• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating or pooing much after spay

Full house

New Kit
Luna was spayed on Friday. She refused to eat anything until yesterday and yesterday and today, she ate a few herbs but no pellets or the rest of her veggies. She won't eat dry leaves, herbs, dandelions, plantain etc. I have been syringe feeding Oxbow critical care and she has had metacam once daily and cisipride twice daily. Luna is not co-operating and isn't very happy to swallow her meds of food, but I perservere. She's strong and feisty when I catch her and feed her.

She's been a bit quiet, but grooming herself and looking perky. Yesterday afternoon her tummy started making loud gurgling noises, but she was due her metacam and cisipride and I syringed her more food too. It settled her tummy, which lightly gurgled a bit today, again prior to her meds.

She hasn't pooed much at all and today has pooed around 3 small bracelets, but with teeny poos.

Luna is a house bunny and is in a restricted area, on the flat. She usually sleeps in a hutch which usually has the doors permanently open, with free rein in a room. But I didn't think the hop up in to the hutch and back down again, was a good idea with being recently spayed.

Her wound is dry and it looks fine.

I don't know what else to do. Obviously she's getting upset with all the syringe feeding and meds which isn't helping her to get back to normal. She isn't ever sitting hunched, or with closed eyes and no teeth grinding. She doesn't look or behave as though in pain and the metacam seems like a decent dose in my experience. I expected her to feel a bit fragile for a few days, but she looks much better than I expected. But, her not eating is really worrying me as is the lack of a reasonable amount of poos.

My vet isn't a rabbit vet, so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

It can be so stressful when your little one is feeling so poorly. My Heidi took a few days, making steady improvement each day, before she was eating/pooing her normal quantities. If Luna is eating mostly Critical Care, she may not be getting enough or large enough pieces of fiber to produce poos of her usual size/quantity. Once you add liquid, Critical Care looks like a lot, especially when we have bunnies that fight the syringe feeding. It is a positive that she is grooming and making poos.

Sending you and Luna some positive vibes.

You may want to see if you can locate a rabbit vet in your area. If that is not possible, you may want to have your vet give her a recheck to verify she is healing as expected..

Last edited:
If Luna is eating mostly Critical Care, she may not be getting enough or large enough pieces of fiber to produce poos of her usual size/quantity.

Thank you for your reply. I have had bunnies all my life, but didn't know that. That's really useful. I feel better already. After a few days of fairly intensive care, all faith in myself and my experience has vanished. I have Luna booked in for a check up tomorrow just so I've covered all options. Also, Luna being poorly has coincided with a never happened before lack of carrot tops in the greengrocers. She loves them. The market is on today and so finally I am practically guaranteed to get some. I'm hoping for a new burst of enthusiasm from Luna when she see them!

I hope Luna starts eating properly soon and hope you can get her favourite carrot tops. Is there any fresh grass or Dandelions around as I find these 2 foods are the ones they will most readily eat.

if she still isn't eating by tomorrow, I'd make sure to bring this up to your vet. ask for gut stimulants, as what may have happened is her gut has slowed down so she doesn't feel hungry. its good that you're feeding her though, as that reduces the risk slightly with their tummies filling up with gas.

for me, I would consider it highly concerning that she still isn't eating 5 days after her spay. 1 day is "normal" (although not preferable), 2 days is concerning but anymore than that would be for serious concern. its def not normal and could be a sign of something more sinister. although I'd guess that because of her spay, her stomach slowed down, and hasn't "restarted" properly again. hopefully some gut stimulants would be of help to set her back on the right track.

I would say however I can't stress enough how important a rabbit savvy vet is. without one, wrong advice or meds are often given, which can be fatal. rabbit information isn't within the usual vet package, its classed as exotics. so vets then possibly apply their cat/dog knowledge to rabbits..which often isn't very helpful.

I'm not sure if you're in the UK, but the RWAF has a list of recommended vets. hopefully one is in your area?
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Luna was spayed on Friday. She refused to eat anything until yesterday and yesterday and today, she ate a few herbs but no pellets or the rest of her veggies. She won't eat dry leaves, herbs, dandelions, plantain etc. I have been syringe feeding Oxbow critical care and she has had metacam once daily and cisipride twice daily. Luna is not co-operating and isn't very happy to swallow her meds of food, but I perservere. She's strong and feisty when I catch her and feed her.

She's been a bit quiet, but grooming herself and looking perky. Yesterday afternoon her tummy started making loud gurgling noises, but she was due her metacam and cisipride and I syringed her more food too. It settled her tummy, which lightly gurgled a bit today, again prior to her meds.

She hasn't pooed much at all and today has pooed around 3 small bracelets, but with teeny poos.

Luna is a house bunny and is in a restricted area, on the flat. She usually sleeps in a hutch which usually has the doors permanently open, with free rein in a room. But I didn't think the hop up in to the hutch and back down again, was a good idea with being recently spayed.

Her wound is dry and it looks fine.

I don't know what else to do. Obviously she's getting upset with all the syringe feeding and meds which isn't helping her to get back to normal. She isn't ever sitting hunched, or with closed eyes and no teeth grinding. She doesn't look or behave as though in pain and the metacam seems like a decent dose in my experience. I expected her to feel a bit fragile for a few days, but she looks much better than I expected. But, her not eating is really worrying me as is the lack of a reasonable amount of poos.

My vet isn't a rabbit vet, so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Did she not have a post-spay appointment with the vet booked? It's usually about three days after the op, for a check up.
I've just read your update and see she is going in tomorrow :)

I would keep her warm, and keep going with the Metacam and syringe feeding.
You might want ring the vet surgery and tell them these details, and they could give you some gut motility medication.
You don't want this continuing into the Christmas Period.

It's very likely she will be OK - I have found some Does take a few days to feel better x

Thank you for your replies. As I mentioned in my first post, Luna has been on Cisipride which is a gut mobility med, since Saturday. Also metacam. I have a supply of these, plus injectable penicillin and a few other bits at home all the time.

I am syringe feeding Oxbow critical care every 3 hrs in the day plus late at night and early morning. She has her usual fresh veggies:
Basil, corriander, dill, parsley, mint, lemon balm, carrot tops, dandelions, grass, sow thistle and Ribwort plantain. Plus grated apple and carrot.

Also usual Oxbow hays, the Excel long stemmed hay, the marigold hay, dried oats from Zooplus plus a local meadow hay. Also usual Galens Garden dried plantain, dandelion, lots of tree leaves, strawberry, raspberry and blackberry leaves, mallow, apple, pear, plus lots of dried flowers, echinacea leaves and pellets, other GG pellets and other bits, I can't remember them all. Plus her Science Selective food. I think that's about it.

Basically I've just about run out if ideas and just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. We're at least 100 miles from a bunny vet, but I take them to referrals when needed including Pip needell (can't remember spelling), David Crosby and Bob Partrywho is a European level dental vet in Harrogate. I rely heavily on a lifetime of bunny care nearly 50 now! Plus, RWA membership for years, lots of research and attendance of Frances HB days.

Luna is in her room, restricted area wise, on carpet and vet bed with the heating on 24 hrs (it always is in the colder months) and heat pads, which she ignores. She's perky, interested in what's going on and hopping around. Her wound is clean and dry. She's pooing little bracelets with teeny poos.

I don't know what else to do. She nibbles her veggies and then leaves them and will eat a few crunchy treats, which suggests her mouth and teeth are ok. We've a check up at the vets tomorrow in case I've missed anything. I have never had such a slow recovery from a neuter or spay, even complex ones. I feel like I'm failing Luna, but I don't know what else to do.

ah my apologies :) I'm not familiar with all of the gut stimulant names, only ranitidine/zantac and emeprid. but I do throw my hands up and say that I didn't check either.

its a bit of a pickle isn't it :? I'd be willing to suggest it might be her teeth in all honesty. I do appreciate you said this
She nibbles her veggies and then leaves them and will eat a few crunchy treats, which suggests her mouth and teeth are ok.
this would be far from the case. the main offenders in teeth problems are the back teeth, not the incisors. they are worn down eating hay, which requires a side to side motion. this in take files the teeth down from the roughage. eating veggies, crunchy treats or pellet makes an up and down motion. its not common for dental rabbits to happily take pellet and other hard treats, but turn their nose up at hay.

I really don't feel your failing Luna, far from it :) you're doing your best for her, and even reaching out here to see if anybody has anything else to say and help. you're really doing all you can, and I'm sure that's all she could ask of you (scratch that, she'd probably ask for some nice nommy treats :lol:)

I think if her teeth come back ok, then I'd say she really doesn't react well to the anaesthetic and operation. my own Luna was very very sick for weeks (around 3/4 if I remember right) after her spay. she totally refused to eat at all by herself. I was feeding her every 3 hours throughout the night and day, 3 different meds multiple times a day. her teeth were fine, just she wasn't! I was at the vets every other day most days for her to have fluid therapy and injections. I remember my vet saying "not trying to be horrible, but you look dreadful", I explained that I was barely sleeping to feed her every three hours, so then we made an agreement she would go in the vets for the day so I could sleep!!

perhaps its just a Luna thing :lol:

I really hope she picks up soon x make sure they check her teeth. if not, might just be that its gonna take a few weeks :(

Thank you for your replies. As I mentioned in my first post, Luna has been on Cisipride which is a gut mobility med, since Saturday. Also metacam. I have a supply of these, plus injectable penicillin and a few other bits at home all the time.

I am syringe feeding Oxbow critical care every 3 hrs in the day plus late at night and early morning. She has her usual fresh veggies:
Basil, corriander, dill, parsley, mint, lemon balm, carrot tops, dandelions, grass, sow thistle and Ribwort plantain. Plus grated apple and carrot.

Also usual Oxbow hays, the Excel long stemmed hay, the marigold hay, dried oats from Zooplus plus a local meadow hay. Also usual Galens Garden dried plantain, dandelion, lots of tree leaves, strawberry, raspberry and blackberry leaves, mallow, apple, pear, plus lots of dried flowers, echinacea leaves and pellets, other GG pellets and other bits, I can't remember them all. Plus her Science Selective food. I think that's about it.

Basically I've just about run out if ideas and just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. We're at least 100 miles from a bunny vet, but I take them to referrals when needed including Pip needell (can't remember spelling), David Crosby and Bob Partrywho is a European level dental vet in Harrogate. I rely heavily on a lifetime of bunny care nearly 50 now! Plus, RWA membership for years, lots of research and attendance of Frances HB days.

Luna is in her room, restricted area wise, on carpet and vet bed with the heating on 24 hrs (it always is in the colder months) and heat pads, which she ignores. She's perky, interested in what's going on and hopping around. Her wound is clean and dry. She's pooing little bracelets with teeny poos.

I don't know what else to do. She nibbles her veggies and then leaves them and will eat a few crunchy treats, which suggests her mouth and teeth are ok. We've a check up at the vets tomorrow in case I've missed anything. I have never had such a slow recovery from a neuter or spay, even complex ones. I feel like I'm failing Luna, but I don't know what else to do.

The only thing I can suggest which may help is some addition fluid therapy. You probably know that when a Rabbit's GI tract slows down, for whatever reason, any ingesta within the GI tract rapidly dehydrates. This then exacerbates the poor gut motility as the dehydrated matter is less able to break down and pass through the GI tract. So as well as any oral fluids she may be taking on board, some IV or SQ fluids could be given. It sounds as though you would be able to give Subcutaneous Fluids to her yourself ?? you'd just need the Vet to dispense a bag of Hartmanns for you to use.

Did the Vet comment on the specifics of the spay ? Was the procedure at all complicated, anything that could make post surgical adhesions an issue, especially near the colon. Is Luna a young Doe and not at all overweight ? You also probably know that being overweight increases the risk of spaying, including the risk of hepatic lipidosis .

I really hope the Vet can help today. Best wishes x

You're welcome.
Good luck for Luna's check up today.

How are things looking this morning?

Back