• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutralising fabric covered furniture

Zoobec

Staff member
I’m just cleaning out Frosty’s room whilst the happy couple are in the bunnymoon suite. When they do eventually go into his room I’m going to restrict space to the puppy pen size enclosure they have now and use only the new water bowl, litter tray and dog bed that they have in the bonding pen at the moment. I can clean and mop the room and give it a good water/vinegar neutralising, as it’s laminate floor.

Frosty towers (a cat tree which is 2 boxes with openings on towers covered in fur fabric) is a different matter. I don’t think they should have that for quite a long time after they go in to the room, I can store it out of the way no problem. I can hoover it, steam clean and even spray with vinegar and water, does anyone have experience of using furniture or things like that with a different rabbit bonded to the existing rabbit? And if so what did you do to neutralise it? if I was clever with crafting I could have recovered it with different fabric but I’m not, and it’s got awkward shapes and ledges in it. The fabric is not removable.

I don’t think I could buy a similar one, I got this for a bargain, I think I paid £6 on eBay :lol:

I’m just cleaning out Frosty’s room whilst the happy couple are in the bunnymoon suite. When they do eventually go into his room I’m going to restrict space to the puppy pen size enclosure they have now and use only the new water bowl, litter tray and dog bed that they have in the bonding pen at the moment. I can clean and mop the room and give it a good water/vinegar neutralising, as it’s laminate floor.

Frosty towers (a cat tree which is 2 boxes with openings on towers covered in fur fabric) is a different matter. I don’t think they should have that for quite a long time after they go in to the room, I can store it out of the way no problem. I can hoover it, steam clean and even spray with vinegar and water, does anyone have experience of using furniture or things like that with a different rabbit bonded to the existing rabbit? And if so what did you do to neutralise it? if I was clever with crafting I could have recovered it with different fabric but I’m not, and it’s got awkward shapes and ledges in it. The fabric is not removable.

I don’t think I could buy a similar one, I got this for a bargain, I think I paid £6 on eBay :lol:

I'd opt for hoovering and steam cleaning. Then maybe if weather permits leave it outdoors for 24 hours. Then rub it all down with bedding that both Frosty and his new laydee have sat on.

I'd opt for hoovering and steam cleaning. Then maybe if weather permits leave it outdoors for 24 hours. Then rub it all down with bedding that both Frosty and his new laydee have sat on.

I’ll do that :thumb: hopefully if I keep it away from them for long enough then it should be ok :thumb:

When I've used a carrier for different bunnies, I don't always clean it out (but I do clear out the hay and newspaper) before using it for mine: they always give it a good chinrub (Aboleth especially) but a month or so in the garage seems to take the worst off, as they react the same way to new stuff as well. The cardboard box we use in Winter as an extra hideyhole was used by ThreeB's Skye (RIP :() about 6m before mine used it again and that went down fine, it was just 'interesting'!

Ok my thoughts on this are its not really possible with a lot of furnishings, furniture. Bunnies recognise rooms even if you can change them around, deep clean most of it as they are aware of space, dimensions, routes in & out, each little identifying tooth mark.

When I decided to move my trio in to the lounge I steam cleaned the carpets, washed everything washable, removed belongings, spritzed everything with bicarb & vinegar solutions. All systems go, or so you'd think. So we get Mouse in one carrier, Boo & Joey in another & take them in to their "deep cleaned" room . The second we entered the lounge Boo humped Joe in the carrier. Boo is not a humpy rabbit. Even in the carrier she knew where she was

However I do think properly bonded rabbits will share anothers space very happily .

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it’s pretty much as I thought. I’ll just do my best to clean and neutralise, and they can have the towers when they’ve properly settled :thumb:

Back