• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Want to know where our rabbits come from?

I found these bits particularly sad reading :cry:

"Singly housed rabbits had the lowest median housing size, with bucks having the smallest median housing size overall "

"Bucks were housed singly by breeders more often than any other type of rabbit (76.7%)"

"33% of breeders housed rabbits in hutches smaller than the minimum recommended housing size for pet rabbits"

"the first estimate of the rabbit size of the rabbit breeding market, with a possible 254,804 rabbits purposefully bred for the UK online pet sales market each year; the majority which appear to be bred in England."

So very sad.
Iv seen probably almost the worst when I picked up my two girls recently and it broke my heart. I walked out almost in tears :(
I won’t buy from a breeder again that’s for sure.

So very sad.
Iv seen probably almost the worst when I picked up my two girls recently and it broke my heart. I walked out almost in tears :(

I have seen breeders where the poor little rabbits are in such small cages they can't move.
They are like living ornaments :cry:

So very sad.

nice one :)

.... & when it's the right time, it's so special to give a rescue bunny a new home.

I have seen breeders where the poor little rabbits are in such small cages they can't move.
They are like living ornaments :cry:

So horrible :( These people just care about the money, that don't give a hoot about the welfare of the animals. I think it's really sad that breeders are still in business when there are so many unwanted rabbits out there, too.

It’s the thought of them being baby’s and so small that reels people into the breeders. Most people see rescue animals as older there for not as exciting and cute as the babies there for go to breeders because they get what they think is the ideal for them.
I’m ashamed I put money into that mans pocket for him to continue what he’s doing.

So horrible :( These people just care about the money, that don't give a hoot about the welfare of the animals. I think it's really sad that breeders are still in business when there are so many unwanted rabbits out there, too.

I do think that's a shame :cry:

I know people go to breeders because they want a particular kind of rabbit, and of course it's everyone's choice to do what they like. But the thought of all the unwanted bunnies would never allow me to purchase from a breeder :cry:

It’s the thought of them being baby’s and so small that reels people into the breeders. Most people see rescue animals as older there for not as exciting and cute as the babies there for go to breeders because they get what they think is the ideal for them.
I’m ashamed I put money into that mans pocket for him to continue what he’s doing.

they are with you now, and are much better off :D .

... and hands up - they are seriously cute bunnies :)

Last edited:
I do think that's a shame :cry:

I know people go to breeders because they want a particular kind of rabbit, and of course it's everyone's choice to do what they like. But the thought of all the unwanted bunnies would never allow me to purchase from a breeder :cry:
Yea I'm not sure I could again now...

When I got the rexes though I didn't even think about rescues, tbh I didn't really know much about buns and my boyfriend had never had a pet and I fell in love with Atticus the moment I saw him [emoji38] I don't regret them, and I'd do the same thing tomorrow knowing what I know (for Atticus and Clementine) because well she wouldn't be here probably, neither would he. They've not been the healthiest [emoji38]

But going forward, I think I could only adopt/rescue. Altho the rexes don't give me an allergic reaction... Whereas the white buns do when they lick my skin.. [emoji38] So Idk (I am horribly allergic to animals though so you know)

So I guess I'd never plan to buy a baby bun again.. And after Fleur I'm convinced there's something fundamentally wrong with pets at homes stock... But then I think.. Most buns that end up in rescues must be from pets at home originally..?

I'm rambling! After rescuing the white buns, I think I'll always rescue now, I guess in summary [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

Yea I'm not sure I could again now...

When I got the rexes though I didn't even think about rescues, tbh I didn't really know much about buns and my boyfriend had never had a pet and I fell in love with Atticus the moment I saw him [emoji38] I don't regret them, and I'd do the same thing tomorrow knowing what I know (for Atticus and Clementine) because well she wouldn't be here probably, neither would he. They've not been the healthiest [emoji38]

But going forward, I think I could only adopt/rescue. Altho the rexes don't give me an allergic reaction... Whereas the white buns do when they lick my skin.. [emoji38] So Idk (I am horribly allergic to animals though so you know)

So I guess I'd never plan to buy a baby bun again.. And after Fleur I'm convinced there's something fundamentally wrong with pets at homes stock... But then I think.. Most buns that end up in rescues must be from pets at home originally..?

I'm rambling! After rescuing the white buns, I think I'll always rescue now, I guess in summary [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

I'm not sure about that. Maybe more now than in the past, but there are loads and loads of online sales for rabbits now that there weren't before. And the problem was bad before!

I'm not sure about that. Maybe more now than in the past, but there are loads and loads of online sales for rabbits now that there weren't before. And the problem was bad before!
Yea I'm sure they're from all sources. I guess I was thinking that lots of buns are bought on impulse from pets at home, whereas it's a little more effort to find one online? Idk [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

Yea I'm sure they're from all sources. I guess I was thinking that lots of buns are bought on impulse from pets at home, whereas it's a little more effort to find one online? Idk [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

You could be right. And Pets@Home are becoming more popular - especially with vets onsite and neutering vouchers.

rescuing is great and all - but I definitely do not (and will not) feel guilty from purchasing from a breeder. I'd also do it again for my own personal reasons, but also I love a Rex, and having handled many many rabbits they're the only ones who didn't flare up my allergies. finding a rex in a shelter is hard - initially I looked for a friend for Luna.

but sadly for as many good breeders as there are, there are bad breeders. the ones who only see ££ so they keep rabbits in poor and horrible conditions. small cramped cages and so on. I wouldn't call them breeders but instead back yard breeders. there isn't much difference with how they treat and care for their animals. but there are also many good breeders, who give their rabbits ample of room, a same sex friend and so fourth. whether you want to argue that "any breeder is a bad breeder!" (which is pretty generalising and judgemental) - a breeder who treats their rabbits with care and meets their needs is better than a breeder who doesn't.

I wouldn't touch PAH with a barge pole though. all of their animals are sourced from one huge plant and shipped down across the country. its not like that the overall company cares about the animals, the staff often do, but the overall company just sees number. generally the animals aren't handled anyway, making for a difficult process with taming. esp if you get one that is older around 12 weeks or so.

PAH is just one huge chain BYB in reality.

they are with you now, and are much better off :D .

... and hands up - they are seriously cute bunnies :)

True and living the life they deserve but I often think of the littles ones I had to leave behind and it makes me so sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back