• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

X-rays next week for teeth and abdomen

Sarah298

Young Bun
Does anyone ever feel as much as they do for their rabbits it isn’t good enough as they seem to get ill so often? I feel like im letting them down.

I took Jess to the vets yesterday as she wasn’t acting herself, however still eating (small amounts) and running around. The vets have said she has some plaque on one of her teeth and has felt a lump further down which is a bit tender to touch (she’s been spayed, should have asked what it could be but I didn’t think at the time). We’ve booked her in for an X-ray of her teeth next week and xray of her abdomen/ where the lump is to have a look at that as well. I’m really hoping it’s something straight forward and no to sinister. I would have preferred the tests to have been done sooner but this was the earliest they had.

Sorry I’m just worried for her.

aww please don't apologise - its natural you should be worried & just shows you care. I don't have any real advice about the abdominal issue & sometimes its better not to second guess as it makes us worry more. Easier said than done.

TBH I;ve not heard of plaque on bunnies teeth before but maybe this translates as sore gums which would be indicative over grown spurs or other dental issues so a good look round while she is sedated seems a good plan. As she isn't eating as much as usual I'd put loads of effort in to making sure she doesn't lose weight before her app next week which could be as simple as feeding her lots of fave herbs, grass etc or may mean some syring feeding. I'd be vigilant with poo watch too. If her appetite declines or her poo I think its reasonable to call your vet . She may need Metacam .

Loads of get well vibes for Jess xx

Waiting for diagnostics is so stressful, as we can't help to churn everything over in our minds as to what the issues are.

Sending loads of vibes for Jess and I hope that you are able to keep her eating up until her appointment next week. I've not heard about plaque being an issue for rabbits before, but I have heard that it can cause pain in a human mouth.

Does anyone ever feel as much as they do for their rabbits it isn’t good enough as they seem to get ill so often? I feel like im letting them down.

I took Jess to the vets yesterday as she wasn’t acting herself, however still eating (small amounts) and running around. The vets have said she has some plaque on one of her teeth and has felt a lump further down which is a bit tender to touch (she’s been spayed, should have asked what it could be but I didn’t think at the time). We’ve booked her in for an X-ray of her teeth next week and xray of her abdomen/ where the lump is to have a look at that as well. I’m really hoping it’s something straight forward and no to sinister. I would have preferred the tests to have been done sooner but this was the earliest they had.

Sorry I’m just worried for her.

Oh Sarah, what you do for your rabbits IS good enough!
They get poorly and then we do our best, but we can only do so much, and the vet too.

It's very stressful I know when they get ill and you are not letting them down at all.

I hope all is straight forward and that the vet finds no worries on the X-rays.
Hugs for you x

I echo what MM said :) your bunnies have a wonderful life with you, and some owners wouldn't even bother to take them to a vet let alone do any explorative treatment. you're doing all you can, they're just such fragile little animals that even the slightest thing can get to them.

I do say that but my vet told me she had a rabbit who showed no signs of dental issues, one day gave her a chin stroke and felt something hard, had a look and her teeth had grown through her jaw and out the other side :shock: never showed any signs of pain or any dental issues at check ups! some buns are weird :lol:

sending good vibes that its something & nothing or something straight forward to treat iwth a positive outcome x

You aren’t letting them down, you are doing the best you can for them and they are lucky to have you. I haven’t heard of plaque on a rabbit before either.

I agree with what Joey and Boo said about calling the vet if her appetite or poo output becomes a concern, in case she needs metacam.

Sending lots of vibes, I hope it’s something easily treatable.

Thanks for the replies and support. I just feel like I’m doing a bad job as I’ve had them at the vets so much compared to when I was growing up and our family pets.

Our vet said it’s strange for the plaque as well. We were sent home with metacam once a day until she goes in on Tuesday. I’ve been tempted with syringe feeding but she’s still so active and picking at food so I’m just going to keep an eye on her input/ output!

I feel this way too sometimes with Teddy, I feel like we're at the vet every 5 minutes sometimes, but I guess that's the way it goes, there will be times they need that little bit extra, please don't beat yourself up over it, it shows you're a vigilant owner!

Back