• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit insurance for 6 plus?

Isn't there one insurer that every so often lets people with older buns join..I think it starts with an A..? Hopefully someone else will know :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

A is for Agria. If you pop Agria in the search bar you get lots of older bunny insurance threads. Of course this one is always worth posting again as things change & different members chip in

A is for Agria. If you pop Agria in the search bar you get lots of older bunny insurance threads. Of course this one is always worth posting again as things change & different members chip in
Thank you! [emoji7][emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

Agria. They are doing an age amnesty at the moment so you can insure any age.

NCI also *I think* insure rabbits up to 7 years old, but they recently didn't pay out a claim for me so I wouldn't recommend them!

Thanks for raising this Lucy!

Has anyone ever used Agria/ got positive reviews? About to do a search on now!

Allelu Alleluiaaa. Praise RU

Thanks to this thread I have just insured my Denny boy.

Do not call the call centre to set up. Use the website and do it yourself. The staff aren't very good on the computers and I had polices set up all over the shop for my bridge bunnies with annual and monthly payments being taken for all sorts of duplicate policies.

Agria have paid out very quickly with no argument or questioning. They paid out thousands for Toby.

For Dennis we chose the top policy with 0% excess. He has also needed a dental in the past so had to select has has experienced illness before

£240 a year

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Allelu Alleluiaaa. Praise RU

Thanks to this thread I have just insured my Denny boy.

Do not call the call centre to set up. Use the website and do it yourself. The staff aren't very good on the computers and I had polices set up all over the shop for my bridge bunnies with annual and monthly payments being taken for all sorts of duplicate policies.

Agria have paid out very quickly with no argument or questioning. They paid out thousands for Toby.

For Dennis we chose the top policy with 0% excess. He has also needed a dental in the past so had to select has has experienced illness before

£240 a year

I never know whether to insure my lot or not, super on the fence about it D:

Sent via carrier pigeon

Sent via carrier pigeon
Obviously I've had a bit of a roller coaster year but just on bunnies the vets recieved around 6,000. The tortoise was uninsured and was £960? I loves insurance

Sent via carrier pigeon

Same here. We adopted two pensioners, and I never got round to insuring them but ended up spending thousands on Harrison.

I will insure the new rabbit I get though.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Its a really interesting question isn't it. On the one hand insurance companies are there to make money & do it very successfully so in theory you'd pay more in insurance than you'd claim. However....the average RU member is prob not the average bunny owner (far superior & more likely to access extensive health care of course). If I was minted (or for anyone that is) I'd recommend a bunny health savings club & put x amount in a bank account every month. Joey used to have premium bonds, then the trio had an ISA :lol:

Its a really interesting question isn't it. On the one hand insurance companies are there to make money & do it very successfully so in theory you'd pay more in insurance than you'd claim. However....the average RU member is prob not the average bunny owner (far superior & more likely to access extensive health care of course). If I was minted (or for anyone that is) I'd recommend a bunny health savings club & put x amount in a bank account every month. Joey used to have premium bonds, then the trio had an ISA [emoji38]
Yea that's the thing, I have some money that I never touch which is there for any of the animals really. If I get a dog I'd insure them 100%.. Idk why but I'm just not sure about the buns.

Been thinking about it a lot recently, I guess my thoughts are, it's gunna be what like £30 x 4 each month? But how much is that gunna rise as they age...? And Clementine and her knees.. She was so young when it happened, and Atticus and his gut issues [emoji38] I'm guessing they'll be excluded.. Tough one!

Sent via carrier pigeon

If you can't afford thousands of pounds per year in vet fees, then you need insurance, simple as that really.

PetPlan don't put up premiums much, it's the excess that changes. If you have a young bun, definitely go with PetPlan.

The only time I wouldn't have insurance is if they have had serious health conditions already, if that's the case you really need to stash loads of cash in savings in case it's needed.

If you can't afford thousands of pounds per year in vet fees, then you need insurance, simple as that really.

PetPlan don't put up premiums much, it's the excess that changes. If you have a young bun, definitely go with PetPlan.

The only time I wouldn't have insurance is if they have had serious health conditions already, if that's the case you really need to stash loads of cash in savings in case it's needed.
I think I read on here about them hiking up the premiums by a fair amount? Idk I really don't know what to do for the best. I've never not been able to afford treatment so far... And I don't really have the hospital overnight costs, because my vet doesn't do that... So other than ops and tests.. That's all really - Idk previous vet used to like to keep them in and charge lots.. My current vet just doesn't have anyone there overnight so it works out cheaper, I guess?

Very difficult one for me! Maybe I'll get a quote for all 4 tomorrow, thing that bothers me is it'll probably just keep going up every year, and definitely one of my buns will have exclusions due to her knee ops when she was like 16 weeks old.

Sent via carrier pigeon

I think I read on here about them hiking up the premiums by a fair amount? Idk I really don't know what to do for the best. I've never not been able to afford treatment so far... And I don't really have the hospital overnight costs, because my vet doesn't do that... So other than ops and tests.. That's all really - Idk previous vet used to like to keep them in and charge lots.. My current vet just doesn't have anyone there overnight so it works out cheaper, I guess?

Very difficult one for me! Maybe I'll get a quote for all 4 tomorrow, thing that bothers me is it'll probably just keep going up every year, and definitely one of my buns will have exclusions due to her knee ops when she was like 16 weeks old.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Yeah, it's a nightmare getting the right balance. I cancelled insurance on two of my elderlies as the Petplan premiums had got really high - it was nearly £600 a year for just the two rabbits. The main deciding factor was that as well as high premiums the excesses were over £100 +20%.. I thought both high premiums and excesses was taking the Mick. I also figured I'd be unlikely to pay for anything invasive anyway given their age and neither had ailed of anything much in their lifetimes... I needed to have a bill of £400 a year for each of them to break even on what I was paying for peace of mind. In the subsequent two years Tink cost me £300 so the gamble won. For Esme about a month after I cancelled she needed surgery that cost £400, so broke even the first year.. the second year she needed blockage surgery ... £900 (and died within 10 days!).

Another thing that made me too scared to cancel on my other rabbits was out of hours fees. While the vet I was using at the time had very low OOH fees I couldn't guarantee that staying the same at it had a new owner and they didn't cover all of their own out of hours anyway. 6 months ago they contracted out their OOH and I had a run of paying £700 for a few stasis episodes OOH. Thank God I kept them insured.

There's just so much to weigh up. If I only had c2-6 bunnies I probably won't have insurance but as 4 of mine all needed OOH in the course of a month the risk factor was greater with 20+ so I sleep easier with insurance...

Back