• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dennis has arthritis?

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Good morning everybun,

So I'm noticing quite a fast onset of what I believe could be arthritis.

Dennis doesn't hop any more but walks. He also prefers to eat hay and forage in a sploot or laying postion. I believe it could be his hips/hind legs?

I was just doing some research and it says that arthritic bunnys are prone to flaky skin as they can't groom properly. This could explain why I thought he had mites!

When we was bonding downstairs we had lots of zooms and binkies on the carpet. I believe he had alot better traction on the carpet. I have now covered the bunny room in hay and I see a small improvement.

Yesterday at 6.20pm we could hear Dennis banging around and crashing as it was feeding time. By the time I'd got upstairs he was puffed out and splootin and wouldn't eat his food. 45 minutes later he was ravenous. I believe when ge gets hungry he starts getting excited trying to zoom around then knackers himself out. Would anyone have any experience?

I have some oxbow joint support but unfortunately Dennis will not eat them. What's the best way of sneaking this to him? I also have a big bottle of Metacam left from Toby and I'm tempted to try him on this to see if there is any improvement. Obviously I will mention this to John at next appointment.

Is there anything else we could try? Supplement or any foods that could help?

Also thank you for putting up with my Dennis worry threads but I have to follow my instinct

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I've had a couple of elderly buns develop arthritis. My Bridge Bun Dylan was on daily metacam once it was diagnosed. Once this stopped working he was given tramadol which he continued taking until he was helped to the Bridge.

The difference the medication made was awesome and it was very clear when he needed an increase in dose or to move onto additional meds (tramadol).

I find putting medication in a piece of bread or toast works wonders. The toast is slightly better as it is crunchy anyway so the bun doesn't notice the hardness of the tablet. Dylan was very old and I had trouble keeping his weight on so he had lots of 'naughty' food anyway.

Sending lots of vibes for your gorgeous Dennis xxx

I've had a couple of elderly buns develop arthritis. My Bridge Bun Dylan was on daily metacam once it was diagnosed. Once this stopped working he was given tramadol which he continued taking until he was helped to the Bridge.

The difference the medication made was awesome and it was very clear when he needed an increase in dose or to move onto additional meds (tramadol).

I find putting medication in a piece of bread or toast works wonders. The toast is slightly better as it is crunchy anyway so the bun doesn't notice the hardness of the tablet. Dylan was very old and I had trouble keeping his weight on so he had lots of 'naughty' food anyway.

Sending lots of vibes for your gorgeous Dennis xxx
Thank you Karen. Is It just white bread toasted? I have never given bread before xx

Tan had Arthritis, confirmed by examination by my vet. She had started to move around more slowly, much like an elderly lady :) She never gave the impression that she was in very much pain and never stopped eating. She was prescribed daily Metacam and that seemed to help, but she never returned to being a sprightly energetic rabbit. She did begin to lose muscle condition in her lower back.

I would discuss it with your vet before giving Dennis any Metacam. I think they would want to see him first.

Tan had Arthritis, confirmed by examination by my vet. She had started to move around more slowly, much like an elderly lady :) She never gave the impression that she was in very much pain and never stopped eating. She was prescribed daily Metacam and that seemed to help, but she never returned to being a sprightly energetic rabbit. She did begin to lose muscle condition in her lower back.

I would discuss it with your vet before giving Dennis any Metacam. I think they would want to see him first.
How old was Tan when you started noticing the change in her?

Thank you Omi. Was it only metacam she was on? Did you add anything to her diet at all?

Yes, only Metacam. We didn't add anything specific to her diet. However, we did make sure we encouraged her to move more. She started to lose a small amount of weight and so she got extra FibaFirst sneaked to her when the other two weren't watching :)

Tbh it didn't seem to trouble her very much. She just moved more slowly and didn't periscope.

I used wholemeal bread as I thought that would be healthier for Dylan. I only gave a tiny piece initially but it worked to hide the tablet in. He loved it and when it was clear that he would soon be going to the Bridge I gave him much bigger pieces as it did help to maintain his weight. Bread isn't ideal bunny food, I do know that, but it was a method that worked for me. I also tried a piece of apple but he ate the apple and left the tablet.

My vet at the time was aware and OK with it as a way of giving meds that worked and didn't stress Dylan out.

I don't know how old he was as I didn't know his age when I adopted him but he went grey two or three years before he went to the Bridge. He was a gorgeous gentle bun. I loved my Dylan :love:

Yes, only Metacam. We didn't add anything specific to her diet. However, we did make sure we encouraged her to move more. She started to lose a small amount of weight and so she got extra FibaFirst sneaked to her when the other two weren't watching :)

Tbh it didn't seem to trouble her very much. She just moved more slowly and didn't periscope.
Thank you. OH is at home on the bun run now. Says Dennis was so hungry he bit his ankle. You have to watch out as he tries to tug at your socks in impatience

I used wholemeal bread as I thought that would be healthier for Dylan. I only gave a tiny piece initially but it worked to hide the tablet in. He loved it and when it was clear that he would soon be going to the Bridge I gave him much bigger pieces as it did help to maintain his weight. Bread isn't ideal bunny food, I do know that, but it was a method that worked for me. I also tried a piece of apple but he ate the apple and left the tablet.

My vet at the time was aware and OK with it as a way of giving meds that worked and didn't stress Dylan out.

I don't know how old he was as I didn't know his age when I adopted him but he went grey two or three years before he went to the Bridge. He was a gorgeous gentle bun. I loved my Dylan :love:
Aww Dylan. Dennis has grey hairs too. Thank you Karen I will investigate this further xx

I'm sorry you have more Dennis woes but do understand your concerns. Is he due back for another mite injection soon? I'd maybe call Uncle John & tell him your concerns - maybe a video of Denny moving would be useful. Does he appear bright in manner?

I was thinking about the joint support tabs. I think I'd experiment in ways we pimp up recovery food . Try grinding down then adding flavour - tiny bit of grated pear, banana, fenugreek powder, dried herbs. This i of course if just softened doesn't work. I hope you can convince him to tr them as we think they have helped Mouse xxx

Interesting re: what Omi says about periscopng. I don't think I've ever seen Mouse periscope :(

I'm sorry you have more Dennis woes but do understand your concerns. Is he due back for another mite injection soon? I'd maybe call Uncle John & tell him your concerns - maybe a video of Denny moving would be useful. Does he appear bright in manner?

I was thinking about the joint support tabs. I think I'd experiment in ways we pimp up recovery food . Try grinding down then adding flavour - tiny bit of grated pear, banana, fenugreek powder, dried herbs. This i of course if just softened doesn't work. I hope you can convince him to tr them as we think they have helped Mouse xxx

Interesting re: what Omi says about periscopng. I don't think I've ever seen Mouse periscope :(
I'm going to try Joint tablet soaked with water and mix in with parsley. I'll report back to base. Maple must be feeling very limber with all the joint tabs she keeps sneaking off Dennis!

My 5 and half year old bunny has just been diagnosed with slight arthritis in her back. I noticed she was quiet some days and sometimes sat hunched as if she was in pain, she also had a couple of water infections recently which the vet thinks is down to her finding painful to fully empty her bladder due to the arthritis. She's now on a small daily dose of Metacam which I give her at tea time and on an evening we have lots of running around and binkies! If only she realised this was what was making her feel better and take it willing :?

Parsley trick was a no

What about oats although I understand they are fattening?

My 5 and half year old bunny has just been diagnosed with slight arthritis in her back. I noticed she was quiet some days and sometimes sat hunched as if she was in pain, she also had a couple of water infections recently which the vet thinks is down to her finding painful to fully empty her bladder due to the arthritis. She's now on a small daily dose of Metacam which I give her at tea time and on an evening we have lots of running around and binkies! If only she realised this was what was making her feel better and take it willing :?

I am really happy you are getting binkies. I'm glad you have an Improvement and I hope my vet will agree for us to try metacam :)

Last edited:
Sorry to be so late to this thread Loobs ! You have already been given some good suggestions. Endeavour, my Ermine Rex, was diagnosed with early onset arthritis at the age of about 2. His lumbar spine and hips being the worst affected.

If your Vet confirms that Dennis is showing signs of arthritis then he may suggest an Xray to ascertain exactly where and how advanced it is. I always feel it to be useful to have as much information about the Bunny's condition as possible.

Endeavour was started on Metacam-on the higher end of the dose range initially and this was gradually reduced to the lowest dose possible to give adequate analgesic cover. He has his Metacam in 12 hourly doses. He also has Ranitidine to protect his stomach from ulceration, a possible side effect of the long term use of NSAIDs such as Metacam. We did try Endeavour with acupuncture, but unfortunately he found that to be too stressful. But he does enjoy his daily massage sessions. As he has aged (he'll be 6 in March) his arthritis has had a few more 'flare ups' where he has required both a higher dose of Metacam and also the addition of Tramadol. He also seems to benefit from having additional massage sessions. Thankfully the 'flare ups' have settled down again so far. I think sometimes he jars his back doing a binky (yes, he still can binky!) and that aggravates the arthritis and increases the pain.

The other things to keep an eye on with arthritic Bunnies are the hocks, the bum and the ear canals. Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of arthritis. Arthritic Bunnies may not be able to keep their Bums clean/eat all their cecotrophs .They may also get gunky ears as they may not be able to clean them by 'washing' and having a scratch of them.

You have probably seen these links but I'll post them again anyway just incase you haven't :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...bit-arthritis/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...is_rabbits.htm

http://www.moorgatevets.co.uk/factsh...4_290501.shtml

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html

Physiotherapy can be helpful as part of the management of Arthritis in Rabbits
http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/

Sorry to be so late to this thread Loobs ! You have already been given some good suggestions. Endeavour, my Ermine Rex, was diagnosed with early onset arthritis at the age of about 2. His lumbar spine and hips being the worst affected.

If your Vet confirms that Dennis is showing signs of arthritis then he may suggest an Xray to ascertain exactly where and how advanced it is. I always feel it to be useful to have as much information about the Bunny's condition as possible.

Endeavour was started on Metacam-on the higher end of the dose range initially and this was gradually reduced to the lowest dose possible to give adequate analgesic cover. He has his Metacam in 12 hourly doses. He also has Ranitidine to protect his stomach from ulceration, a possible side effect of the long term use of NSAIDs such as Metacam. We did try Endeavour with acupuncture, but unfortunately he found that to be too stressful. But he does enjoy his daily massage sessions. As he has aged (he'll be 6 in March) his arthritis has had a few more 'flare ups' where he has required both a higher dose of Metacam and also the addition of Tramadol. He also seems to benefit from having additional massage sessions. Thankfully the 'flare ups' have settled down again so far. I think sometimes he jars his back doing a binky (yes, he still can binky!) and that aggravates the arthritis and increases the pain.

The other things to keep an eye on with arthritic Bunnies are the hocks, the bum and the ear canals. Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of arthritis. Arthritic Bunnies may not be able to keep their Bums clean/eat all their cecotrophs .They may also get gunky ears as they may not be able to clean them by 'washing' and having a scratch of them.

You have probably seen these links but I'll post them again anyway just incase you haven't :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...bit-arthritis/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...is_rabbits.htm

http://www.moorgatevets.co.uk/factsh...4_290501.shtml

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html

Physiotherapy can be helpful as part of the management of Arthritis in Rabbits
http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/
Thank you very much Jane. Does arthritis hurt all the time or only when they move. Or is It flare ups of constant pain? That's a good idea about the raditine I will definitely also ask for that if Dennis goes long term metacam xx

Back