• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had to help Benji to the bridge... devastated

benjiboom

Warren Scout
We had to say goodbye to Benji on Friday 4th January after having him for almost 9 years as our free range house bun. We are devastated, I keep thinking I didn't get him to the vets quick enough, and I let him down! We had been out celebrating New Years Eve, and when we came home I gave Benji his metacam on his banana ata about 2.30 AM, he wasnt interested but I thought maybe it was because it was out of his normal routine etc. When we got up in the morning he had eaten the banana and a few of his pellets, so we carried on with what we were doing taking the Christmas decs down as my husband was returning to work the next day, we kept checking on him, he lived under the dining room table where he chose to live himself, Paul and I were trying him with parsley and kale but he wasnt interested. At 12.30 lunchtime we decided to take him to the vet, and got an appt for 2pm. He had to stay in the vets as they thought it could be a spur on his molar, he had only had a dental done 5 weeks previously! Anyway, the vet said it wasnt his teeth and did xrays, which revealed a small lump on his kidney, and a swollen caecum. Benji was on strong pain meds, sub cutaeneous fluids and syringe fed.
The vet said to operate would be too much for Benji in his condition and his age, so to continue with the treatment at the vets for a few days in the hope he would start to eat again. On Friday I went to see him at the vets, he was very sad looking and suddenly looked old to me, and he was still tooth grinding. The vet said it would be the kindest thing to let him go, and I could see thats what Benji needed. I was there with him till the end, and cuddled him. I am lost without him, he was a very special rabbit and we had a very close bond with him, but I feel like I let him down:cry::cry: Sleep tight Benji my little friend Xxx

We had to say goodbye to Benji on Friday 4th January after having him for almost 9 years as our free range house bun. We are devastated, I keep thinking I didn't get him to the vets quick enough, and I let him down! We had been out celebrating New Years Eve, and when we came home I gave Benji his metacam on his banana ata about 2.30 AM, he wasnt interested but I thought maybe it was because it was out of his normal routine etc. When we got up in the morning he had eaten the banana and a few of his pellets, so we carried on with what we were doing taking the Christmas decs down as my husband was returning to work the next day, we kept checking on him, he lived under the dining room table where he chose to live himself, Paul and I were trying him with parsley and kale but he wasnt interested. At 12.30 lunchtime we decided to take him to the vet, and got an appt for 2pm. He had to stay in the vets as they thought it could be a spur on his molar, he had only had a dental done 5 weeks previously! Anyway, the vet said it wasnt his teeth and did xrays, which revealed a small lump on his kidney, and a swollen caecum. Benji was on strong pain meds, sub cutaeneous fluids and syringe fed.
The vet said to operate would be too much for Benji in his condition and his age, so to continue with the treatment at the vets for a few days in the hope he would start to eat again. On Friday I went to see him at the vets, he was very sad looking and suddenly looked old to me, and he was still tooth grinding. The vet said it would be the kindest thing to let him go, and I could see thats what Benji needed. I was there with him till the end, and cuddled him. I am lost without him, he was a very special rabbit and we had a very close bond with him, but I feel like I let him down:cry::cry: Sleep tight Benji my little friend Xxx

I am so very sorry :cry: You certainly have not 'let him down'. You were brave and selfless enough to do what was in his best interests- to let him go. The final act of love we can give to our dear companion and friend so they do not suffer.

RIP Benji xx

I am sorry you have had to say Goodbye to Benji. It is painful but he had a good long life of love and care. xx

What an awful shock. Please rest assured that you certainly didn't let down your Benji. You gave him love and care for all those years and made the kindest decision when he was so poorly and nothing further could be done to help him. We always blame ourselves - it seems to go with the territory when we love our pets.

I’m so sorry :cry:you definitely didn’t let him down. You did the kindest thing for him letting him go. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free Benji xx

I am so very sorry to read this sad news :cry: I also do not for one minute think that you let him down.

I am sorry to hear you have lost a trusted friend and a part of your familly. You did in no way let benji down. You did every thing you could and were selfless in your actions. You released him from the pain and were with him at the time he needed you most. He will always be looking over you and knows how much you love him. Hugs x

I am so so sorry to hear that you have lost your very special rabbit :(

You have not let him down. It's an awful decision to have to make, and it literally feels like your heart is being torn out.
It was the kindest thing that you did, but I know how terribly difficult and painful this was for you.

Sending loads of love and hugs xx

I'm so sorry. I loved your Benji, he was like a super fluffy Mousepie. Sweet dreams lovely boy xx

So sorry to hear this very sad news, as others have said, no way did you let Benji down. Binky free little bunny xxx

So very sorry to hear about Benji, but you did the very kindest thing possible and most certainly did not let him down.

Now please be kind to yourself because you were with him at the end giving him the best cuddles and loves he could ever have as he slipped into his forever sleep. He knew you loved him and to let our beloved pets go is one of the hardest decisions we have to make, but make them we must - if only we could do the same for humans when they suffer so.

(((hugs))) xx

Thankyou everyone for your very kind messages. I guess it is part of the grieving process to think all the what ifs, I keep thinking what if I had taken him to the vets earlier😦

I hope you can see the pic of Benji i posted, dont know how else to post pics🙄 This is how i will always remember him, having fun in the garden Xxx

Thankyou everyone for your very kind messages. I guess it is part of the grieving process to think all the what ifs, I keep thinking what if I had taken him to the vets earlier��

I think most of us on here question ourselves endlessly after we lose a Rabbit. Going over what we did or didn't do. But from the information you posted about Benji actual problems I honestly dont think the outcome would have been any different had you taken him to the Vet earlier. By the sounds of it his problems were not going to be remedy by medical treatment and surgery was not an option. I hope that in time you will be able to be less harsh on yourself. You have always done your best for Benji and doing our best is the most any of us can do.

Benji really had a great life with you and his presence will remain in all the happy memories he has left for you to hold within your heart. His physical being may no longer be with you, but as long as you remember him he will never really have gone. And I am sure that you will always remember him :love:

Back