• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Uncle Won't Vaccinate/Spay!

SandyBunny

Young Bun
Feeling super frustrated.

My uncle went and bought his 5 year old Granddaughter a 7 month old rabbit as a pet (on a whim) when she stays at theirs at the weekend. Issue is, my uncle refuses to vaccinate her or have her spayed! :roll:

I've told him time and time again how important it is, he's either very ignorant to it or very stupid :evil: all I get is "she's just a rabbit and plus she's fine" or he doesn't want to pay for it. Why buy the rabbit then?!

I said yeah she's fine NOW, but she hops around the garden where stray cats cross the yard, occasional fox and other animals" and we all know here how RVHD is easily spread around as well as myxomatosis.

Its like banging my head against a brick wall and obviously vets can't force someone to vaccinate any animal and only give them the consequences of not doing so.

'Just a rabbit'. That phrase makes me see red, every time.

There's just no dealing with some people. A friend of mine won't neuter her rabbit because 'he's on his own', and won't get the RHD2 vaccine because 'there's no need'. It's infuriating, but I just can't talk about rabbits with her anymore.

'Just a rabbit'. That phrase makes me see red, every time.

There's just no dealing with some people. A friend of mine won't neuter her rabbit because 'he's on his own', and won't get the RHD2 vaccine because 'there's no need'. It's infuriating, but I just can't talk about rabbits with her anymore.

I told him "don't moan if you end up finding it dead one day" because he will if she picks anything up. No other way of putting it is there?

I told him "don't moan if you end up finding it dead one day" because he will if she picks anything up. No other way of putting it is there?
It's very sad. But I'd just stop, he clearly doesn't care or think what your saying really means anything, either way it's a waste of your time. You tried! I deal with people like this all the time, and they treat me like I'm over the top in my care for my Rabbits... Annoys me but I can't really do anything about it. People think my care is excessive, that's on them. I know they're wrong [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

yea I agree with Graciee. its def sad but at the end of the day theres nothing you can do. in all honesty you're just exhausting and upsetting/stressing yourself out. as hard as it is the best thing is to just drop it and walk away. in all honesty, although I'm very petty and harsh, I'd just mute his number and cut contact with him. I've dropped friends over their animals care and I'd do the same to family. I don't wanna associate with that :?

the only thing is is that if said bun does catch something and dies, and he comes to you, I'd just reply with a "told you so." and then mute him :lol:

It's so frustrating when it's friends/family that are like this :( He doesn't seem to care very much for the rabbit, maybe if you focus it more on how heartbroken his granddaughter will be when she finds bunny dead he might listen, then again he might be one of those people that just thinks 'that won't happen, back in my day rabbits were never vaccinated and were fine blah blah :roll: '. As awful as it sounds I feel like granddaughter will quickly lose interest in the rabbit and then it just becomes an extra unnecessary expense/chore for the grandparents, it might not be long before you hear 'do you want the rabbit'

Back