• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Misty's Chin saga!!!!

BarneysMum

New Kit
A few weeks ago i put a post on here about my female rabbit Misty and the fact that she had a really big chin!! I'd learnt that it was actually called a dewlap and there was nothing to worry about!! Well............
Yesterday i went into the shed that she shares with her male buddy Barney and saw that there was white creamy thick stuff everywhere!!! It looked like yoghurt and at first i thought one of them had been sick. :?: Then i saw that Misty's chin was a heck of a lot smaller than usual and when we eventually picked her up (which she usually hates!!!) we saw that her "dewlap" had a hole in it the size of a fifty pence piece!!! :x
Being out of hours we had to use the emergency vet number and got her looked at as soon as we could. The vet said that it was actually a massive abscess which had finally popped!! The vet pulled loads more of the yucky stuff out of poor Misty who was the best behaved that we have ever seen her. She's now on antibiotics and we have to swab out the empty hole twice a day. She is so much calmer now and lets you actually pick her up. All along i thought that she was just a moody bunny but the poor thing must have just been so fed up with her growing chin!!
I did feel really guilty for not noticing sooner but when she had her injections a while ago even the vet didnt notice so it was just one of those things!! Fingers crossed that it heals well!!! :|

Wow, that must have been quite a surprise. Usually rabbit puss is quite thick and cheesy (yes ewww) so abcesses are quite obvious hard lumps. Its unusual for the puss to pour out. Good though because it means that she'll hopefully heal faster because the abcess will drain better.

I hope she heals up quickly with the antibiotics, I bet she's more comfortable with a smaller chin.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Thanks for all your messages!! :D She seems fairly bright this morning, eating as usual and the wound is drying up nicely. Off to the vets tomorrow for a check up!

Back