• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter tray training

june

Young Bun
Hi
I have brought my 2 rabbits in for the winter months and I bought them a litter tray. They just get in the tray and out again and when they do their pooh etc they use the small side of their hutch. Has anybody any ideas on how to train them to use the tray?
thanks Bunny Mums
June :roll:

Normal practice is to put the litter tray where they pee most. Another thing you could try is take some of the soiled shavings/bedding/paper and put it in the tray then put the tray where you want them to pee. But I think they'll probably keep going to the usual corner though, you could always get two litter trays and try both :lol:

Yeah I'd suggest putting it where they go the most, I've done that with my rabbit, has worked but I daren't move it in case she doesn't twig!lol Another thing to try if they don't use it is changing what you put in the bottom. My other bun was kinda 75% there with hay in there, changed it to the pelleted cat litter and overnight was 100%!! I think it helps her to differentiate between her sleeping area and litter area.

Good luck!

Nicola

thanks bunny mums

I've put woodshavings and some hay in the tray and put it where they wee most, will get some cat litter tomorrow. They are looking at me as if to say "what's she doing now". Hope they work it out soon.
June

That's ok. Just thought, at work we sometimes put their food bowl in the tray, as they tend to eat while going to the toilet. It did help, all depends on what suits your buns!! Can take time but once they are therer, it is well worth it. So glad my newest bun is litter trained, would hate to clear up that shed every night!!

Hope they catch on soon. How old are they, are they neutered?

Nicola

Hi Nicola

They have used the tray but they have also used a corner of their run so maybe they will get used to it in time.

They are both sisters and 6 years old, the vet said he would'nt recommend neutering them at their age. You replied to me about Snowy who I lost 2 weeks ago she was also their sister. I took in their mother as a stray who I later found out belonged to some smackhead who lived up the road, she was with me for a few days and gave birth to 8 babies, was I shocked, I had never had a rabbit before. I called her Charley and she was the most adorable bunny and the best mum, I could'nt part with them so they all stayed with me and we had such comical times when they were growing up. They have been lovely girls, Charley passed last year 13th December and Snowy 12th November this year, hope Poppy and Ebony stay for a while yet. I had them from day 1.
Sorry the reply is so long, but I like to remember .
thanks for your tip
June

My new bunny needs litter training, It came naturally to Blueberry.
he's doing some poos in the tray, but wee's in his cardboard box - its in the same place so thats a start!
His tray is full of hay, and boy does he eat his hay!
I'm going to take out the bedding and box so he is just left with the litter tray, if I cover half the cage with cardboard he'll still feel he has a hidey hole.
perserverance is the key!

Morning June,

I had this problem with Bea, she kept going into the the pigs cage to wee, so I moved their cage and replaced where it was with another litter tray, she went there instead. Once she was use going in the tray I removed one.

Hi June

Yes perseverance and patience seems to be the key!! That's ok for long post, I like hearing about other people's bunnies :)

I hope they do live a long time, my oldest is 5 so a bit younger than yours. They are funny aren't they, my little one is always making me laugh! It's nice to have such lovely memories isn't it :)

Nicola

Hi Bunny Mums

Well you should have heard the noise of Poppy & Ebony trying to evict the litter tray, sounded like somebody moving a sideboard around upstairs, even my cats looked up at the ceiling wondering what the noise was.
This morning they have used it for wee wee and the run for their poo so were 50% there, I think??? They know I am trying to teach them something. AT least the hutch is dry. :wink:

June

yeah, litter training came naturally to buddy, too. (other than his poohing on the bed problem :) ). I'm not home during the day, so he has to stay in his cage during work hours, and I think that being in the cage for that amount of time during the day, he just got used to doing his business in the litter and not on the floor.

i agree w/others tho, put it where he goes the most. seems to be a logical solution, and i've read that multiple other places too when looking into how to train buddy.

Of course, he could be using under my bed and behind my couch as his own personal litter box, and i'd never really know hehe. I make sure to check back there often tho...so far, so good :)

d

Back