• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what animals CANT be around rabbits?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
I'm just wondering for wonderings sake :D

I read on here that rabbits and rats shouldn't be kept around one another (well, come into contact). I've also read the same for Chinchillas, but I don't know if that is true?

are there other animals that shouldn't be kept around rabbits? or kept in contact?

tried to google but...google just gave me facts about rabbits :lol:

Tortoises shouldn't free range with other animals - they can give solid head butts and cause internal injuries. I know it's also not advised to house guinea pigs and rabbits together, though I can't remember the reason.

Tortoises shouldn't free range with other animals - they can give solid head butts and cause internal injuries. I know it's also not advised to house guinea pigs and rabbits together, though I can't remember the reason.

I thought rabbits and guinea pigs were to be kept separate because of diet. Lots of people had them both together in the 90s.

I'd be wary about dogs and rabbits, just because of the risk the dog might go for the rabbits.

I thought rabbits and guinea pigs were to be kept separate because of diet. Lots of people had them both together in the 90s.

I'd be wary about dogs and rabbits, just because of the risk the dog might go for the rabbits.
I think it was also the risk of the piggie being injured by the powerful back legs of a rabbit.

Rabbits (and also cats and dogs) can pass bordetella to guinea pigs so thats another reason you don't want to house them together.

Rabbits (and also cats and dogs) can pass bordetella to guinea pigs so thats another reason you don't want to house them together.

huh, interesting to know :) I read rabbits could pass something to piggies but I couldn't remember what.

fair :) I was just thinking what animals shouldn't be housed around others due to disease risks. sadly I'll have to put off rats one day until the bunnies are gone, or I can have them separate haha.

I've kept all my rats in the same room as the bunnies and I ensure they don't come into direct contact and all been fine, many people on the rat forum also have bunnies :) I have their cage high up or if it's a big multistory cage from the floor I block it off with pen panels, and the rats free range in a different room for their time out.

Gosh, Martys cage is in the bunny room. They can't get to each other but i wonder why they shouldn't be in contact

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

The obvious one would be keeping ferrets and rabbits separate [emoji6]

Guinea pigs and rabbits due to the bordetella risk.
Rats and rabbits due to another thing that can be passed on ( can't remember the name).

Surprisingly gerbils and rabbits. Mainly because gerbils are territorial and won't hesitate to take on a rabbit. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Gosh, Martys cage is in the bunny room. They can't get to each other but i wonder why they shouldn't be in contact

I think its because rabbits can carry pasteurella, and while it might lie dormant in the bun, but could cause health issues for the chin. I can't find much on it but I know I bumped into it when I considered owning a chinchilla a while back. Chinchillas are just not very resilient to pasteurella compared to other animals.

I've kept all my rats in the same room as the bunnies and I ensure they don't come into direct contact and all been fine, many people on the rat forum also have bunnies :) I have their cage high up or if it's a big multistory cage from the floor I block it off with pen panels, and the rats free range in a different room for their time out.

oh yea its just I don't think I'd be very good at keeping them apart :lol: I'd just find it too risky I guess, I'd be worried about screwing up. for me, if I do get rats, I'd rather wait until theres a point in my life that I don't have any buns, if that ever happens :lol:

The obvious one would be keeping ferrets and rabbits separate [emoji6]

Guinea pigs and rabbits due to the bordetella risk.
Rats and rabbits due to another thing that can be passed on ( can't remember the name).

Surprisingly gerbils and rabbits. Mainly because gerbils are territorial and won't hesitate to take on a rabbit. [emoji38]

honestly..you'd be surprised how many people I've seen "can I house ferrets and rabbits together" or "can I put ferrets and rabbits in the same room" :shock: I just don't think it would end well and would be stressful for both parties.

y'know my heart stopped when you put gerbils and rabbits..until you said territory :lol: thankfully they just live in the same room, but they're oblivious to each other I imagine.

I think its because rabbits can carry pasteurella, and while it might lie dormant in the bun, but could cause health issues for the chin. I can't find much on it but I know I bumped into it when I considered owning a chinchilla a while back. Chinchillas are just not very resilient to pasteurella compared to other animals.
Oh thanks, good to know. They all have their own cleaning equipment and food anyways for no cross infection. Only really as I was thinking wouldn't be nice to swap smells but good to know BC

honestly..you'd be surprised how many people I've seen "can I house ferrets and rabbits together" or "can I put ferrets and rabbits in the same room" :shock: I just don't think it would end well and would be stressful for both parties.

y'know my heart stopped when you put gerbils and rabbits..until you said territory [emoji38] thankfully they just live in the same room, but they're oblivious to each other I imagine.
I had a rabbit living next to my business of ferrets. None ever came into contact and bunny never seemed stressed etc about the ferrets (all outdoor) so I wasn't too concerned. If bun showed any signs of stress I'd have found somewhere else for bun to live.

Rabbits and gerbils fine in same room etc but if gerbil cage is on floor I recommend lifting up. Mainly because the gerbils are likely to get stressed anytime buns butt their noses in.

I had a rabbit living next to my business of ferrets. None ever came into contact and bunny never seemed stressed etc about the ferrets (all outdoor) so I wasn't too concerned. If bun showed any signs of stress I'd have found somewhere else for bun to live.

Rabbits and gerbils fine in same room etc but if gerbil cage is on floor I recommend lifting up. Mainly because the gerbils are likely to get stressed anytime buns butt their noses in.

that's fair :D I just don't think I'd want to risk it? idk. I'm probably too over cautious with these types of things :lol: while I think Sherlock is just curious..and I don't think he would harm them..I don't want him around them if that makes sense? I feel the same way with my friends dog, he's old and blind and could care less but I still just wouldn't want him around the buns (or Sherlock) since I know they'd he stressed out by that. but if no signs of stress I don't have an issue. I'd just be worried about the ferrets escaping and trying to get the bunnies or something. I'm just too over cautious I think. if I ever had other animals (like a cat or dog) I'd probably keep them separate from any of my other animals.

yea the gerbils are on my desk so no worries there :) I don't think they're aware that the bunnies are there tbh. when I do manage to get them out for "cuddles" they come into my boyfriends room. yesterday Sherlock got into my room and kept tapping on their cage, I literally watched them size Sherlock up :lol: I obviously told him off but it was funny to see.

I read once that a rabbit will not have babies if there are ferrets close-by. The author also said that rabbits and ferrets should not be housed close together. Fair enough!

Back