• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So surprised in a great way :)

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
My two girls Harlequin and Beauty have been getting a little bit more affectionate each day so I thought I would try some thing new :)
I put my head at their bowl in the hall way and pretended to eat :eek:
After getting a few looks that made me think they though I was weird ( no surprise there ) Harlequin came up and joined me and started eating with my face an inch away from hers ( no photo :( ) and then I got groomed.
Until today I thought I was enemy number one after syringe feeding and medicating Beauty with Harlequin watching so this came as a huge surprise today :)

ead81d6c32481123b8526576b6ac2451.jpg

c4074287cb88794e8b5d1ff17e816f8a.jpg

34483192f10bd03a28e0cda005b497e0.jpg

6c895fe8082a4eae7ee1fd1f43607e59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two girls Harlequin and Beauty have been getting a little bit more affectionate each day so I thought I would try some thing new :)
After getting a few looks that made me think they though I was weird ( no surprise there ) Harlequin came up and joined me and started eating with my face an inch away from hers ( no photo :( ) and then I got groomed.
Until today I thought I was enemy number one after syringe feeding and medicating Beauty with Harlequin watching so this came as a huge surprise today :)

ead81d6c32481123b8526576b6ac2451.jpg

c4074287cb88794e8b5d1ff17e816f8a.jpg

34483192f10bd03a28e0cda005b497e0.jpg

6c895fe8082a4eae7ee1fd1f43607e59.jpg

Oh Lisa that's wonderful :love:

I've done that before. And been groomed. And you do realise that you are now an honorary rabbit?:love:

That's lovely, its extremely rewarding when you make a connection like that and what a cute pair of bunnies too :love:

The other day I had to clean Lola's poopy butt (tummy bun) she started grooming my leg as I was doing it. Normally she gets really fed up with me as I try and do it, but this time she accepted it and was ok enough with it to do that. It melted my heart!

It suprised the hell out of me but put a huge smile on my face :)

No I didn’t realise it made me an honorary rabbit :eek: I thought maybe I was being checked out for smells to see if they could detect there was some thing maybe wrong or weird about me. I’m glad it’s not that tho :)

Harlequin also decided to climb on my back and go to sleep on me whilst I layed on the floor. Didn’t move for an hour even though it got painfull lol didn’t want to spook her and undo all the good progress so I let her wake up and jump off me.

It suprised the hell out of me but put a huge smile on my face :)

No I didn’t realise it made me an honorary rabbit :eek: I thought maybe I was being checked out for smells to see if they could detect there was some thing maybe wrong or weird about me. I’m glad it’s not that tho :)

Harlequin also decided to climb on my back and go to sleep on me whilst I layed on the floor. Didn’t move for an hour even though it got painfull lol didn’t want to spook her and undo all the good progress so I let her wake up and jump off me.

https://rabbit.org/journal/2-8/honorary-rabbit.html

More than any overt behavior or action, the status of Honorary Rabbit is a feeling, unmistakable, from her heart to yours.

Hi newbabybuns. Aww bless I think some times it shows they know we’re doing what’s best for them and it’s their way of showing us it’s ok with them.

Beauty has been going through stasis and that was the reason for syringe feeding but I would sit with them afterwards because I felt so bad about stressing her out so much but when I sat there not moving they would come up and nudge me with noses and use me as a leaning post to periscope.

I took this as an it’s ok sign. Some one tell me if I’m reading to much into this?

Any ideas on other things I can try would be very much apreciate day :)

It sounds like they are completely comfortable in your company :love:

I think sitting with them after meds is a nice idea. I imagine it helps them forget that the medication just happened part and they don't learn to only associate you with stressful things happening. In my experience, eg my Cookie bun just the other day when I picked her up (she hates it) bunnies hold a grudge :lol: so distracting them from it as soon as possible is always a good idea!

I wouldn’t say completely but they don’t always scarper from the hallway when I walk in any more which is a nice progress. We’ve only had them 13 days.

Cookie bun sounds like an adorable bun. I hope she doesn’t hold grudges long.

I think they distract me more then I do them lol it’s so cute to watch them chase the brush when I’m cleaning out the hutch and and I always get a nightly run around when it’s time for them to go to bed :)

Awwww you've been accepted! [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] One of mine grooms me all the time, it's the best thing ever [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] you're so lucky :D

Sent from my swarmic device

Sound like you enjoy it as much as your buns enjoy doing it [emoji16]
Iv never thought about being an honarary rabbit until MightyMax mentioned it.
Maybe I should start helping with the remodelling of the cardboard house with my teeth next [emoji6]

awesome!

It sounds like they are completely comfortable in your company :love:

I think sitting with them after meds is a nice idea. I imagine it helps them forget that the medication just happened part and they don't learn to only associate you with stressful things happening. In my experience, eg my Cookie bun just the other day when I picked her up (she hates it) bunnies hold a grudge :lol: so distracting them from it as soon as possible is always a good idea!

they certainly do!

I wouldn’t say completely but they don’t always scarper from the hallway when I walk in any more which is a nice progress. We’ve only had them 13 days.

Cookie bun sounds like an adorable bun. I hope she doesn’t hold grudges long.

I think they distract me more then I do them lol it’s so cute to watch them chase the brush when I’m cleaning out the hutch and and I always get a nightly run around when it’s time for them to go to bed :)

i think you've made amazing progress in 13 days!

i've had Pepper for nearly 3 months now. if he's hungry, he will just about come to me with Poppy and cautiously take a bit of food from my hand, but apart from that the nearest i could probably get to him is about 1 metre.
i went outside yesterday to say hello to them & he scarpered! i must've surprised him.

do you lock them in their hutch at night? and have trouble getting them in?
if so, i think perhaps you should start giving them veg now. i think it's time anyway, but give them hay & veg now & reserve pellets for once a day, you can put the pellets in the hutch when you need to put them away.... just let them go in the hutch to feed & lock the door.

↑↑↑ please confirm any advise i might offer with others as i am no expert!

i've had Pepper for nearly 3 months now. if he's hungry, he will just about come to me with Poppy and cautiously take a bit of food from my hand, but apart from that the nearest i could probably get to him is about 1 metre.
i went outside yesterday to say hello to them & he scarpered! i must've surprised him.

if so, i think perhaps you should start giving them veg now. i think it's time anyway, but give them hay & veg now & reserve pellets for once a day, you can put the pellets in the hutch when you need to put them away.... just let them go in the hutch to feed & lock the door.

I personally think it depends how old they are :)

I normally introduce veg very slowly at around 16 weeks, but again this might not be the best thing to do either [emoji38]

Sent from my swarmic device

Sound like you enjoy it as much as your buns enjoy doing it [emoji16]
Iv never thought about being an honarary rabbit until MightyMax mentioned it.
Maybe I should start helping with the remodelling of the cardboard house with my teeth next [emoji6]

:lol::lol:

Thanks. I think it’s all the sitting or laying in the hall way not moving and basically ignoring them just letting them know I’m there. They have taken pellets from my had from about 4days after having them and will now eat from a bowl on my lap and climb all over me and Harlequin went to sleep on my back for an hour yesterday.

Have you tried just sitting in the same area as Poppy? Not close but so she can see your not doing much of any thing.

Regarding food I was going to change pellets slowly starting Boxing Day but then Beauty had the stasis. The breeder did not give them grate food. Also realising that they probably getting to many pellets as they leaving about 1/3 after 5hrs so decided to take the remaining away last night as they also leaving a lot of cepotropes. Once the pellet change is done I want to add in some alfalfa and then veg. They basically got limited hay poor quality pellets and no veg from the breeder so going to take it really slow and start with pellets in few days as Beauty’s gut has only just got back to normal.

Was going to use the veg to lure them back in to stay for the night as some times it’s up to an hour to get them to bed then a full on protest.

Back