• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel like an idiot! Need some advice badly

Hi everyone...
I am new to this website and need some advice badly about pregnancy and birth.
Around Halloween two of our bunnies...male and female..were put into the same cage while we were modeling(accidently!). None of us actually saw them mating but within the past few days the female has become ALOT bigger around her abdomen. I "think" she might be pregnant! I have no idea what to do!!!!
I read on the internet what some of the symptoms of pregnancy are and she has manyof them. She has started to pull out her hair, her nipples are becoming larger and she has started to eat more.
I read that she will need a nest box? I called a few local pet stores and nobody sells them. I plan on ordering one today via the internet but I am afraid it wont make it here on time. What can I use? What matterials do I put in the cage with her? Is it safe to handle the babies?
ANY advice is greatly appreciated and needed. As you can tell, I have never had a bunny before these and have no idea what to do!
Thanks again for your help!
Nicole (nana_of_bunnies)
[/code]

Ooooo Nicole, what a pickle you're in. Ah well, looks like it's done now.
I've no experience at all in dealing with pregnant does, but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you sound advice.

This might help in the meantime http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/surpriselitter.html

You'll need to plan soon what you're going to do with the kits as well.

Good luck, and think about neutering the buns at some point in the future :wink:

Thank you!!! One more question

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for the advice and link. The information provided gave me so much more knowledge! I just hope all goes well...
One more question for anyone who may know please....
When she is giving birth...do I assist at all or just let nature take its course?

Oooooerrrrrr :? I think rabbits normally give birth through the night (is this right anyone?), so I think I would leave it to nature unless there was any evident problems. First litters sometimes go horribly wrong as the mother is inexperienced (help somebody!) she may be a good mum and everything goes ok, or she may be a bad mum and scatter her litter, resort to eating her babies (OMG help anyone!)

HELP!!!!!, anyone, getting out of my depth here :shock: :? :lol:

Hiya Chick,

I am new too, but I may be being stupid but I think this topic would be better if it were posted on one of the other boards, e.g. Rabbit care (the 4th one down), as I think this board is more for technical support regarding your computing problems etc. More people will see your post on the other board and may be able to give you more advice.

Good luck

Hi Nicole

Try not to panick to much, hopefully Tamsin will move this to the rabbit care section which is where all the experts on here will assist you :D

Is the lady in question indoors or out doors?

Hopefully everyone will come to your rescue later tonight when everyone is logged on. :D :D

Keeps us posted of the situation :D :D

Thanks!!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I decided to take your advice and post this in the right section ( helps huh lol). Thanks again!
Nicole
P.S They are inside bunnies : 0 )

Back