• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Losing a rabbit to old age (long waffly fear driven post)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I can only recall one loss of a rabbit to old age (more than 20 years ago). Normally, it's an illness, and I take them to the vets to be PTS. I always did that because of the fear that it could be distressing for them, or painful, and it felt kinder to make sure it was ok.

Dopey 1 is over 12 and a half now.

With old age, she will likely (hopefully) just slip away. She may contract an illness, which will mean I would likely take her to the vets. However, if it's old age, and I can see her winding down, I would, ideally, like to allow her to pass at home, but to be with her, and never leave her side.

But that terrifies me. I've done it with a person, but a person can have more interventions than a bunny (and also, said person was in hospital). I'm going to have to, until a point indicates otherwise, hold my nerve, and keep her at home- that feels fairest and best for her. But it's terrifying to not have any control over something this important. There is control in PTS, but naturally passing away gives no control. What if it is distressing or she suffers.

I don't know why I'm writing this. Can anyone relate to it? To those of you who have experienced both, what was it like allowing a bunny (or any animal), to just pass at home?

I haven’t actually experienced this, but I am sure that you will do the best thing for her, as always, when the time comes.

I hope you will have a good amount of time together left. Sending hugs to you xx

Bramble was 10 or 11 when she passed away. I went out to give them breakfast and found that she had passed away overnight. She’d slowed down a little over the couple of months before, but was still happy and enjoying life, so it was a shock to find her, but from her position, I think she’d gone peacefully. Hugs x

You've been her guardian for 12 and a half years. You have nourished her life with love, care, devotion and companionship. You know her mannorisms and her behavior. So you and only you would know when you feel that perhaps Dopey is at that point. None of us would wish to have to make that call but deep down we know that one day we might. It is the burdon we all carry for being responsible and caring.
I can completely relate to this with you and although I have not had to pts any of my bunnies or guinea pigs due to old age, I have had to take that decision on health - and it is never easy. There's a part of it that feels cold and almost macabre but the vets also work in the animals best interest and they don't take that decision lightly either.
When Georgina left Ben in 2017, she slipped quietly one late summer afternoon. I knew she was going to slip away. I can't explain it - I could just 'feel it' within her and we gave her and Ben that precious moment together. It was heartbreaking because we didn't want her to leave - but it was her time to and that moment comes.
I hope very much that when the time comes for Dopey, you have that special moment at home. She will feel safe and comfortable with you, surrounded by your love and spirit.

I have two 11 1/2 year olds and feel the same way.
Roo has arthritis but is ok at the moment thanks to the drugs.
Lilly is still crazy active but given her age I am still worried about her.

Does your vet offer a home visit PTS service? If one of mine needs a PTS I will try to organise it at home. But if it's something sudden like a stroke then I guess we would have to go to the vets because it would be cruel to wait for a home visit to be organised.

Most animals pass quite peacefully. In my experience, rabbits either fade out over a day (you know they are going, and it's like gradually falling asleep), or go quite suddenly and it's over in literally seconds. Animals tend to stop eating, then refuse water when they know they are going. I've only ever had one (a cat) that I wish I had PTS instead, as although elderly, she didn't want to go, but was equally freaked out by being moved so I just had to make her as comfortable as possible and leave her undisturbed.

I don't think it's something you can plan in advance. No one knows them better than you, and you just need to trust yourself and your instinct.

Our old guinea pig was nearly 7 when we found he'd died overnight. He probably just slipped away peacefully, and I'm glad it was like that. He had slowed down considerably, but was still eating, drinking, squeaking and snuggling up until the day before he passed away.

I am confident that you will know, and do what is best for them :love:

With old age, I've always intervened and taken to the vets. I follow the mantra of 'I'd rather be a week too soon than a day too late.' My gorgeous Elphie and Erasmus Chipper are my latest passings-

Elphie had been slowing down for 3 months. Mostly down to arthritis. However, tramadol, meloxaid, and oxbow joint support supplements helped considerably. The morning Elphie refused her tramadol/joint support was the day we knew she was ready to go. I was - still am - heartbroken. The house still feels emptier than I am used to.

Erasmus Chipper, darling boy, was the patriarch of a lively quad. He had a mass in his abdomen and lost a lot of weight over a couple of months. We took him in to see Z, our vet, to have a blood test done. She couldn't draw blood so left the cannula in and offered to PTS that day. He was still lively and happy in himself, despite the loss of nearly half his weight. So we took him home. I expected each morning to wake up and find him gone for 3 nights. On that last night, I had insomnia, went to see him and his gang. He was his usual cheeky chap. 8 hours later, he was sitting alone in the middle of one of his runs. He looked diminished and sad. That was the day we took him. Z was also heartbroken to see him again so soon.

With Dopey (1), follow your incredible instincts. You've been her caregiver for so long and you know each other. There's no right or wrong answer. Just let your relationship 'be' and enjoy your precious time together.

Have thought about sharing my experience, but decided against details. Charlie (a nethie) was almost 11 when he died suddenly; had it been overnight we'd never have noticed but it was a Sunday morning. It was quite harrowing and while I didn't witness it (only Mum did) I'm not sure whether it's better or worse that I didn't. What I am sure of is he went the best way possible though, old and slower but still full of life to gone in less than 5mins., a way I'd hope to go TBH.

Thank you guys. I thought I responded and thanked you but it appears I hadn’t. I read them and appreciated them.

She’s still here but her arthritis is bad. She’s medicated up but I’m looking to make that call in the near future. She won’t die of old age, just to make sure she doesn’t suffer. She was bright but had to go to the vets for a med checkup and they examined her and she’s hurt a lot since then. She’s bright and eating and better than she was but incredibly frail and her mobility is vastly deteriorating. It’s incredibly sad to watch. Tomorrow she will be exactly 12 years and 8 months. Amazing achievement.

It is an amazing achievement. I hope you get some more quality time. I remember reading a bonding thread about the Dopeys when i first joined here :love:

Thank you guys. I thought I responded and thanked you but it appears I hadn’t. I read them and appreciated them.

She’s still here but her arthritis is bad. She’s medicated up but I’m looking to make that call in the near future. She won’t die of old age, just to make sure she doesn’t suffer. She was bright but had to go to the vets for a med checkup and they examined her and she’s hurt a lot since then. She’s bright and eating and better than she was but incredibly frail and her mobility is vastly deteriorating. It’s incredibly sad to watch. Tomorrow she will be exactly 12 years and 8 months. Amazing achievement.

((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))) xx

My rabbit Benji died in his sleep aged 10. He hadn't even been off his food the day before, and his eyes were tight shut so he must have been asleep. A very peaceful passing.

Back