• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A question about Dennis

loobers25

Warren Veteran
When I watch Dennis tummy go up and down as he breathes it's slower than Maples. I was worried so got Dennis checked and he couldn't hear anything wrong in his chest. My anxietys where heightened at the time as was feeling traumatised about the whole vet trip in the car, so I didn't ask any further questions.

My question is that now Dennis is over 8 does rabbits breathing get slower with age? And if so do they need cardiac meds just like us hoomans

OH says Dennis is fine, doesn't behave anything like Toby and never had a stasis episode. Good appetite and lots of playing and zooms. Says it will be more stressful for Dennis to take him back to the vets again. But his breathing is definitely slower but then he is twice as old as Maples. My mum is not worried as says he wouldn't of lived this long on no meds If he had a heart condition.

I've got myself really worked up and worried. Does anyone have any experience? Should I get it investigated or is this my grief not letting me rationalise?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have made a appointment next Friday but will cancel depending on replies. Here they are now on the forage hunt
2b1c657031ef83ed1a0ad2b60a4a79f3.jpg
0b2b895c37af96cf8fcf3e402c2a06d3.jpg

I don't know the answer but didn't want to read and run. I would imagine bunny breathing rates vary as do humans. I have never compared my buns rates unless one of them was poorly.

To avoid the stress of taking Dennis to the vet I would count his breaths per minute a few times, work out the average, and then have a chat to the vet or even a vet nurse and ask if they think he needs to be seen. Or even better get your OH to count them. Bunnies are so intuitive I think they pick up on our stress and this could affect the way Dennis is breathing when you are watching him (hope this doesn't offend you).

On a completely different topic - can I come visit soon please?:):)

I don't know the answer but didn't want to read and run. I would imagine bunny breathing rates vary as do humans. I have never compared my buns rates unless one of them was poorly.

To avoid the stress of taking Dennis to the vet I would count his breaths per minute a few times, work out the average, and then have a chat to the vet or even a vet nurse and ask if they think he needs to be seen. Or even better get your OH to count them. Bunnies are so intuitive I think they pick up on our stress and this could affect the way Dennis is breathing when you are watching him (hope this doesn't offend you).

I agree with Rhianna. And I’m the same, never compared breathing rates.

I’m sure if he’s happy and well it’s probably normal for him :thumb:

8 is not necessarily "old" especially if a rabbit has been looked after well. Dennis should be good for another couple of years I reckon. My Dusty is 10.5 now!

Can you count his respiratory rate (breaths per minute). There is a wide 'normal' range- 30-60 bpm. I very much doubt that Dennis has heart problems.

I like Rhianna 's suggestion of talking to Uncle John about why you're making the appointment & if he feels its necessary. I personally don't think there sounds like there is anything wrong with Dennis, he seems like a beautiful, happy & healthy boy but then I'm not a vet. It wouldn't surprise me if you experiences with Toby have heightened any insecurities which would be entirely natural. I worry more when my rabbits breathe fast rather than slow. He is a chilled bunny?

Thanks everybun for taking the time to reply to me. I'll get Joe to count for me when he gets home. Dennis is a super chilled bunny, if I could have Dennis to over ten I would feel so so blessed.

I just put my felt bunny you made me on the tree. Or I could see your furries. Either way I have lots of time off coming up auntie Karen xx

I agree with other comments. All my rabbits have always stressed massively when they go to the vets with rapid heart beat and drooling. I personally would think that Dennis is just super chilled, but I also think you are wise to get your OH to count the beats.

Did your Mum have Dennis from when he was very young?

I agree with other comments. All my rabbits have always stressed massively when they go to the vets with rapid heart beat and drooling. I personally would think that Dennis is just super chilled, but I also think you are wise to get your OH to count the beats.

Did your Mum have Dennis from when he was very young?
Yes I believe he was 6 months old? What you thinking omi? xx

I like Rhianna 's suggestion of talking to Uncle John about why you're making the appointment & if he feels its necessary. I personally don't think there sounds like there is anything wrong with Dennis, he seems like a beautiful, happy & healthy boy but then I'm not a vet. It wouldn't surprise me if you experiences with Toby have heightened any insecurities which would be entirely natural. I worry more when my rabbits breathe fast rather than slow. He is a chilled bunny?

I agree - Dennis sounds like a healthy happy chappie :)

I would count the number of breaths he takes in a minute when he's at rest, and then talk with John about it.
(make sure he's relaxed at the time and not in a stressful or wildly energetic mood!)

Yes I believe he was 6 months old? What you thinking omi? xx

Nothing super insightful, I was just wondering if you were confident of his age. Dennis always looks to me like a younger rabbit :)

I just put my felt bunny you made me on the tree. Or I could see your furries. Either way I have lots of time off coming up auntie Karen xx

I'm working a lot over Christmas but would love to visit you all. My house is still a tip as my neighbours are having an extension built and the noise, dust and being unable to park have meant I have spent very little time at home lately. I've been walking around the shops like a stray animal trying not to spend any money so the house has got even more cluttered than usual. I have to tread on things to get to bed :oops:

OK everyone, so Dennis was 44 resting and Sryup was 63 but she had been running around at that moment

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

OK everyone, so Dennis was 44 resting and Sryup was 63 but she had been running around at that moment

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

From what Jane said then, it looks like he's bang in the middle of normal :)

If I were you I would repeat the experiment over the next couple of days to see if there is any variation, but so far it doesn't seem like there is any cause for concern.

all this counting rabbit breathes is new to me. i'm not sure i'b be able. How exactly do you do it?

Back