• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long do leave your bunnies for?

loobers25

Warren Veteran
There maybe a possibility (depending if I actually get the job) that I could have a completely new job.

The hours would be 7.30am start and 3.30 finish. And I wouldn't be able to go home and feed the buns at lunch time

At the moment they get fed at 12.45pm daily as I cycle home on my lunch break. This started becoming a routine when Toby was unwell and now Dennis and Maple are in the same routine.

I'm worried about changing their routine and them being hungry

Opinions? xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I am sure if you give them plenty of hay in the morning they will last until the afternoon/evening. Mine certainly do :thumb:

In my view most of their food is there all the time i.e. hay. I can't see that they would become hungry. What do you feed them with at lunchtime, forage?

If I was going to worry about leaving them for several hours it would be more because they could become unwell rather than become hungry.

How long do you leave them at night for comparison?

There is usually one or other of us at home during the day and so the rabbits are not by themselves. They do get left for about 8 hours at night though, less so in the summer. We do on occasion go out all day though and that could be for up to a similar time i.e. 8 hours.

Personally I would change their routine, so that anything other than hay gets fed when you or your OH are around.

Mine only get fed twice a day but have lots of hay to munch on in between. They are left a long time as I am often out of the house for 12 hours. If anybun is sick I do change my routine so that I come home before I go out again. One of the reasons I haven't got a dog is because I am away from the home for too long at a time.

I know you hate your job so am sending lots of vibes that you get this new one xxx

There maybe a possibility (depending if I actually get the job) that I could have a completely new job.

The hours would be 7.30am start and 3.30 finish. And I wouldn't be able to go home and feed the buns at lunch time

At the moment they get fed at 12.45pm daily as I cycle home on my lunch break. This started becoming a routine when Toby was unwell and now Dennis and Maple are in the same routine.

I'm worried about changing their routine and them being hungry

Opinions? xx

Your buns should be fine left with a huge bowl of hay and forage :)

I hope you get the job (if it's what you want?) as you've been needing a change for a while.

Good luck with that :D

In my view most of their food is there all the time i.e. hay. I can't see that they would become hungry. What do you feed them with at lunchtime, forage?

If I was going to worry about leaving them for several hours it would be more because they could become unwell rather than become hungry.

How long do you leave them at night for comparison?

There is usually one or other of us at home during the day and so the rabbits are not by themselves. They do get left for about 8 hours at night though, less so in the summer. We do on occasion go out all day though and that could be for up to a similar time i.e. 8 hours.

Personally I would change their routine, so that anything other than hay gets fed when you or your OH are around.
It's forage and fresh noms at lunchtime run omi. I need a remote control feeder that drops forage from the ceiling! Maybe a drone

It's forage and fresh noms at lunchtime run omi. I need a remote control feeder that drops forage from the ceiling! Maybe a drone

I think they would adapt just fine :D

Good luck with the job :)

Mine are seen morning and night, so 7:30 and 17:30, on weekdays, although sometimes I pop out and disturb them when I'm home (they sleep most of the day). We've left them almost 40hrs before (so, seen early one morning then the following night) but that's an irregular thing, when we're away.

i agree.
the only thing i would add is that i like them to have 2 independent sources of fresh water - just in case 1 bowl gets knocked over or summat that they still have the other bowl and are not thirsty.

i also try & consider what the situation would be in the wild. i think they would be quite happy with 12hrs down a hole with no food or water.

i agree.
the only thing i would add is that i like them to have 2 independent sources of fresh water - just in case 1 bowl gets knocked over or summat that they still have the other bowl and are not thirsty.

i also try & consider what the situation would be in the wild. i think they would be quite happy with 12hrs down a hole with no food or water.
Good thinking. Syrup often fills the water bowl with hay making "warren tunnels"

I might get a bottle and a bowl. Thanks Mike

I hope you get the job (if it's what you want?) as you've been needing a change for a while.

Good luck with that :D
Thank you, every claw crossed please. Not getting my hopes up though

Mine are alone from about 8.30/9 to 5/6. But mine are indoors so I see them a lot in the evening, I'm not sure what your setup is. They adjust pretty quickly to new routines, at weekends I feed them differently if I'm at home just to mix things up a bit.

I'd agree with Omi & cut out lunch . Breakfast tea & supper is all mine get & I'm here all the time. I also think you deserve a break - or at least a lunch. I panic if mine are left more than 6 hours as it very rarely exceeeds this & Boo gets chasey when food is late.

Loads & loads of luck for the interview - all paws crossed for you xx

When I used to commute into the office in central London my buns were left for about 10 hours. They were fine with plenty of fresh hay, big bowl of forage and a big bowl of water. My main worry, as Omi mentions, was in case they got sick early in the day and I wasn’t there to get them to the vets quickly.

I work from home full time and it’s the same routine as before: fresh greens in the morning and evening and hay and forage for the main part of the day. The main bonus is that I’m here to spot any signs of illness and can whip them up the vets pretty quickly.

I’ve got everything crossed that all goes well for the new job xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main worry too was Toby developing stasis whilst I was out and why I've got into this routine.

Thank you for the reassurance everybun, do you think i should cutting the lunch portions down now? I think I'll get a nest with camera set up so I can keep my peepers on them.

My main worry too was Toby developing stasis whilst I was out and why I've got into this routine.

Thank you for the reassurance everybun, do you think i should cutting the lunch portions down now? I think I'll get a nest with camera set up so I can keep my peepers on them.

Yea get a camera :)

And I'd gradually just start putting lunch out with breakfast, then seeing how they get on :D

Yes, I would work towards no top-ups at lunchtime. My rabbits actually sleep from mid-morning to just past lunchtime. They get breakfast, tea and supper, otherwise just hay.

Thank you, every claw crossed please. Not getting my hopes up though

Just got them all crossed for you L :D

My bunnies are very deprived, obviously, as they only get fed 'food' twice a day :lol:
They have hay and grass all the time, and three bowls of water dotted around the place :)

being crepuscular animals they are probably loving getting an unexpected lunch and obviously aren't going to refuse it :lol:

Back