• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Finding a good vet? RDH2 vaccine

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
Hi. I have seen a link to a website on finding a list of good vets. I forgot to bookmark it and now can’t find it :(
Does any one know where this link is?
Iv just phoned the vet I was going to use and they don’t do the RHD2 vaccine so I’m not happy to use them any more and want to find a new vet for Harlequin and Beauty.
Thanks in advance.

Hi. I have seen a link to a website on finding a list of good vets. I forgot to bookmark it and now can’t find it :(
Iv just phoned the vet I was going to use and they don’t do the RHD2 vaccine so I’m not happy to use them any more and want to find a new vet for Harlequin and Beauty.
Thanks in advance.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

This one? :) there might be other links? Idk

One thing you can do it start a new thread asking if anyone knows of a rabbit savvy vet in your area, because not everyone worth seeing is on that list ^^ :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

Thanks in advance.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...-rabbit-owners/copy_of_county-or-city/england

Thanks. I checked both and there’s nothing near me and as I don’t drive it makes it more difficult.
Will star a new thread now Gracee.
I just feel like I’m putting up quiet a few at the moment and don’t want to bug people.

Thanks. I checked both and there’s nothing near me and as I don’t drive it makes it more difficult.
I just feel like I’m putting up quiet a few at the moment and don’t want to bug people.

Not at all! Whereabouts do you live?

Edited to add - Have just seen your other thread which gives your location.

Last edited:

I've just posted this on your other thread :)

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...-rabbit-owners/copy_of_county-or-city/england

Otherwise, for the vaccination, I wouldn't delay but ring around all the vets you can get to, and get it done asap.
As you know, it's virulent and deadly, and best get it done before everywhere closes up for Xmas.

Have now got an appointment for 5:30 for their vaccines but will continue to look at other vets and see which is the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have now got an appointment for 5:30 for their vaccines but will continue to look at other vets and see which is the best

A good scout around is useful :)

But even if you find a vet, you can always change if you find another more suitable, or have a better recommendation.
So it's not set in stone :)

Thanks MightyMax. Just want to do what is best for my 2 adorable buns

You're welcome :)

Just to clear up any misconceptions about administration of Eravac vaccine, here are the details given by the manufacturer themselves:

Eravac Information from manufacturer - injection site and immunity;
I submitted 2 questions to HIPRA the manufacturer of Eravac;
1. Why does Eravac have to be given into the lateral wall of a rabbit?
2. I keep reading that Eravac has proven immunity at 12 months. Is there any data that proves immunity at 12 months by challenge? I have read the CVMP assessment report for type II variation for ERAVAC (EMEA/V /C/0O4239/IT/0003/G) report so am familiar with the restrictions to dwarf and pregnant rabbits and that a challenge was only at 9 months.

Their response is below;
1. This is because the first trials we sent to the EMA for its registration were performed this way, but the following trials the vaccination was administered subcutaneously between the two scapula and the results were also good.
2. We only have challenge data until 9 months. At 12 months after vaccination for welfare reasons we did not challenge the animals but we did serological analysis. High antibody levels persisted for at least 12 months, but those animals were not challenged. You can see our trial on our website:

If you need any more info, let me know :wave:

You're welcome [emoji4]

Just to clear up any misconceptions about administration of Eravac vaccine, here are the details given by the manufacturer themselves:

Eravac Information from manufacturer - injection site and immunity;
I submitted 2 questions to HIPRA the manufacturer of Eravac;
1. Why does Eravac have to be given into the lateral wall of a rabbit?
2. I keep reading that Eravac has proven immunity at 12 months. Is there any data that proves immunity at 12 months by challenge? I have read the CVMP assessment report for type II variation for ERAVAC (EMEA/V /C/0O4239/IT/0003/G) report so am familiar with the restrictions to dwarf and pregnant rabbits and that a challenge was only at 9 months.

Their response is below;
1. This is because the first trials we sent to the EMA for its registration were performed this way, but the following trials the vaccination was administered subcutaneously between the two scapula and the results were also good.
2. We only have challenge data until 9 months. At 12 months after vaccination for welfare reasons we did not challenge the animals but we did serological analysis. High antibody levels persisted for at least 12 months, but those animals were not challenged. You can see our trial on our website:

If you need any more info, let me know :wave:

In the question 2 you say about the restrictions to dwarf and pregnant rabbits.

What restrictions are their?

My 2 girls are both Netherland Dwarfs so it would be good to know as much as I can

Last edited:
In the question 2 you say about the restrictions to dwarf and pregnant rabbits.

What restrictions are their?

My 2 girls are both Netherland Dwarfs so it would be good to know as much as I can

Are you sure it's Eravac that your vet will be giving?
The more usual vaccine is Filavac, and in that case you don't need to worry about any of the above :)

I’m not sure which one which is why I am asking.
I tend to panic when I’m nervous so forgot to ask as well the receptionist was putting me on hold every couple of mins as the place was busy.
If I go prepared for both then I’m well informed no matter what they have.

I’m not sure which one which is why I am asking.
I tend to panic when I’m nervous so forgot to ask as well the receptionist was putting me on hold every couple of mins as the place was busy.
If I go prepared for both then I’m well informed no matter what they have.

If you want to PM me the details, I'll ask for you ;)

How did the vet visit go, Lisa? Did they have their vaccinations OK and how did you feel about the vet?

Hi Omi. The vet wouldn’t do it as they are under 10 weeks. I asked about the other injections and they wouldn’t do those either as that’s not what we booked for and was told practice was busy. There was only one person in waiting room when we left :(
I won’t be going back to them as none of my questions were really answered and the vet was quiet standoffish. Looking for another vet currently.

They did however get a check over and no problems which is surprising with the way they were being kept but I’m happy they are healthy and a good weight.

Last edited:
yeah neither vaccination can be done for rabbits under 10 weeks of age :( I'd still get RHD2 done first anyway, as myxi is mostly contact (infected rabbits via touch, urine & so fourth) and flies.

while its not a positive experience, at least you know not to use them!

Hi Omi. The vet wouldn’t do it as they are under 10 weeks. I asked about the other injections and they wouldn’t do those either as that’s not what we booked for and was told practice was busy. There was only one person in waiting room when we left :(
I won’t be going back to them as none of my questions were really answered and the vet was quiet standoffish. Looking for another vet currently.

They did however get a check over and no problems which is surprising with the way they were being kept but I’m happy they are healthy and a good weight.

Oh I'm sorry Lisa :( I didn't realise this with RHD2 vaccine. Actually Nobivac can be given from 5 weeks, so it's a shame that the vet wouldn't do that. Tbh I wouldn't go back to that vet either. It's also a shame that they didn't realise this when you booked. I assume you were asked for their birth dates when you registered. Here are links for the two vaccines. Did he sex the rabbits for you?

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-470035

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Back