• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training (older bunnies)

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Claude and miffy were very easy to litter train even before they were neutered they were both fairly clean.

Shadow and liliac the new buns are totally different characters shadow is a clean girl does even thing in the litter tray where as lilac just wees and pooes everywhere they have litter trays in all four corners of there cage and one in there run,she doesnt use them at all they have megazorb and hay in them.

question is will i ever be able to train her,ive wanted to let them have a run in the lounge i have a litter tray in there i know she wont use in that then she might get into the habit of weeing everywhere.

I kinda have a similar problem. My boy is just soooo good. I let him out to binky in the hallway with no problem. The girl just seems to pee evrywhere. A few mins ago I was playing with her (I sit by the open door of the run as I am not letting her out atm cos of peeing problem) and after ten minutes of snuggling she turns round and pees about 2 inches from my crotch (I was sitting with my legs open). It sometimes feels like one step forward and one back.

Bunnie wee would be much easier to cope with when I don't feel so crappy ;-(

At the rescue where we got Chips we had to decide between him and his brother or a doe and buck pair, and what decided it for us was the lady at the rescue telling us that as an older doe she'd be a lot more difficult to litter train than the boys. Now, I've got girls, and for the most part they are litter trained, but out of the four living room bunnies, if there's ever a wee where there shouldn't be, it's ALWAYS one of the girls that did it. Maybe it's part and parcel of their territorial urges. Dunno.

Seems like girls are a lot harder! Pip and Princess (one spayed, one unspayed) are brill, 100%! But Amy who is just over a year isn't quite there yet. Still seems to poo in her bed if doesn't fancy going in tray! I have switched them to cat litter pellets and Amy is much better. Even Princess seemed to like the change as I don't get one poo on the floor of the shed anymore!

Maybe a change in substrate might help? Perhaps try hay on own, or pelleted form of litter or shredded newspaper? Sometimes even just a little change helps. Otherwise I think it's perseverance, Amy is taking time but she is getting there! My buns are outside, but still a god send litter training them as don't need to clean them out as often; must save a fortune on bedding!!

Good luck with yours, women are always awkward :) lol

Nicola

Back