• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter trained...but....

daveFelton

New Kit
okay...so i've had little buddy for almost 2 months now. I let him run around my bedroom for certain times out of the day...

he is pretty much litter trained now. he wont poop or pee anywhere but his cage, and he'll run to the cage, do his business, then hop out and continue playing. no problem...

the only thing is, he'll jump up on my bed and start pooping! that is seriously the only place in the room that he will go, other than his cage. I dont want him doing that or thinking its okay, so i usually just pick him up and put him on the floor. Often he'll jump right back up, but i think he gets the picture.

what i want to know is, will he learn not to poo up there, and run around and have fun on my bed without that, or will he just learn to avoid the bed altogether? and is there a better method of doing this?

d

Mine have never learned not to poo everywhere, but as long as it's the dry stuff I don't worry about it. It's partly that they don't really notice they're doing it and partly a territorial thing. A new area will always end up covered in currants in a very short space of time. Is the bed a new area for him? He might be getting it smelling just right. :D

Bertie said:
Mine have never learned not to poo everywhere, but as long as it's the dry stuff I don't worry about it. It's partly that they don't really notice they're doing it and partly a territorial thing. A new area will always end up covered in currants in a very short space of time. Is the bed a new area for him? He might be getting it smelling just right. :D
and of course it'll smell different/new every time you wash the bed linen, so of course it'll need to be marked just in case a 'passing stranger rabbit' happens to come by, he's leaving little 'messages' for them to read :roll:

Of course it probably also smells like you - so he is just marking "you" as his property!! ;)

It could be worse - the pic in my sig led to a trip to the dry cleaners with my duvet the next day - Zeus was away from his litter box too long!! It was very difficult to explain the stain - I gave up trying to convince them my rabbit had done it!

Caz

yeah, i figured it was either a terriotorial thing, or he just didnt realize he was doing it. he's not on the bed that often, so i'd def. consider it a new territory to him. makes perfect sense. thanks guys!

d

Back