• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying - What Age?

Carole

Warren Scout
Me again - sorry new to all these bunny things.

Misty is now 12 weeks old, what is the best age to get her spayed - I have seen somewhere that you can get them done from 4 months which will be Xmas time for Misty, so will get her done first thing January, or do you think that is too early.

As per an earlier message, she has taken a liking to a small piece of towel in her hutch and started making a funny noise and a lurching movement when I went to move it today, obviously didnt like me touching it, is that a hormonal thing or territorial?

Any advise as usual would be very much appreciated.

Carole.

p.s. I am hoping to get her a neutered male friend in the New Year

Ideally 6 months for a doe, but you can get them done earlier if they're getting aggressive and your vet feels that they're grown enough for the operation. I haven't personally had a bunny spayed earlier than 5 months though.

Personally I like to wait until they are a little more mature, at least 6 months old. Angel was spayed at 8 months old. Vera

Thanks for the advice.

As she will be 6months in March do you think it will be ok to get her a friend after Xmas and then get her spayed a couple of months later, as I have been recommended to get her a companion sooner rather than later.

Carole

As long as the companion is a male neutered at least 2 months ago or another female (pref. spayed) you shouldn't have too much trouble if you don't have her spayed straight away as far as I am aware. However females can be more aggressive towards prospective partners if they haven't been spayed - might make it more difficult to bond them.

Also with Athena - she was giving off hormones (it was spring/summer I got her) and Zeus just wouldn't stop trying to mount her (even though he had been done). It seemed to calm down after she was spayed and eventually he stopped.

Caz

Hi Caz,

Thanks for your help. There are a couple of neutered males that have been neutered for a while and they will be tried with my rabbit beginning of January, and then I will get her spayed when she is about 6 months, or before if necessary.

How long did you separate yours for after she had been spayed? was just wondering how long the separation process if for her recovery.

Carole

Carole said:
How long did you separate yours for after she had been spayed? was just wondering how long the separation process if for her recovery.

I put my bunnies back together straight away. If my boys were ever boisterous then I'd separate them, but so far they seem to realise they should just leave the doe alone while she's groggy and grumpy.

Mine weren't fully bonded when I had her done as she was rescued, unspayed at approx 1-2yrs old and I started trying to bond them before she was done - then two weeks later she was spayed. My vet advised keeping them apart for 1 - 2 weeks after mainly because Zeus is twice her size and could have burst her stitches if he had jumped on her (as he was still not getting the hint that permanently being mounted is not fun). She was still living in a cage next to his home under the stairs so they could see each other but they weren't allowed together.

It is probably best to ask your vet what s/he recommends. If they are fully bonded by the time comes to get her spayed then the mounting behaviour will be reduced so it is probably fine to put them together straight away.

Caz

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. My vet who keeps rabbits said at the most they need to be apart for 24hrs if they are bonded, but I wanted to get people's opinions on here.

My vet is very nice but very matter of fact about it all, and I think it is always interesting to learn about other peoples experience.

Carole

Back