• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for medicating a stubborn little bunny!

binkygirl2013

Young Bun
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for medicating a rabbit. My 5 year old girl Roxy has been diagnosed with slight arthritis in her back and has a daily dose of Metacam. I would love to be able to give it to her without having to pick her up and wrestle with her but she will not have it. I've tried spiking her favourite foods and treats but she just looks at me as if I'm stupid and hops away from me. It's not as if she doesn't like it as she takes it fine from the syringe and I'm fine with syringing it into her but I would prefer to not have the daily fight of trapping her and picking her up. She's such a fiesty little thing....just wondering if anyone could pass on any tips...

i used to wrap Chester in a towel.
the syringing into the mouth is quite easy once they're incapacitated & once you have the knack. i used to find having him on my lap with his head away from me was the easier than going in from the front.

oh, & get everything ready beforehand & in easy reach before doing it & try not to give them any warning of what's going to happen :lol: ! chuck a towel over them & wrap them up quick :)

I'm with Mikek - as someone already eduring this with my rabbit Henry.
Preparation is never wasted and will save you time and frustration. Get everything sorted before the task of medication. Get your syringe full and more importantly treats ready. Maybe a favorite snuggle toy to make your pet feel less stressed. It IS hard - goodness knows I should know. They don't understand that you are helping them and getting treats down them afterwards means they'll quickly forget the moments before.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for medicating a rabbit. My 5 year old girl Roxy has been diagnosed with slight arthritis in her back and has a daily dose of Metacam. I would love to be able to give it to her without having to pick her up and wrestle with her but she will not have it. I've tried spiking her favourite foods and treats but she just looks at me as if I'm stupid and hops away from me. It's not as if she doesn't like it as she takes it fine from the syringe and I'm fine with syringing it into her but I would prefer to not have the daily fight of trapping her and picking her up. She's such a fiesty little thing....just wondering if anyone could pass on any tips...

Hi there :wave:

Sorry to hear about your little one.

I have some links which might give you some tips. Some rabbits love Metacam (it's made with a 'honey odour'!) but unfortunately Roxy doesn't seem to be one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/pdfs/SyringeFeeding2014.pdf

I use a one ml syringe for just about everything, as I find it easier to manage :)

the more you do it the easier it gets, it just gets harder to catch them :lol:
throwing a towel over them like a net works quite well. just make sure it goes over all of them, head & back end, then swoop down & wrap it under them :)
be firm-ish, but not too firm.

there was usually a 'well-miffed' foot flick at me afterwards.

I've always just put it on nuggets, maybe with a little grated carrot, Treacle always wolfs it down before she notices ! No two buns are alike though, I'm sure others will have better suggestions x

Thanks guys, I have a little routine where I get prepared and I use a towel to wrap her in, it's as if she knows what's coming next and tries her best to escape from me....i'm hoping as it becomes more familiar to her that she might take it more willingly!
I hope your Henry is better soon Craig, they are sure a worry at times :?

I've always just put it on nuggets, maybe with a little grated carrot, Treacle always wolfs it down before she notices ! No two buns are alike though, I'm sure others will have better suggestions x

i'd never even thought of this when Chester was poorly :( the vet handed me the meds & syringes so that's what i did.

... and sorry binkygirl2013, i didn't read your post properly. please ignore me!

Yes i get a foot flick too :roll: I tried to give her it on a piece of cucumber earlier, she ignored it then her husbunny came along and wolfed it down...she then spent a few minutes licking the floor where it had been :shock: I think she just likes to give me the runaround!

Thanks guys, I have a little routine where I get prepared and I use a towel to wrap her in, it's as if she knows what's coming next and tries her best to escape from me....i'm hoping as it becomes more familiar to her that she might take it more willingly!
I hope your Henry is better soon Craig, they are sure a worry at times :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good luck with that!

Have you tried her with baby food, then with it mixed in? Frosty was on it twice a day for a short time and I discovered he loved Aldi baby food in a pouch, Apples, Carrots & Parsnips one he loved, and it became a treat for him to have a teaspoon of that with his metacam mixed in in a bowl, he wolfed it down!

I put the dreaded baytril (the really horrible stuff, tastes worse than earwax) on a fenugreek crunchie, left to soak in for 6-8hrs, and Lopsy is none the wiser! It worked with metacam too although he eventually took that off a spoon (chronic medication fear, regardless of taste!). I've watched the well-experienced vet nurse try to burrito him and it was near-impossible :S We never managed it but my friend and her husband could do it: we're too soft a touch :lol:

I put the dreaded baytril (the really horrible stuff, tastes worse than earwax) on a fenugreek crunchie, left to soak in for 6-8hrs, and Lopsy is none the wiser! It worked with metacam too although he eventually took that off a spoon (chronic medication fear, regardless of taste!). I've watched the well-experienced vet nurse try to burrito him and it was near-impossible :S We never managed it but my friend and her husband could do it: we're too soft a touch :lol:

:lol: that’s twice in a minute you’ve made me :lol: I nearly spat my coffee out :lol:

Haha I can't say I've tasted it but I believe you :lol: I did wonder if I spiked her food and left it to soak whether the drug would still be effective so I will try that too. I've been to buy some baby food so will try her on that to tonight. She quite happily let's the vet do it to her, the vet said she was a model patient but she just likes to act up for me :?

Back