• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Insurance

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hi All,

After reading the topic about vets bills I am thinking it would be a good idea to have some insurance for my bunnies, I only have one at the moment, but I am having another one in a few weeks. Could anyone advise me on the best insurance companies for this? I remember ringing round a few a year ago, and they all seemed to just be for cats and dogs.

Thanks in advance
Tree

hiya tree, i use petplan insurance for my dogs and rabbits, depending on the area it can be quite expensive but rabbit illnessess don't come cheap :shock:

Hi, I also use petplan for my cats so would probably use them for shadey too when i get her that is :lol:

Hi Tree,

Well I have one chinchilla and just got a rabbit, and I took out insurance to cover my chinchilla in January and by April had racked up a £600 vet bill, luckily the insurance paid most of it.

So in my case insurance in that instance was well worth it.

I have taken out insurance for my bunny, a month ago I joined one company and I since found out that they didnt cover for life long illnesses, so yesterday I joined Pet Plan and it costs me almost £7.00 a month.

If you give Pet plan a ring they will go through it all or you can do it online.

Carole

Thank you,

I am going to wait for the MD to go out and give them a bell, I want to see if they do a discout for multiple pets.

Hiya Tree

My three bunsters are with Petplan - they do a multiple bunny discount which I think starts at 3 x bunnies but might be worth double checking to make sure I have this right.

Hope this helps.

I would highly recommend Petplan, they have always been very fair with me and paid out promptly, which is important when you have a large unexpected Bill.
Unfortunately I cannot have all the Sanctuary bunnies insured, so instead as we have 30 rabbits, I put x amount of money away each month into a Vet Fund. This works well too, just as long as you really keep the money aside and resist spending it on anything else :roll: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking maybe I should set up a monthly Direct Debit made out to the vet or ask for shares in the practice :roll:

Oh Tam, don't even go there :oops:

I used to fancy Pam's vet boss, I met him years ago when I worked in a dental practice and he was just starting out on his career. How embarrasing :oops:

After having my bunnies insured for 6 years with PetPlan I have finally decided to cancel the insurance as I have 7 rabbits now and it is just not viable anymore. So I will now put a set amount aside every month into a special account instead.

Vera

PS. I was always happy at how quickly PetPlan dealt with everything though. Never had any problems with them.

Tamsin said:
I always thought marrying a vet would be a good solution :D

Yes I have been down that road too in the past Tamsin, and dated two Vets...did I have an ulterior motive perhaps?? :roll: :oops: :lol:

LurcherGirl said:
After having my bunnies insured for 6 years with PetPlan I have finally decided to cancel the insurance as I have 7 rabbits now and it is just not viable anymore. So I will now put a set amount aside every month into a special account instead.

Vera

PS. I was always happy at how quickly PetPlan dealt with everything though. Never had any problems with them.

With so many animals I do the same as Vera.

Louise

I think I'm going to have to put cash aside with 11 buns.

Vet2Pet (I think) do insurance which with every animal insured you get a month free, but I don't think they'll insure me with 11 buns :cry:

Morning all,

Thank you for so many replies. I think I may look at starting to put money aside, as I can insure the buns, but not my pigs and the coverage for my birds isn't very good. I must make sure I put money aside though as I am not very good at saving at the best of times.

Cheers
Tree
x

Back