• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harlequin and Beauty are finally with us :)

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
Today we brought home Harliquin and Beauty :) both Netherland dwarf girls Harlequin in 9 weeks and Beauty is 8 weeks. They are both getting on fine and I have even seen the odd binky from Harlequin. They are both extreamilly active and seem to be enjoying the more roomy hutch they have now. When they have settled in they will also have the run of the hallway and eventually the whole living room totalling about 120sq ft.

I asked the breeder to see where they were living whilst they were with him and it was so sad. A litter in each four foot hutch with 2 adults and bottles full of algee instead of water :( he also admitted to having more then the six hutches he showed me and my daughter and gave us a lot of wrong information to care for them. He also said their hay should be limited :eek: I know most of what he said to be the wrong way to care for rabbits through reserch and talking to people here and my daughter even tried to correct him. I would have taken more if I had more room.
We have them home and Harlequin has eaten a few nuggets but both seem much more interested in the straw for eating ( that I have as bedding on top of newspaper) then their hay. They have had a few strands of hay but seem to eat much more straw then any thing. Could this be because their hay was limited in the last home? And is it dangerous for them to eat it?

I will upload pictures when I have figured out how.

Straw has no nutritional value at all, are they indoors, I'd remove the state and use unlimited hay
Let them settle first before handling etc, let them get used to there surroundings, New smells etc

Look forward to photo s

So just replace the straw with hay?
The only time I have handled them is getting them out of the pet carrier to put them in the hutch. Apart from that we have left them alone to settle in except my daughter softly singing to them :) we plan to give them a few days befor doing any thing to interact with them.

Thanks Mikek it’s so calming just to listen to them n watch from afar. They already put a smile on my face many times in the last couple of hours

I can't wait to see photos. I adore Harlequin rabbits and my dear bridge Bun Ben was a sweet harlequin. They are very gentle temperment rabbits and you should find them very gentle and caring rabbits. I agree with the hay comments - give them unlimited access to hay. It helps digestion and teeth - the teeth grow constantly and the grinding figure of eight action as they chew hay helps to keep their teeth healthy and the right size. Can't wait for the photos.

I can't wait to see photos. I adore Harlequin rabbits and my dear bridge Bun Ben was a sweet harlequin. They are very gentle temperment rabbits and you should find them very gentle and caring rabbits. I agree with the hay comments - give them unlimited access to hay. It helps digestion and teeth - the teeth grow constantly and the grinding figure of eight action as they chew hay helps to keep their teeth healthy and the right size. Can't wait for the photos.

Yeah, me too :wave:

Harlequin seems more like a mear cat at the moment constantly on up on her hind paws and is incredibly hyper compared to Beauty. I can’t emagen her coming for cuddles at the moment but time will tell. Where as Beauty seems much calmer and more layed back.

Harlequin seems more like a mear cat at the moment constantly on up on her hind paws and is incredibly hyper compared to Beauty. I can’t emagen her coming for cuddles at the moment but time will tell. Where as Beauty seems much calmer and more layed back.

i have a nethie dwarf.
they don't seem to be like other rabbits. 'excitable' seems to best describe them, but 'hyper' fits too! :lol:

but i love Pepper. He is so active - standing on his hind legs, zooming around, binkying. A reet pain to get in at night sometimes though :lol:

Welcome to the forum little ones :love:

I agree with others and think it best you replace the straw with hay.

Did the breeder give you some food or tell you what the rabbits have been eating? It is important that you don't change their diet at this time as they are so young, and slowly phase out the straw and replace with hay. Hope they settle in well with you.

Did the breeder give you some food or tell you what the rabbits have been eating? It is important that you don't change their diet at this time as they are so young, and slowly phase out the straw and replace with hay. Hope they settle in well with you.

Says breeder had them on unlimited hay, so I'd try get same source of hay as they are used to

Thanks for all the sugestions and information it really helps.

Graciee. No not using tap talk ( although I do have an account there) I’m just using the internet to come on here.

Mikek. Pepper sounds like a great rabbit. I would say that Harlequin is definantly excited doesn’t seem to sit still exploring all her toys and doesn’t stop moving although it’s starting to rub off on Beauty and now they are chasing each other around.

Omi. Will be replacing the straw with hay befor bed although we now have hay eating rabbits and a very little clever Beauty that has figured out what the water bowl is for but hasnt gone back a second time.

Tonibun. I have the food the breeder was giving them. Will give them this for a few days then very slowly introduce the new food as I dont want to upset their stomachs.

Minilop. Breeder says he limited their hay so they wouldn’t get fat.
He basically told me any hay that was marketed for rabbits no veg until six months and the food he’s been giving them witch doesn’t have the right nutrition
They do seem to be eating the hay iv given now though.

Last edited:
They are now chasing each other and nipping. I was told they were from the same litter but I don’t think they are.
I will have to separate them when I go to bed.

I thought you were initially told that one was a week older than the other? Some chasing and gentle nipping might be OK to leave and observe carefully whilst they work things out with each other. My current pair (male and female) did this for a couple of days, but I obviously made sure there was no proper aggression.

I thought you were initially told that one was a week older than the other? Some chasing and gentle nipping might be OK to leave and observe carefully whilst they work things out with each other. My current pair (male and female) did this for a couple of days, but I obviously made sure there was no proper aggression.

Hi Omi. That is what we were told originally by the breeder but then yesterday he said they were part of the same litter. Looking at body shape though as well as size and colour I would say they arn’t but these are the first rabbits I have had the pleasure of raising and looking after.
I am separating them when I’m not in the living room to keep an eye on them and it is just nipping and chasing at the moment although I think I saw a short amount of grooming late last night.

Hi Omi. That is what we were told originally by the breeder but then yesterday he said they were part of the same litter. Looking at body shape though as well as size and colour I would say they arn’t but these are the first rabbits I have had the pleasure of raising and looking after.
I am separating them when I’m not in the living room to keep an eye on them and it is just nipping and chasing at the moment although I think I saw a short amount of grooming late last night.

Hi Lisa,
sounds promising. hopefully they'll settle down a bit over the next few days.

the only things i would like to add at this stage are to make sure they're vaccinated for myxy, rhd1 & rhd2 (and/or up to date on the vacs) and also to make sure they don't escape! my previous bunnies would've been difficult to recover if they escaped, but my nethie would be impossible :(. my current pet carrier for vet visits is pretty ropey. i'm going to have to purchase a much better one for the future.

minimum pellets, maximum hay & veg. a swede is a pretty cheap item & if just given whole, keeps them occupied for a few days.

Last edited:
Back