• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Madelyn could use some vibes

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Last night Madelyn got her rabbit pellets, greens, and lot of hay. Early this morning, my spouse gave her more pellets, but she did not eat any/much of her hay.
Of course today was the day I was doing work in another room, so I did not come downstairs to check her at my usual time to give her more hay. When I did check her, she had eaten the pellets my spouse gave her in the morning; but none of her hay. She also had about half as many poos as usual for the morning, and a few of them were small or connected by a small piece of her fur.
I tried tempting her with more pellets and she ate a few and walked awy.
My vet did not have any appointments today after the holidays; so he advised me to give her fluids and metocloprimide and they added an appointment at the end of tomorrow to see her.
About twenty minutes after getting meds, she peed a little in the cleaned litter box; and by one hour later she passed some poos that looked normal sized.
She was sitting in the litter box for a while, so I am thinking she could have a UTI or bladder stone. There were no specs of blood in her pee, although the vet will need to see if there is any bacteria or microscopic blood in her urine.
Under normal circumstances I would be glad she passed some poos and was still nibbling her pellets; yet, after having lost Evan two weeks ago to an awful stasis I am now stressing about Madelyn.
Please send us both some positive vibes.

sending lots of vibes your way xx

UTI's are horrible for humans or rabbits :( my vets said (when Luna went in) that she's seen an unusual amount of rabbits with UTI's, 5 in one week not including Luna. I hope its just a UTI and nothing more sinister xx

Last night Madelyn got her rabbit pellets, greens, and lot of hay. Early this morning, my spouse gave her more pellets, but she did not eat any/much of her hay.
Of course today was the day I was doing work in another room, so I did not come downstairs to check her at my usual time to give her more hay. When I did check her, she had eaten the pellets my spouse gave her in the morning; but none of her hay. She also had about half as many poos as usual for the morning, and a few of them were small or connected by a small piece of her fur.
My vet did not have any appointments today after the holidays; so he advised me to give her fluids and metocloprimide and they added an appointment at the end of tomorrow to see her.
About twenty minutes after getting meds, she peed a little in the cleaned litter box; and by one hour later she passed some poos that looked normal sized.
She was sitting in the litter box for a while, so I am thinking she could have a UTI or bladder stone. There were no specs of blood in her pee, although the vet will need to see if there is any bacteria or microscopic blood in her urine.
Under normal circumstances I would be glad she passed some poos and was still nibbling her pellets; yet, after having lost Evan two weeks ago to an awful stasis I am now stressing about Madelyn.

Los of vibes for your sweet girl

I am probably wrong, but to me 'teeth' sound to be more of a possible issue than a UTI. The apparent 'straining' (sitting in litter box for a while) could be due to the effects of the metoclopramide which can sometimes cause a few gripy pains as things start moving through. Not eating as much hay could have led to gut slow down, which responded to the meds you gave and things did start moving through and as I said, initially this can cause a bit of tummy pain.

Whatever the problem, I hope the Vet can get her feeling better quickly. Sending lots of vibes xx

Thank you all for the good thoughts. Tonight when her litterbox was cleaned I was glad to see a normal number of poo,that look better too.
Jane,I will have her teeth checked too. You may be right. It would be better outcome than I was fearing.

Last edited:
sending lots of vibes your way xx

UTI's are horrible for humans or rabbits :( my vets said (when Luna went in) that she's seen an unusual amount of rabbits with UTI's, 5 in one week not including Luna. I hope its just a UTI and nothing more sinister xx
Poor Luna.Is she fully recovered ?

I am probably wrong, but to me 'teeth' sound to be more of a possible issue than a UTI. The apparent 'straining' (sitting in litter box for a while) could be due to the effects of the metoclopramide which can sometimes cause a few gripy pains as things start moving through. Not eating as much hay could have led to gut slow down, which responded to the meds you gave and things did start moving through and as I said, initially this can cause a bit of tummy pain.

Whatever the problem, I hope the Vet can get her feeling better quickly. Sending lots of vibes xx

This is exactly what happened with Frosty during the period after his last dental when his guts were in slowdown.

Sending lots of feel better soon vibes for Madelyn. I hope she soon improves and is eating and pooing normally again.

Poor Luna.Is she fully recovered ?

she is now, but she was in the vets for.. just shy of two days? she was on a drip permanently along with being syringe fed & syringed watered to help flush the infection out. she was (is? I've lost track of time :lol:) on a course of antibiotics for two weeks, along with her usual metacam dose for her arthritis. she recovered quite quickly in a sense, but she was also peeing like mad.

Madelyn saw the vet today. He was not able to get a good look at the cheek side of her bacck teeth; but she allowed him to look at the tongue side of all her teeth and he got a good look at the ones in front and they look good. He does not want to sedate her at this time . Vet was able to get a good feel of her bladder and it was small and she was showing no signs of discomfort. Her gut sounds were good. She got a lot of fluids just a couple hours before her appointment and she absorbed them. She continues to poo , pee,, and eat pellets, greens, and some hay. This evening she jumped over her litter box to run to her pellet bowl as soon as she saw me holding the bag of pellets; so that made me smile. I
When she was weighed at the vet today she weighed 4.5 lbs, which is .0.45 lb more than prior to her fluids yesterday. When I got home I weighed her again to check the scale and she weighed 4.4 lbs so I know my scale is good. Some is likely the fluids; yet it still seems like a lot for one day.

Back