• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Savy vet Croydon London?

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
I have just found out the vet I was originally going to take Harlequin and Beauty to don’t do the RHD2 vaccine so I’m looking for a new one in Croydon if possible. As I don’t drive it makes it a bit harder.
Any sugestions would be very much appreciated.

I have just found out the vet I was originally going to take Harlequin and Beauty to don’t do the RHD2 vaccine so I’m looking for a new one in Croydon if possible. As I don’t drive it makes it a bit harder.
Any sugestions would be very much appreciated.

You might find some suggestions here?

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...-rabbit-owners/copy_of_county-or-city/england

Otherwise, for the vaccination, I wouldn't delay but ring around all the vets you can get to, and get it done asap.
As you know, it's virulent and deadly, and best get it done before everywhere closes up for Xmas.

You might find some suggestions here?

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...-rabbit-owners/copy_of_county-or-city/england

Otherwise, for the vaccination, I wouldn't delay but ring around all the vets you can get to, and get it done asap.
As you know, it's virulent and deadly, and best get it done before everywhere closes up for Xmas.

I checked this link and don’t find any thing near to me. Also checked another one both supplied by members of the forum.
As soon as I get home I will be ringing around vets.
I have questions to ask but am unsure on what the answers should be to things such as how many rabbits do you see in a month. What makes a rabbit savy vet savy about rabbits if that makes sense.

I checked this link and don’t find any thing near to me. Also checked another one both supplied by members of the forum.
I have questions to ask but am unsure on what the answers should be to things such as how many rabbits do you see in a month. What makes a rabbit savy vet savy about rabbits if that makes sense.

Here are some questions to ask the vet https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/

Ideally you want a rabbit savvy vet from the start, but if I was in your situation if necessary I would go wherever has the rhd2 vaccine first, and aim to go to a rabbit savvy vet for spaying etc.

I think I would see this as a two stage process. First of all I would find somewhere close to you who has the RHD2 vaccine in stock and who can give it asap. Then while you are having it done, I would be asking questions to establish how clued up on rabbits the vet is. You'll also get a feeling about the practice while you are there.

Hopefully, in the meantime you will receive some recommendations from forum members for vets in your area, who you could trust for spays and onward care.

Haha snap Zoobec :lol:

I think I would see this as a two stage process. First of all I would find somewhere close to you who has the RHD2 vaccine in stock and who can give it asap. Then while you are having it done, I would be asking questions to establish how clued up on rabbits the vet is. You'll also get a feeling about the practice while you are there.

Hopefully, in the meantime you will receive some recommendations from forum members for vets in your area, who you could trust for spays and onward care.

Haha snap Zoobec :lol:

Great minds ;) :lol:

No I couldn't see anything on that link for you either.

However, the search for a rabbit savvy vet, in my opinion, can be done separately to getting the RHD2 vaccinations, which I would say is a matter of urgency. But then I am the one updating the RHD2 sticky here on the Forum, so I get to see all the deaths from RHD2 and it makes for very sad reading.

Good luck with your search!

Thank you for all the sugestions they really do help in how to manage and prioritise. I have a list of vets in my area so I will be ringing them in a coupe of hours to get the soonest appointment possible for the RHD2 vaccine.

MightyMax. I have read through some of the thread and it saddens me so much that rabbits are not being vaccinated against such a horendos disease. Fingers crossed many more will get there rabbits vaccinated. You are doing a great job of bringing it to people’s attention and giving all the information needed.

Zoobec. Thank you for the link. I will be looking at it between now and when I get home.

I would just like to thank all of the fourum members that have helped me. You have made it a much easier prosses with your reassurances and advice it has helped make it a less stressful and more enjoyable time.

Mark Nelson vets in Thornton Heath or Anne Nelson vets in South Croydon. I have used a different branch of Mark Nelson and I'm pretty sure they would have the vaccine as he is the vet for Foal Farm rescue centre. As for rabbit savvy, I would say Nelsons are okay, I also use Priory Vets in Redhill/Reigate but understand this might be a bit far if you don't drive.

Sorry just to add I haven't been to Anne Nelsons myself for quite a few years as I moved so I can't say how rabbit savvy they are but historically I found them good.

Last edited:
Mark Nelson vets in Thornton Heath or Anne Nelson vets in South Croydon. I have used a different branch of Mark Nelson and I'm pretty sure they would have the vaccine as he is the vet for Foal Farm rescue centre. As for rabbit savvy, I would say Nelsons are okay, I also use Priory Vets in Redhill/Reigate but understand this might be a bit far if you don't drive.

Sorry just to add I haven't been to Anne Nelsons myself for quite a few years as I moved so I can't say how rabbit savvy they are but historically I found them good.

We have an appointment for tomorrow with mark nelson vets for the RHD2 vaccine. Thank you Orenoko for the recommendation. I will further check them out when I am there and see how rabbit savvy they are. There reviews online look great but have only seen ones by cat and dog owners.

Does any one know what the rough pricing of vaccinations are?
I asked the receptionest and got the answere £42. I’m asking as iv seen online should be between £15 and £30 for a rabbit. I did see a couple of reviews that said this vets practice is pricy. I’m willing to pay it as this needs to be done ASAP but in the future if it’s avalible at another practice for cheeped and they are good with rabbits I may well switch.

Last edited:
We have an appointment for tomorrow with mark nelson vets for the RHD2 vaccine. Thank you Orenoko for the recommendation. I will further check them out when I am there and see how rabbit savvy they are. There reviews online look great but have only seen ones by cat and dog owners.
I've been to the one in Biggin Hill a lot for my bun Teddy and they've been pretty good, he's a particularly difficult case! I've only seen Mr Nelson himself pretty much but hopefully the rest of the vets are good too.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Thanks Omi. Is there any thing I should look out for after they have had them.

They may feel off colour for a day or two, and very occasionally get a reaction at the injection site, but on the whole there've not been many adverse reactions reported :)

I have seen some reports of rabbits being a little subdued or not eating so enthusiastically following vaccinations, however I have never observed this with any of my rabbits.

What I do find though, is that my rabbits become quite stressed by a vet visit and so are usually a little quiet for an hour or so after they return home.

Orenoko. They sound like a great vets and they really take care of teddy 😁 let’s hope this one is just as good.

Thanks MightyMax and Omi. So it’s a case of just leaving them be to settle back down then. Hopfully won’t be to bad and they only just starting to eat really well. Feel like a meanie tho as can’t give them any veg herbs or fruit as they not been introduced to it yet and was going to start after the pellet change. One step at a time

These are the Vaccine Data Sheets, details about any possible reactions/side effects are listed. Some Vets are using Fiivac ,which covers both RHD1 and RHD2.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

Others are using Eravac, which covers just RHD2

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf NB- Eravac is only licensed to provide 9 months protection and it needs to be administered into the lateral thoracic wall (on the side of the Rabbit under the skin over the Rabbit's ribcage) rather than the usual 'scruff' of the neck.

Orenoko. They sound like a great vets and they really take care of teddy 😁 let’s hope this one is just as good.

Thanks MightyMax and Omi. So it’s a case of just leaving them be to settle back down then. Hopfully won’t be to bad and they only just starting to eat really well. Feel like a meanie tho as can’t give them any veg herbs or fruit as they not been introduced to it yet and was going to start after the pellet change. One step at a time

You're welcome.

Yes just keep a watchful eye and hopefully there won't be any adverse reaction at all.

They don't know you're being a meanie with the food, but they might not like you very much (in the short term) for taking them for their vaccinations!

Good luck xx

These are the Vaccine Data Sheets, details about any possible reactions/side effects are listed. Some Vets are using Fiivac ,which covers both RHD1 and RHD2.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

Others are using Eravac, which covers just RHD2

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf NB- Eravac is only licensed to provide 9 months protection and it needs to be administered into the lateral thoracic wall (on the side of the Rabbit under the skin over the Rabbit's ribcage) rather than the usual 'scruff' of the neck.

Thanks jacks Jane. The link was very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome.

Yes just keep a watchful eye and hopefully there won't be any adverse reaction at all.

They don't know you're being a meanie with the food, but they might not like you very much (in the short term) for taking them for their vaccinations!

Good luck xx

I definantly will.

I know I just feel it. No cuddles or any thing as they still settling in so that don’t help.
Can put up with being not liked and having grumpy bunnies for a few days. So much better to get it done now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back