• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mother and Babies UPDATE POST 16

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Some things make me very angry when it comes to rescue and this is one.
This gorgeous big girl, now named Fieldfare, was handed in to rescue with 2 bucks. She had had a huge litter before with 8 surviving. Her owner had become very ill so had to rehome the rabbits.
BUT guess what she did while waiting for us to collect? Put Fieldfare back in with a buck! :evil:

Fieldfareb by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

So Fieldfare arrived at the temp fosterers where she stayed for 2 weeks, ( at this point I'm unaware she had been in with buck) then came to me
2 days later gave birth..to at least 13 but maybe more babies. Some have died and we are down to 10 and I doubt all these will make it.
I cannot help much as mum doesn't know or trust me and due to changes of home is VERY territorial
So here I am having to cope with watching baby rabbits die due to a stupid owner.
The sad side of rescue :(

Here was the nest at 2 days old

fieldfaresbabiesaged2 days by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

Surviving babies are due to open eyes on Christmas day and for those that start eating food I can add warm goats milk to mashed pellets..so please send lots of keep going vibes to the ones left

Last edited:
Fieldfare is very beautiful, but what a sad story :( She does look very wary in the pic :(

Sending loads of vibes for the remaining kits. At least they are all safe now.

This gorgeous big girl, now named Fieldfare, was handed in to rescue with 2 bucks. She had had a huge litter before with 8 surviving. Her owner had become very ill so had to rehome the rabbits.
BUT guess what she did while waiting for us to collect? Put Fieldfare back in with a buck! :evil:

So Fieldfare arrived at the temp fosterers where she stayed for 2 weeks, ( at this point I'm unaware she had been in with buck) then came to me
2 days later gave birth..to at least 13 but maybe more babies. Some have died and we are down to 10 and I doubt all these will make it.
I cannot help much as mum doesn't know or trust me and due to changes of home is VERY territorial
So here I am having to cope with watching baby rabbits die due to a stupid owner.

Surviving babies are due to open eyes on Christmas day and for those that start eating food I can add warm goats milk to mashed pellets..so please send lots of keep going vibes to the ones left

What a terribly sad situation. The stupidity of some members of the human race never ceases to astound me. Do you need any extra provisions for Fieldfare and her remaining kits ? Are you OK for snuggle safes ?

What a terribly sad situation. The stupidity of some members of the human race never ceases to astound me. Do you need any extra provisions for Fieldfare and her remaining kits ? Are you OK for snuggle safes ?

hi Jane. we are ok for snuggle safes thank you and Fieldfare is in a shed so out of worst of weather :)
We can always do with rabbits pellets and dried forage..and fresh foods! xx

Oh how awful, so glad she is safe with you. Dillon has a little pocket money he would happily send towards pellets etc if you have a paypal address?
ps he does not get a lot of pocket money but it might help a little.

How awful. It must be very stressful for fieldfare and all who are looking after them.
Some people just have no common sense or respect for their pets. It’s so sad.

There's just no understanding some people :( So sorry you are having to pick up the pieces of this.

Poor Fieldfare, at least she is safe and well cared for now. Hope the babies make it bless them x

Poor buns, I'm glad she's found someone like you to help, what a difficult time you must be having, thank you for rescuing these buns and I hope they pull through.

Oh goodness what a story! I hope the remaining kits will be OK.

Fieldfare is extremely lucky to have ended up with you.

that's just horrible :(

I hope the remaining make it.. she is lucky to have been rescued. I dread to think how many more times she would have been bred :(

I cannot understand what the point of putting her with a buck was when she was giving her away???!!!???

How utterly frustrating.

It must make you want to bang your head against a wall, coming up against things like that. Lots of vibes for the babies and for Fieldfare who must be an exhausted Mama bun xx

UPDATE
Sadly the little black one that was struggling has left us along with a small harli one :(
but I now think Fieldfare must have had a HUGE litter as despite losing so many we still have 9 kits
I found another section of nest today with a large brown baby I'd not seen before!

One of the 9 , another black one, is struggling but so far 9 is ok by me. Keep sending milk vibes for mum

UPDATE
Sadly the little black one that was struggling has left us along with a small harli one :(
but I now think Fieldfare must have had a HUGE litter as despite losing so many we still have 9 kits
I found another section of nest today with a large brown baby I'd not seen before!

One of the 9 , another black one, is struggling but so far 9 is ok by me. Keep sending milk vibes for mum

Sending more vibes x

UPDATE

This is all so sad. More vibes for mum and kits.

Back