• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ideal temperature for rabbits

given that the next few days/weeks are expected to be very cold in the UK, what is the ideal temperature for rabbits ?

I know many people keep bunnies in the garden, ideally in pairs, so they can snuggle up together, but I feel that this isn't what my bunnies prefer...

For many years I have kept mine in the garage out of the elements, with a very deep bed of straw + hay + shavings (on top of composting material that generates natural underfloor heating)

When my warren was fully bonded with 10+ living together, I frequently found them in a huge bunny pile where the ones in the middle were steaming warm...probably 25+ degrees...they also chose to sit on the spots that had the warmest underfloor heating from the composting

Last winter when it was also very cold, I put an electric radiator next to the ones closest to the garage door, and they snuggled right upto it - I made sure the cables were bunny teeth proof

I know many people believe that rabbits are outdoor animals and can tolerate the cold...but given they live in warm burrows in the wild....what is their preferred ideal temperature ?

Mine are outdoors in a playhouse and other accommodation, so they can choose to be in the relatively cool playhouse, relatively warm tiny hutch (right next to the house), or out in one of the runs. Aboleth will often sleep on the playhouse windowsill in the sun which still isn't what I'd describe as a warm place :lol: She was doing this last week when it was between 4 and 5° but wandered off when the sun moved round.

Wild rabbits live in burrows which are more of a constant temperature, with very slow fluctuations, rather than particularly warm. It's like going into a cave or a mine, it's a constant 5° or so but no windchill, no sudden temperature changes and no great humidity changes. Humidity has a lot to answer for. Equally, one burrow may be warmer or colder depending on need.

I expect rabbits with access to 'heating' such as yours won't have such thick coats because they don't need them. Aboleth's coat fluctuates all the time, but Lopsy's is more constant. I've often found them in Winter on a warm day (>10°) splayed out under the cover in the run because they are too warm :lol: I think access to different temperature areas is more important than temperature itself, although maintaining a temperature that changes only slowly is most important I reckon.

Back