• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After Gabriel.

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
A long time it is since I have posted here, but after finally writing a tribute to Gabriel it is time too to tell you about who he sent to me.

After losing Gabe last year, it was so painful I did not think I could cope with taking on another rabbit and going through the same again. But Mabel at eight and a half needed a partner, and returning her to the rescue was unthinkable. Then two days after losing Gabe, North West Rabbit Rescue had a gut feeling about a rabbit needing help and without seeing him first, took in an overweight boy, with a massive crusted area on his face and a wee and poo covered rear end. You can imagine how angry and upset Katy from the rescue was when he was handed over.

At that point, Daniel as he had been christened, had just about given up. He had stopped eating, and with his face and bottom cleaned and an Xray carried out it was plain to see the cause of his problems. With advanced dental disease, his right upper tooth roots had impacted on his tear duct causing all the tears to run onto his face. With neglect this had caused the huge crusty mass on the right side of his face. His weight and bottom suggested time spent in a hutch with no exercise.

The rescue then thought of me, looking for an older partner for Mabel, but not necessarily a long term partner given her age. It almost seemed like fate that Daniel should come along then. Thanks to the care of a veterinary nurse who took Daniel home he started to eat again, but was not yet out of the woods.

I was messaging the rescue a lot for updates - PB, short for poorly boy, I called him. Then one evening, this led to Pebbles which seemed to suit as a name given his harlequin, pebble like colouring. Is that what you would call him the rescue messaged me back.

I was just about to reply yes, I think I would when Robot Wars came onto the television. A programme I have not seen for a long time. And the first robot on was called Gabriel2. I honestly believe that this was a sign. It still sends shivers down my spine when I talk about it.

The robot handler's name was Toby. And so Daniel became Toby and came to live with me in November last year.

On 12th December - the date being the day after Gabe was rescued, Toby and Mabel were bonded at the rescue whilst I moved house. They came back home after Christmas and are now celebrating a year together. We had no idea how long Toby would have given his teeth issues but what I do know is that Gabe will be proud of him. From an overweight ball of fur he has blossomed into an incredibly cheeky rabbit whose excursions in escaping from our new garden this summer has led to several choice words and several run panels blocking off escape routes.

Toby's love of life and antics make me smile every day. It is wonderful to see him enjoying life after his neglect. I am convinced Gabe had a paw in this. So thank you my Gabriel for sending Toby to me and Mabel.

I’m so glad that Toby found his way to you and Mabel, he sounds like he is enjoying his new life :love:

Gabriel really was a very lucky and special rabbit, a hard act to follow. So please you found another special bun that needed your love and care xx

Back