• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Baths

BugBabe

Warren Scout
Hi

Just a silly question. Can you bath bunnies when they are smelly / dirty? I mean holding them in a bowl / sink of luke warm plain water and just splashing the desired areas? Would that be ok? My little boys, like to dig and go everywhere in the garden and they do get a bit dirty! They are good at cleaning themselves but they can also be a bit smelly at times.

Anna, Bob & Dexter xx :rabbit2:

Bathing a bun isn't really necessary unless it's something absolutely urgent as bathing can stress them out.

When I butt bathe a bun, it's usually only the bit that needs washing and I make sure that the bun is then carefully dried afterwards.

You can also use wet wipes for a quicker, drier clean up.

Why are the buns smelly though?

I don't know why they are smelly! After reading other posts I wonder if it is because they are not neutered and horny! They often smell pooy, but I clean them regulalry and check their bums twice daily. I thought a bath may fragrance them up abit!

Whats your tactics for catching them to do this?

If there is slight hint of me even picking them up they are out of there!

We have just bathed basil, and to say he doesnt enjoy it is an understatement! it took three of us to give him a quick wash, he struggled at every oportunity. only bath them if you need to, basil has had to baths and he didnt enjoy either.

If you do bath them, wear old clothes and have plenty of towels at the ready!
Good Luck :lol:

ok cool thamks for the replies.
My buns loved being picked up! Is that weird? They climb all over us and jump on us when we go to their hutch. When they were having their jabs they came over to their mummy and put their paws on me and didn't setle until they had had cuddles!

BugBabe said:
ok cool thamks for the replies.
My buns loved being picked up! Is that weird? They climb all over us and jump on us when we go to their hutch.

I'm jealous! Mine are so independant and self maintained. They dont need me...much :(

I was sat in there pen last night and they come and sniff, and put there paws on my generally I think as I am in their way! I get the odd stroke in but Anna isnt keen, she seems to want to bite me more than anything.

Amy my dwarf bunny, loves being picked up and having cuddles! When we were at the vets last week she had her paws up on me, as if to say, mum help!! Bless her, loves having her nose rubbed too, could sit there for hours, as does Princess my foster bun. She hates being picked up tho, struggles at every opportunity, but will always come up to you to have her nose rubbed. Pippa isn't keen on being picked up, but will sit still in your arms when you do, she has always been a shy bunny.

That's what I love bout bunnies, they are all so different, I'm glad I have three completely different characters, makes life much more interesting!

Back