• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not using hind leg...

supersonic

Mama Doe
So yesterday, Sonic was out in the garden for ages. Doing his usual rabbity things, annoying my mum who was trying to repot some plants, keeping an eye on the guinea pigs as per usual, and played up when we were trying to catch him in.

He thumped quite a bit overnight, however this is pretty common, as we think he's learnt to do it for attention :roll: I slept with my window open, so if there's something in the garden, I usually hear it, and there was nothing last night (I've been sleeping really lightly for a while).

Today, he's not using his left hind leg. He's picking it up rather than dragging it on the floor, so we've ruled out any stroke or nervous system damage. He's still eating, pooping, and his cecotropes are no where to be seen, so he must still be eating them. His bum is clean, and he had a little wash whilst I was with him, but he's a bit down in the dumps :( He's a very active rabbit, especially for 9 1/2, so he will be upset that he can't move around as much.

He's booked in to see the vet at 6:30, but he hates it, so a few good luck vibes would be well received...

Anyone else had a rabbit do this?

Sending lots of vibes for him, I’ve not had experience of this so I can’t advise. I hope the vet can help xx

So yesterday, Sonic was out in the garden for ages. Doing his usual rabbity things, annoying my mum who was trying to repot some plants, keeping an eye on the guinea pigs as per usual, and played up when we were trying to catch him in.

He thumped quite a bit overnight, however this is pretty common, as we think he's learnt to do it for attention :roll: I slept with my window open, so if there's something in the garden, I usually hear it, and there was nothing last night (I've been sleeping really lightly for a while).

Today, he's not using his left hind leg. He's picking it up rather than dragging it on the floor, so we've ruled out any stroke or nervous system damage. He's still eating, pooping, and his cecotropes are no where to be seen, so he must still be eating them. His bum is clean, and he had a little wash whilst I was with him, but he's a bit down in the dumps :( He's a very active rabbit, especially for 9 1/2, so he will be upset that he can't move around as much.

He's booked in to see the vet at 6:30, but he hates it, so a few good luck vibes would be well received...

Poor lad. He may have injured his leg from all the thumping. Hopefully it will be a minor injury and not a fracture. Sending lots of vibes xx

I've just come back from the vet myself!

How did your appointment go? :wave:

It was a broken femur, he's gone :(

Thank you for all the good vibes and thoughts. He had a good run, made lots of people laugh, and he was one in a million. I'm sad he was in pain, but he's not anymore.

MightyMax, I hope your appointment went better than mine!

It was a broken femur, he's gone :(

Thank you for all the good vibes and thoughts. He had a good run, made lots of people laugh, and he was one in a million. I'm sad he was in pain, but he's not anymore.

MightyMax, I hope your appointment went better than mine!

Good grief that's devastating, I am so sorry :(

Oh no, I'm so sad and sorry to read this :cry: Sonic was a wonderful rabbit :love:

Sending you lots of love and hugs.

I'm so sorry you have lost Sonic. Thinking of you at this difficult time xxx

Similar happened to my french lop Clive. Came home to find him laid out completely paralysed from the waist down...with no apparent reason or other injury. Straight to the vets who thought he must have twisted himself whilst hopping/binkying ....difficult to say. Sadly, the only outcome was for him to be put to sleep. I remember the day as though it was yesterday....totally devastated...still am. You have all my thoughts xxx

I'm so sorry you have lost Sonic. Thinking of you at this difficult time xxx

Similar happened to my french lop Clive. Came home to find him laid out completely paralysed from the waist down...with no apparent reason or other injury. Straight to the vets who thought he must have twisted himself whilst hopping/binkying ....difficult to say. Sadly, the only outcome was for him to be put to sleep. I remember the day as though it was yesterday....totally devastated...still am. You have all my thoughts xxx

They definitely take a piece of our hearts with them when they go, and we are never the same again.

I am so sorry for your loss xx

Thank you :( I'm so sad. Vet reckons he actually broke it whilst thumping. He was in such good shape for any rabbit, never mind a 9.5 year old.

So sorry to hear about this, what a terrible accident, he sounds like a lovely bun. Binky free Sonic x

Back