• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Been to the vets

ChrisL

Young Bun
Rosemary had to go to the vets this week, she has been creating far too many of the poos she eats and wednesday was very bad.
We took her in and they gave her antibiotics and we have been told to reduce the amount of shop food and increase the amount of hay and grass. She eats loads of hay any way as we fill her hay rack and an hour or so later it is empty.
So far things have improved and we have to go back to the vets on wednesday for a quick check up.

Do females mount male rabbits often? rosemary hasnt left basil alone now for the last week, he has been neutered and isn't interested in mounting her at all :roll: but she cant keep off him. She is coming up to 4months old so is still too young to be spayed. she pulls lots of fur out of basil, none out of her yet though and they have nipped each other a few times. is this normal?
sorry for the long post.

Ooohh sounds like your little lady's hormones have kicked in :lol: :lol: poor Basil :oops: I dont know so you will have to ask the experts, I would persevere with this question before basil looses all his fur. The nipping sounds abit like they are sorting out who is the boss but I am not sure

Keep asking, good luck

Thanks. poor basil has his fur all over the carpet then on his back :lol: they both nip each other but it has never end in a fight yet though. We have to wait untill february to have rosemary spayed as she is so young.

At four months it's fairly normal for the hormones to start kicking in, and then it's pretty normal for does to start mounting their boyfriends. She probably won't get too aggressive with Basil though. If he was an unspayed she then the fighting would get worse, but she'll probably just carry on nipping and mounting and chasing him about a bit, but she shouldn't get too violent with him. I've been through this when Cassidy's hormones hit, and while Chips did have a month of bullied misery, she never really hurt him. They just get really territorial, and a neutered male just wants an easy life, so she'll bully him, he'll let her, and even after the spaying she'll be the boss forever.

As for the poo, just cutting down on pellets should be enough to stop that. If she is really keen on hay, and if Basil is a good hay muncher too, then it might be worth trying her on no pellets at all. Just hay and veggies and grass.

is she still giving him the short back and sides hair do Question
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah she is when they are together. She is going back to the vets Wednesday for a check up but she has improved by 100%
They live in seperate hutches at the moment and have been out to play at different times, but when ever they are out together she is on top :roll:
He has nipped her under the eye we think but they are fine.

Glad the website is back up and running!!
Will update you all on wednesday :)

Glad to hear Chris, women will be women :roll:

Love the picture of the two of them, it does make me smile :lol: :lol:

Denny said:
Glad to hear Chris, women will be women :roll:

Love the picture of the two of them, it does make me smile :lol: :lol:

I'ts the matching noses that does it for me!!

Caz

Hi, after having her heck up the vets is very pleased with rosemary and said she is a very healthy rabbit! :) He advised us to change the food to the supa rabbit excel and feed her hay. He also said that as she is mounting basil all the time, they can spay her early and that she is big enough for the op. So rosemary is booked an for the 17th December!

However, basil hasn't been pooing right either so i took a sample down with me :oops: and the vet has given basil antibiotics.
He said that as rosemary had an infection, because the treatment cleared her problem straight away, that she has passed the infection onto basil. So we have to keep them apart for about a week until he settles down. ( atleast he will have some rest! :lol: )

Thanks for all the advice given! :)

ChrisL said:
So we have to keep them apart for about a week until he settles down. ( atleast he will have some rest! :lol: )

would of thought it would have been every males dream :lol: :lol: but alas if Basil needs the rest, then rest he must :lol: :lol well only for a week though :lol: :lol:

Back