• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Jake needs a dental

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Jake is 4 now, and so far has only been to the vets for routine things. Despite a few incidents such as eating a full bowl of bombay mix and other mischievous things which we was expecting vet trips over!! He's a very sturdy rabbit :lol: The past few days he's not been finishing his pellets, he seems keen enough but then goes to eat hay or do something else leaving most of his portion. He's eating everything else absolutely fine. So we'll be heading to the vets for a check up. Bit nervous I've not used my new vets for rabbits yet, aside from the baby rabbits vaccs before they were rehomed.

Jake is 4 now, and so far has only been to the vets for routine things. Despite a few incidents such as eating a full bowl of bombay mix and other mischievous things which we was expecting vet trips over!! He's a very sturdy rabbit :lol: The past few days he's not been finishing his pellets, he seems keen enough but then goes to eat hay or do something else leaving most of his portion. He's eating everything else absolutely fine. So we'll be heading to the vets for a check up. Bit nervous I've not used my new vets for rabbits yet, aside from the baby rabbits vaccs before they were rehomed.

Yeah it would be good to get him examined, though bunnies usually find the pellets easier to eat when there are dental issues. Reason is that eating pellets is an up-down motion of the teeth. If he's going for hay, that's a heavier grind on the teeth which is harder as it's a side to side movement.

I thought that, but with Beano the only sign she would show when she needed a dental was a reduction in the number of pellets she would eat. Can you think of any other reasons for a rabbit leaving pellets?

I thought that, but with Beano the only sign she would show when she needed a dental was a reduction in the number of pellets she would eat. Can you think of any other reasons for a rabbit leaving pellets?

Usual reason is contamination or mycotoxins, but it's not common.

It could be that one particular tooth is hurting, and the pellets are crunching on that spot so have created a 'bad memory'.
Or maybe even an ulcer?

I'd get the Vet to check Jake's ears too. Rabbits with the start of an ear infection, especially Lop Rabbits, often go off their pellets as the pellets probably cause ear pain as the Rabbit bites down on them. Good luck at the Vets xx

Back