time their accommodation had been built the bun they had liked had been rehomed.

Once Halloumi disappeared Zippy was clearly very unhappy. He looked sad and was barely eating and when he did, it was with no enthusiasm at all. He was depressed. He would leave his food and then at the point when I was going to syringe feed I noticed he had eaten some of it - it was almost as though he could read my mind - it was uncanny.

I went back to the rescue and one of the buns I had liked who had been on pregnancy watch was still available and they also had some baby buns (supposedly 7 weeks old but looked much younger) and there were two girls amongst them, one of whom hadn't been reserved. I chose the two but wanted to leave the baby with her siblings as they were all so tiny, although eating pellets and hay OK. I was also going away for a night so didn't want to leave new buns with a non bunny savvy friend. I went back to visit them and spent an hour there cuddling them but stuck to my resolve not to have them home before my night away.

I had stupidly not asked what the adoption fee was, assuming it wouldn't be much as the buns weren't vaccinated or spayed. It was £30 per bun. I said I thought this was a lot but I had promised the two girls a good home and promised Zippy companions so I paid my money and brought the buns home today.

I have started bonding in my bedroom - my house is old and my bedroom has no double glazing so I am huddled under an electric overblanket. I am working tomorrow so will have to divide the pen into three while I am out.

Zippy is being a nightmare and fighting with the adult female but leaving the baby alone. The adult female has snuggled up with the baby but is fighting with Zippy. I have not separated them but distracted them with some kale. Zippy has been so miserable I thought he would bond easily. They are in a neutral pen (given to me by Carob) in a neutral room with a neutral litter tray.

Once bonded they will be moving outside into my garden as my neighbour's external work is finished and there is now a wall and a fence up alongside the bunny area. It has a paved floor so there will be no digging out.

Successful bonding vibes would be greatly appreciated. I know some of you may not approve of where the buns came from but I did what I felt was best. The adult female was found in a car park with an unneutered male, and they lived together at the rescue. She was not pregnant and the vet visiting when I was there agreed with me that she has probably been spayed. She is chipped but the number is up north (I am down south) and was unobtainable. She is very friendly so I think she may have had a good home at some point. The baby is too young to be spayed.

Both are booked in for their first set of vaccinations on Saturday. Zippy is already vaccinated.

Last edited:
Sending lots of successful bonding vibes for your two little ones. I hope that the fighting stops soon.

I don't know why you consider that people wouldn't approve of where they came from. It sounds as though the place was a rescue, although the rabbits aren't vaccinated and neutered. It's also actually for no-one to comment on where you choose to get your rabbits from. This is your choice ;)

The only thing that I would have done differently is that I would have quarantined and vaccinated the two new rabbits before introducing them to Zippy. But I also understand that Zippy is struggling by himself.

Sending lots of successful bonding vibes for your two little ones. I hope that the fighting stops soon.

I don't know why you consider that people wouldn't approve of where they came from. It sounds as though the place was a rescue, although the rabbits aren't vaccinated and neutered. It's also actually for no-one to comment on where you choose to get your rabbits from. This is your choice ;)

The only thing that I would have done differently is that I would have quarantined and vaccinated the two new rabbits before introducing them to Zippy. But I also understand that Zippy is struggling by himself.

In an ideal world I would have done that but as I have to leave two weeks between the two vaccinations it would have meant Zippy being alone for at least another two weeks and I think he would have stopped eating altogether. I live alone and work so am out of the house for long periods of time. Despite having a large run attached to his hutch, Zippy was spending most of his time between his litter tray and the rear of his sleeping compartment - he wasn't moving much.

Now he is fighting the new bun I am questioning if I did the right thing - but all three have nommed lots of hay today - so hopefully they are not too stressed. I think I will be having a very disturbed night though but who needs sleep:):)

Sending lots of bonding vibes :). We are also bonding today, Dottie and Spud.

No judgement here about where they are from. They obviously needed a lovely home and Zippy needed a friend/s.

I'm really sorry about Halloumi x

I'm sorry to hear about Halloumi :(

Welcome to your new buns, I hope the bonding gets calmer soon xx

So sorry that Halloumi didn't turn up in the end :( but hopefully the two new buns will be just what Zippy needs once he gets used to them. Looking forward to the updates :D

The fighting is getting nasty now and the poor little baby bun is stuck in the middle. I have decided to put a barrier up as I think they have all had enough - and being realistic I do need some sleep as I am working tomorrow. The area is far too small to divide in three so I kept the two new buns together. The adult started chasing the baby and I was just going to try to move one of them when I noticed the adult was grooming the baby who was snuggled against her so I am leaving them and just watching to see what happens in the next hour.

Zippy and Halloumi were a slow bond - they lived in the hutch and run side by side for a few days before I put them together. Zippy tried to fight Halloumi through the barrier initially but when I finally moved them into the lounge to bond them it was a really quick and easy bond. Am hoping this may be the same. I guess Zippy could be confused. He doesn't know where Halloumi is and I have now moved him into a strange room in a strange run with two strange bunnies. He is watching the two new buns snuggle while nomming hay.

I wish my bunnies had read the Bonding Manual - and work really gets in the way of bonding too.

One thing I have noticed is how all three buns are good hay eaters. My buns are given very few pellets and mostly hay and whatever herbs/veg are on offer in the supermarket so that is good to see.

I really, really wanted a lop bunny and the baby's ears were lopped for a short time today - but have gone up again now. She is long haired so will need brushing every day but is easy to handle as she has been regularly cuddled by one of the rescue's volunteer's young daughter (under supervision)who was very gentle with her.

I'm having to bond on a towel as I have run out of newspapers. It's not even an old towel:(

Thank you all for your support. I wish I knew how to upload photos.

Congratulations on your 2 new does. Sounds like Zippy was very unhappy on his own.

Just need Halloumi to turn up again and you will have a quad. So sorry that he hasnt been found.

Bonding is not going well:( Flopsy (baby bun) and Pebbles (adult female) have bonded but Zippy is attacking them both. I have to put a divider up when I leave them - which has been for slightly longer than usual because of the snow. I work 40 mins from where I live - on a good day!!!

I have had strong words with Zippy this morning. Flopsy is so much smaller than he is I hate seeing him chasing her. Pebbles is more able to stand her own.

In an ideal world I would have stayed with them 24/7 until they bonded but I have to go to work. I have stopped volunteering for overtime but have to do my basic hours. I can't live on that pay but bonding the buns is more important at the moment. I stupidly thought bonding would be easy as Zippy was so miserable on his own. He could have followed Halloumi as the hole he burrowed was big enough but he had the sense to stay at home - he knows where his noms come from!!!!

Flopsy and Pebbles have their first set of vaccinations this afternoon. On a positive note they bonded really quickly - a little chasing and then Pebbles started grooming Flopsy.

I can divide their accommodation into two if I have to but it would not be easy and they would have much less space.

I feel really stupid as I thought Zippy would at least accept the baby bun but he is chasing her too. I guess he wants Halloumi back and no other buns will do. It is sad but I really thought adopting two new buns would cheer him up. He is eating properly though. All three were eating together just now - I scattered their pellets fairly close together.

Will give it another week and try to stay at home as much as I can - without losing my job!!!

More successful bonding vibes would be greatly appreciated. I am getting really stressed and am supposed to be keeping my blood pressure down.

Sending vibes. I think the presence of other buns and the sound of them eating will encourage Zippy to eat and be a bit happier in himself, even if he is hostile. Our house bunny always hears us eating and comes and sits nearby and starts eating as well. Very sweet.

Pebbles and Flopsy have had their first set of vaccinations. The vet noticed Flopsy was dribbling so I have to keep an eye on her in case she has a dental issue. I so hope she is not going to be a dental bun. She nommed some carrot just now with no problem so I don't think she is in any pain.

When Zippy was chasing Pebbles I heard a scream. I have never had that when bonding and have separated them again. I am now trying to think what to do if they won't bond. It is so sad as I have just had the cover over their run extended so they had more room to be out 24/7 rather than shut in a hutch at night. It is a long thin area and would be very difficult to divide in two. Maybe Zippy could be a house bun and live in the kitchen but I think he would still be lonely as I am out a lot.

Flopsy is so small and ineffectual I can't understand why Zippy would fight with her. She does not retaliate at all and is clearly being submissive.

With hindsight maybe I should have just adopted one bun but I had intended to have a quad.

I am trying not to let it get to me as despite the medication my blood pressure is still higher than it should be but I am finding this so stressful. I think being on my own makes it worst. If I had a partner to share the bonding and the decision making it would help.

I have had rabbits fight much worst than Zippy and Pebbles when I have been bonding. There is more chasing than fighting but the scream was dreadful. Pebbles must have been terrified.

I think I am a dreadful bunny Mum putting them all through this trauma:(:(:(

Oh dear, I'm sorry it's not going well. It must be very stressful :( Your not a bad bunny mum though, you're trying to do your best for them.

I'm no expert by any means, but I think if it were me, I would do as you mentioned and divide their accommodation for now, keeping the two girls together, if they are getting along. I know you mentioned it will be smaller, but hopefully a short term solution. Then resume bonding in a few months after the girls had been spayed.

We currently have a divided shed with this set up, 2 girls one side and our boy Loki, the other. He's since been neutered and the girls will be spayed soon prior to bonding. But, for now, it's working well, despite one blip in the early days. I also think Loki benefits from being able to see the girls through the mesh in the meantime and won't feel so alone.

All the best x

I am sorry I missed this Karen. If you need some company or would like me to bunny sit or help in anyway feel free to text me. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I am sorry I missed this Karen. If you need some company or would like me to bunny sit or help in anyway feel free to text me. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Also I'm on half term in 2 weeks time if you need any assistance or company :)

Back