• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molar Removal/Update

*Bex*

Mama Doe
Please can I hear anyone’s stories of their rabbits who have had a molar/s removed?

My bun started being a bit ‘off’ at the beginning of last week with stasis type symptoms. Although his appetite was around 70-80% normal ok his poos went very stasis-y. He was mostly ok in himself but did have some odd moments of looking a bit miserable.
After poo initially picking up and seeming much better they went downhill again over the weekend.
He was hospitalised on Tuesday for further investigations which didn’t throw up anything other than his teeth (he’s a dental rabbit, usually his incisors) so a dental was performed yesterday and when operating it was found his top molar right at the back was wobbly so it was removed. No abscess had formed but it looked like infection would’ve soon set in. It was also clear he’d been using the other side of his mouth to chew.
He came round from surgery ok. There was some concern from the nurses over the poo he passed overnight as it was very soft but that has got better through today, although still small. He has eaten for himself but not really a great deal but is taking syringe feeds well.
Vet has seen him digging up his bedding and flopping down and being rabbit like then nurse tonight said he’s been quite quiet so not sure what to think. He’s never exactly wild at home!
Blood test showed some slight anemia but also something else that showed he’s been fighting some inflammation somewhere. Likely related to the dodgy tooth.
I’m worried for him and I miss him! I’ve only had him since October :(

Last edited:
Please can I hear anyone’s stories of their rabbits who have had a molar/s removed?

My bun started being a bit ‘off’ at the beginning of last week with stasis type symptoms. Although his appetite was around 70-80% normal ok his poos went very stasis-y. He was mostly ok in himself but did have some odd moments of looking a bit miserable.
After poo initially picking up and seeming much better they went downhill again over the weekend.
He was hospitalised on Tuesday for further investigations which didn’t throw up anything other than his teeth (he’s a dental rabbit, usually his incisors) so a dental was performed yesterday and when operating it was found his top molar right at the back was wobbly so it was removed. No abscess had formed but it looked like infection would’ve soon set in. It was also clear he’d been using the other side of his mouth to chew.
He came round from surgery ok. There was some concern from the nurses over the poo he passed overnight as it was very soft but that has got better through today, although still small. He has eaten for himself but not really a great deal but is taking syringe feeds well.
Vet has seen him digging up his bedding and flopping down and being rabbit like then nurse tonight said he’s been quite quiet so not sure what to think. He’s never exactly wild at home!
Blood test showed some slight anemia but also something else that showed he’s been fighting some inflammation somewhere. Likely related to the dodgy tooth.
I’m worried for him and I miss him! I’ve only had him since October :(

Poor lad. Having a loose molar removed is not such a major procedure as having one that is still firmly established removed.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/MolarExtractRabbit.htm

That said I do hope the Vet took some skull Radiographs as it is very important to assess what is going on below the surface so-to-speak; especially concerning the tooth roots and the overall health of the bone.

tB8kdlE.jpg

http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiography/anatomical_lines.pdf

These links provide some information about Rabbit Dental Disease and it's management :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/dental-malocclusion-overgrowth

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/rabbits/netherland-dwarf-dental-malocclusion

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

Dental related abscesses :

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/615.pdf?LA=1

https://avianandexoticvets.com/management-of-dental-abscesses-in-rabbits/

Is Bunny on antibiotics now, aswell as good analgesic cover ? Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Last edited:
Thanks Jane, I’ll give those links a read.
He’s on good pain relief and antibiotics and X-rays were also taken. He’s at Crab Lane so I know he’s got the best of care.
I just really want to phone up and then say he’s eaten well and he can come home! Xx

Sending lots of vibes for your boy. I hope you get some positive news this morning.

He’s on good pain relief and antibiotics and X-rays were also taken. He’s at Crab Lane so I know he’s got the best of care.
I just really want to phone up and then say he’s eaten well and he can come home! Xx

:thumb: :D

Great news!

Did you not used to go to Honor?

I hope he's OK - look forward to hearing your update shortly xx

Great news!

Did you not used to go to Honor?

I hope he's OK - look forward to hearing your update shortly xx
I did, she treated my rabbits abscess a few years ago. She’s moved now, to a practice a couple of hours away. CL is only about 40 mins.

Message this morning was that he’s bright, taking syringe feeds well, pooing but only small but not eaten cecals overnight (this is not unusual for him) they’re checking something in his blood again this morning. Will phone back mid afternoon and see what vet says xx

I use Crab Lane Vets so can say with confidence he'll be getting great care. Is he under Becky? Its horrible them being away, I hope he's well enough to be back home with you very soon

I did, she treated my rabbits abscess a few years ago. She’s moved now, to a practice a couple of hours away. CL is only about 40 mins.

Message this morning was that he’s bright, taking syringe feeds well, pooing but only small but not eaten cecals overnight (this is not unusual for him) they’re checking something in his blood again this morning. Will phone back mid afternoon and see what vet says xx

Oh great you have CL within your reach :)

Vibes that all is well when they call you back :)

I use Crab Lane Vets so can say with confidence he'll be getting great care. Is he under Becky? Its horrible them being away, I hope he's well enough to be back home with you very soon

Yes he’s with Becky, he’s actually the rabbit in her picture on fb and their website :)

I had a rabbit (Erin) who had to have a molar removed when she had an abscess. Strangely she ate well when she had the abscess - it was picked up on health check for vaccination by FHB. After treatment for the abscess/tooth removal it took her two weeks to get to eating properly.

About 4-5 years later she had the opposing tooth removed as it was loose, she had hardly any 'downtime' that time as I think it was a lot easier for her to eat when it had gone.

I'm sure they will have warned you but if there is a tooth opposing the missing tooth there will be a danger of that tooth forming a spur as there is nothing for it to wear on. Erin had c12 weekly dentals throughout most of that period between having the two teeth removed, though did go quite a long patch when Frances thought the spur had stopped growing. She actually sent me a photo of the spur and ulcer in her cheek that it caused when it grew unexpectedly after a long time of being no trouble. It's not a certainty that it will cause a problem though.

I had a rabbit (Erin) who had to have a molar removed when she had an abscess. Strangely she ate well when she had the abscess - it was picked up on health check for vaccination by FHB. After treatment for the abscess/tooth removal it took her two weeks to get to eating properly.

About 4-5 years later she had the opposing tooth removed as it was loose, she had hardly any 'downtime' that time as I think it was a lot easier for her to eat when it had gone.

I'm sure they will have warned you but if there is a tooth opposing the missing tooth there will be a danger of that tooth forming a spur as there is nothing for it to wear on. Erin had c12 weekly dentals throughout most of that period between having the two teeth removed, though did go quite a long patch when Frances thought the spur had stopped growing. She actually sent me a photo of the spur and ulcer in her cheek that it caused when it grew unexpectedly after a long time of being no trouble. It's not a certainty that it will cause a problem though.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. They have mentioned about the opposite tooth being an issue so we will just monitor and decide to see what it does!

He has eaten both veg and pellets for himself today and has enjoyed some time out his kennel, said he’s much brighter out of it than in.
They were happy to discharge him home today however his PCV level has fallen, it was already too low the other day and they want him back to test again tomorrow. Given it’s a 1 1/2 hour round trip he’s staying over again. Hopefully I’ll have him home tomorrow afternoon fingers crossed!

So, a week on and he is still in the vets :(

He was discharged Saturday afternoon after eating well for himself Friday night/Saturday morning. He was so happy to be home! Eating his hay straight away and chinning everything in sight.
Sunday morning and he was like a different rabbit again. So sad and depressed and uninterested in food.
When I picked him up I realised he’d been sat in his wee, and when I cleaned him up he had the tiniest amount of jelly/mucus on his tail with a streak of blood in. He was admitted back to the vets Sunday morning.
Monday morning when I phoned he’d picked up as soon as he’d been admitted again, eaten really well and seemed fine so I was to pick him up that evening, however I got a call from the nurse in the afternoon to say he’d gone downhill a little again and not eaten well so they’d like to keep him in.

He’s just not improving. He’ll seem to pick up, seem bright and begin to eat well but then soon will go back downhill again. He’s taking his syringe feeds well and is always happy to come out his kennel to explore and be fussed but he’s just not right, by a long way.

Vet says he’s had a down day today. He’s been xrayed again but that is clear. His examinations are not abnormal, his mouth is as expected but there is obviously something awry somewhere for him to be constantly up and down.
Vet said he’s passed a lot of cecals today (amongst normal poo) so they’ve stopped antibiotics today as they believe they may be upsetting his tum.
It seems a bit of a head and brick wall situation as he’s not giving any signs of what or where the problem is.
His whole case has been sent to FHB today so fingers crossed she spots or thinks of something to help him.
He’s been examined by at least 3 vets, if something is missed it’s got to be something really unusual.

My heart feels hurty :(

What a sad update. You must be worried sick. Don't lose hope though - with FHB on the case I bet you'll have answers soon. Lots of vibes for you both xx

What a sad update. You must be worried sick. Don't lose hope though - with FHB on the case I bet you'll have answers soon. Lots of vibes for you both xx

Yeah, I really am. I was doing ok up until today. I just didn’t like the call from Becky this afternoon. I’ve known her a long time, I can tell things from her tone of voice!

No one is worried about anything imminently but it’s clear he’s not getting better. He’s just been ‘just the same’ for too long now and he can’t carry on like this :(

Everything crossed FHB can pull it out the bag tomorrow. Or he just makes a massive u turn overnight! Xx

Back