• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit Advice/Preparation

Beapig

Mama Doe
We were meant to get our new rescue/castaway rabbit today but the builder is behind on the work on our house, so I think it's going to be mid next week now.

He/she is going to be kept inside over winter until the Spring, we've decided. We have a spare room in our house which is 2.8 x 2.4 metres. I know it isn't perfect and in the long run he/she will have a much bigger space outside with my trio, but for now it's all we can manage. It sounds more likely that she is a doe and will need spaying, so she'll have to stay indoors after the op, and we won't be able to put her back outside until the weather warns up again.

All three of my bunnies have been vaccinated against everything, so I don't need to worry about her potentially spreading disease? Chances are we won't be able to get her to the vet before Christmas at this rate :/ We can't move her in sooner because the builder's stuff/our new toilet and basin are in the spare room currently.

I've ordered in more hay and have plenty of pellets. I also have a spare little tray and bowls. Anything I've forgotten? :)

Camera and photos on here please:D
Looking at your comprehensive list, no I can't see anythingthat you've left out. Personally I'd be keeping your new bun indoors too. It's going to be a big upheaval for bun and without knowing much of the background, I personally think warm and snug with you in the house is the way to go. He'she will get used to your smells and the house and also feed off your love and care. I'm keeping everything crossed for you and can't wait for updates and I so wish I could see the first introduction to Plumpkin. She is going to be so happy at a new friend to keep her company.

Regarding the spread of disease, I agree your three should be OK. However, if it were me, I would make doubly sure and would use different shoes to access the new rabbit's room and different cleaning utensils. It will only be for a short while, but I would be happier doing this.

It's all very exciting :love:

Regarding the spread of disease, I agree your three should be OK. However, if it were me, I would make doubly sure and would use different shoes to access the new rabbit's room and different cleaning utensils. It will only be for a short while, but I would be happier doing this.

It's all very exciting :love:

This is a good call Omi, I'll take extra care just incase. I've been trying to clear anything I can out of the room today to get ready for him/her.

Craig, there will definitely be pictures to come! :D

However, if it were me, I would make doubly sure and would use different shoes to access the new rabbit's room and different cleaning utensils.

Yep me too. I still use seperate cleaning tools per group just as an extra precaution as having multiple sick bunnies really isnt fun. :(

Back