• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some Vets! >:|

SandyBunny

Young Bun
Some vets seems don't have a clue what they are on about.

I took Sandy for her vaccinations over a week ago for Myxmatosis and VHD1. I know the VHD2 one, its a separate vaccination and needs to be done 2 weeks part of VHD1. So called my vet to arrange to be told by a rude receptionist I may add, "I checked with the vet and we don't keep it at this branch" I asked why, even though I was told VHD2 isn't wide spread as of yet (I read differently), better safe than sorry right?

She goes "Well! I just asked vet and vet said she doesn't have to have it!" which I proceeded to say "Regardless, isn't it responsible as a vet who is supposed to CARE for animals to have this in stock as its recommended rabbits have it" she proceeded to say they don't have it and I will need to go to another branch.

Changing vets I think. I was put off by this telling rabbit owners, they don't need VHD2 considering there's 2 strains and shows no symptoms. :roll:

Last edited:
Some vets seems don't have a clue what they are on about.

I took Sandy for her vaccinations over a week ago for Myxmatosis and VHD1. I know the VHD2 one, its a separate vaccination and needs to be done within 2 weeks of VHD1. So called my vet to arrange to be told by a rude receptionist I may add, "I checked with the vet and we don't keep it at this branch" I asked why, even though I was told VHD2 isn't wide spread as of yet (I read differently), better safe than sorry right?

She goes "Well! I just asked vet and vet said she doesn't have to have it!" which I proceeded to say "Regardless, isn't it responsible as a vet who is supposed to CARE for animals to have this in stock as its recommended rabbits have it" she proceeded to say they don't have it and I will need to go to another branch.

Changing vets I think. I was put off by this telling rabbit owners, they don't need VHD2 considering there's 2 strains and shows no symptoms. :roll:

Since I'm the one documenting RHD2 outbreaks/cases for the Forum ...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-December-2018

.... I strongly disagree that it's not widespread :shock:

I totally agree with you - vets should get themselves informed about this virus.

Perhaps you should tell your vet about the article in 'Vet Times' recently concerning RHD2

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/vet..._wcXkP6Fwj0ZUy9431R_x6BHZhFgLtaFaW5q7jlprUUYQ

Since I'm the one documenting RHD2 outbreaks/cases for the Forum ...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-December-2018

.... I strongly disagree that it's not widespread :shock:

I totally agree with you - vets should get themselves informed about this virus.

Perhaps you should tell your vet about the article in 'Vet Times' recently concerning RHD2

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/vet..._wcXkP6Fwj0ZUy9431R_x6BHZhFgLtaFaW5q7jlprUUYQ

I will do. I don't know if I'm allowed to name the vet branch here but I've been thinking about leaving them for a while, since another company took them over, they are slowly going down hill.

I will do. I don't know if I'm allowed to name the vet branch here but I've been thinking about leaving them for a while, since another company took them over, they are slowly going down hill.

Yes, in my experience that tends to happen when a company takes over a good vet practice :cry:

Don't name them publicly, but feel free to PM me :)

It took my vet months to get it in stock too. It's really bad :/

You would think a vet would know better wouldn't you? I was getting really short with them on the phone because they kept saying no out break in my area. To me it sounded like, they would rather wait and then give it, which made no sense to me.

I know the VHD2 one, its a separate vaccination and needs to be done within 2 weeks of VHD1.:

Just to clarify, they don’t need to be done within 2 weeks but should be given at least 2 weeks apart.

I agree that there is still a serious lack of information about this outside of rabbit groups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's bad customer service! I was the one that told my vets about the new vaccine and my vet had only heard murmers about RHD2 but not investigated any further. Then the vet retired & when I asked again the new vet in charge emailed me about it and got it in stock when it became a bit easier to get hold of. Now they even send out email newsletters to rabbit owners stressing its importance. The irony my own two are too ill and they can't be vaccinated now, but at the very least I hope it has benefitted other bunnies in my area. I was really impressed how receptive they were to listening to me about it! They have always been quite good about listening to me regarding rabbit things, you'd think the vet would want to further their knowledge and expertise if they got the chance!

Vets replied to my message. All I got was "well if you want it, we can order it from France but we don't know how long it will take to arrive" I'm moving vets, tired of them now.

yup - I've had to argue with a receptionist too. they told me that RHD2 was just a "joke" and scare mongering, there was no such thing. I then proceeded to email them the next day with multiple trusted links about it, along with their own chain company having a page on it (was companion care). they quickly apologised and ordered it in..but still..what a nightmare.

I changed practices after that anyhow, as they proved to be inefficient with diagnosing issues. went to get a second opinion and stuck with them :lol:

I always would say that if a receptionist is handing out false information..its probably time to switch anyhow. receptionists are the forefront of the practice, they are the ones who you talk to first, or answer questions you ask. most of the time you can't even talk to a vet for medical advice. if they're handing out wrong advice they obviously haven't been trained properly, which could be seriously dangerous for those who don't know any better. same for receptionists who tell to starve rabbits before surgery because that's standard, given to other people that could prove fatal and they obviously haven't been told correct information.

I'm not sure if it would be any use, so perhaps somebody else can offer better information. but I would even consider putting a complaint to the RWAF. even if they're not a RWAF recommended practice they still seem to be interested in vet practices who aren't up to scratch on rabbits.

yup - I've had to argue with a receptionist too. they told me that RHD2 was just a "joke" and scare mongering, there was no such thing. I then proceeded to email them the next day with multiple trusted links about it, along with their own chain company having a page on it (was companion care). they quickly apologised and ordered it in..but still..what a nightmare.

I changed practices after that anyhow, as they proved to be inefficient with diagnosing issues. went to get a second opinion and stuck with them :lol:

I always would say that if a receptionist is handing out false information..its probably time to switch anyhow. receptionists are the forefront of the practice, they are the ones who you talk to first, or answer questions you ask. most of the time you can't even talk to a vet for medical advice. if they're handing out wrong advice they obviously haven't been trained properly, which could be seriously dangerous for those who don't know any better. same for receptionists who tell to starve rabbits before surgery because that's standard, given to other people that could prove fatal and they obviously haven't been told correct information.

I'm not sure if it would be any use, so perhaps somebody else can offer better information. but I would even consider putting a complaint to the RWAF. even if they're not a RWAF recommended practice they still seem to be interested in vet practices who aren't up to scratch on rabbits.

I just emailed them to have a manager call me back because I'm not getting anywhere with the vets or the receptionists >:|

That's bad customer service! I was the one that told my vets about the new vaccine and my vet had only heard murmers about RHD2 but not investigated any further. Then the vet retired & when I asked again the new vet in charge emailed me about it and got it in stock when it became a bit easier to get hold of. Now they even send out email newsletters to rabbit owners stressing its importance. The irony my own two are too ill and they can't be vaccinated now, but at the very least I hope it has benefitted other bunnies in my area. I was really impressed how receptive they were to listening to me about it! They have always been quite good about listening to me regarding rabbit things, you'd think the vet would want to further their knowledge and expertise if they got the chance!

I just don't understand this - vets can read the info, and discover that RHD2 is virulent and deadly. Why - after all this time - can't they encourage their customers to vaccinate?

I remember when Filavac first became available, I rang my trusted vet at that time only to find the receptionist telling me (and indeed one of the vet nurses said the same) that there wasn't a vaccine and it wasn't available in the UK. <sigh> Fortunately they got on the ball and have been promoting it since.

I know people on here complain about 'vet bashing', but come on - RHD2 is deadly!!! There's no excuse for not vaccinating for RHD2 just as there isn't for Myxo :roll:

I just don't understand this - vets can read the info, and discover that RHD2 is virulent and deadly. Why - after all this time - can't they encourage their customers to vaccinate?

I remember when Filavac first became available, I rang my trusted vet at that time only to find the receptionist telling me (and indeed one of the vet nurses said the same) that there wasn't a vaccine and it wasn't available in the UK. <sigh> Fortunately they got on the ball and have been promoting it since.

I know people on here complain about 'vet bashing', but come on - RHD2 is deadly!!! There's no excuse for not vaccinating for RHD2 just as there isn't for Myxo :roll:

I've been with this vet for over 20+ years, with dogs they are fine and they claim to be knowledgable with small animals, they clearly aren't. Also I emailed that vet times article you linked me about the RVHD2, they totally ignored it and gave me same answer -.-

I've been with this vet for over 20+ years, with dogs they are fine and they claim to be knowledgable with small animals, they clearly aren't. Also I emailed that vet times article you linked me about the RVHD2, they totally ignored it and gave me same answer -.-

I would definitely go elsewhere, I go to a different branch of the same vets, one with the dogs/cat and one with my rabbit as the vets at that branch are both very rabbit savvy. And I use yet another vets for the goats.

I think it’s terrible that they are giving bad advice out, and unwilling to help when you try to educate them.

You could post on here asking for ‘recommendations for a rabbit savvy vet in whatever town’ or try the rwaf rabbit friendly vet list https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Vets just called.

Because I complained and made a fuss, they are getting me the RVHD2 vaccine from another branch..... that's all they had to do!

I would definitely go elsewhere, I go to a different branch of the same vets, one with the dogs/cat and one with my rabbit as the vets at that branch are both very rabbit savvy. And I use yet another vets for the goats.

I think it’s terrible that they are giving bad advice out, and unwilling to help when you try to educate them.

You could post on here asking for ‘recommendations for a rabbit savvy vet in whatever town’ or try the rwaf rabbit friendly vet list https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
Yea exotic vets for exotics, normal vet for cats and dogs haha, altho.. My vet may also end up with me taking my future dogs to him too, because he's just so damn good [emoji38] hoping and praying he doesn't wanna retire soon [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

Exactly. I even think once my now retired vet looked something up about it while I was still in the consult room. If I was a vet and something 'new' came on the scene I would immediately want to learn about it!

I'm glad you are able to get hold of it SandyBunny :) maybe now they will get on board and stock it in their branch.

Exactly. I even think once my now retired vet looked something up about it while I was still in the consult room. If I was a vet and something 'new' came on the scene I would immediately want to learn about it!

I'm glad you are able to get hold of it SandyBunny :) maybe now they will get on board and stock it in their branch.

I agree, so would I :D

Reminds me of GPs who don't keep up to date. The ones I try and avoid!

Have had two vets in different areas tell my clients lately that there is no need to vaccinate against RhD2. This was for a rabbit coming in to boarding in a different county to where it lives and another one was told that the RHD2 couldn't be given until after the booster so they didn't have time to do both vaccines and had to go elsewhere for boarding leaving me out of pocket. Starting to get very miffed now, but not willing to put the business at risk and end up being closed down :evil:

Sandy had her RVHD2 vaccine today, can stop stressing about it now until next year >.<

Was doing some research online today about the disease, and some vets believe its airborne, not just passed from rabbit to rabbit. My vet did give me bull about because there isn't much information on the RVHD2, it isn't orded that often and usually only given to commercial rabbits.

Back