• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns too long in rescues

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Just an idea but how about a section on here or a special appeal on Rabbit Rehome for those buns who have been in rescues the longest. some rabbits seem to be continually overlooked for no apparent reason. A special section highlighting them might help..the sympathy vote etc.
And do small animal rescues ever swop animals that have "stuck" in their area a long time. I know dog rescues do this to give the chance of a new group of people looking at them.
Just thinking.......!!!! :D

I'm not sure about the swapping, I'll leave that to the rescues to answer :)

I think highlighting the long-termers is a good idea, I'm planning on doing lots of work on RR over Christmas adding in some of the features people have mentioned. So I'll add that to my plans.

Tam

I think thats a good idea, when i worked with the samaritons i must have been charmed because usually someone rung up to say they would take the uglyest rabbit i had and had no chance of being rehomed, then there was the dissadvantaged ones like 3 legs they always went fast. I even had no trouble rehoming the french lop red eyed wht, normaly wrong colour and to big for most people. I think once peopl are told that a particular rabbit has no chance of being re homed someone will want them . Advatising to the widest possable audence will usualy work, so i think you should give it a go. val

its a good idea, the trouble being most will either be black or white, they seem to be the ones that stick the most.

KATHY said:
its a good idea, the trouble being most will either be black or white, they seem to be the ones that stick the most.

Funny you should say that Kathy, even though I have not got my other cat any more, Monty was jet black, Casper is mainly white with some ginger splodges on him. It did not matter what we wore, if you were wearing black you got coated in white fur, if you wore white then you got coated in black fur :lol: :lol: I wonder if this is what puts people off, not realising that all animals malt.

I know I fell for my latest rabbit after being told he'd been in rescue all his life as no one wanted him as they thought he was ugly with big ears :( - that just did it for me!

And just for the record.. he's not at all ugly and everyone that has seen him think's he lovely!
:)

I like black and white bunnies. I don't understand why they get left. The black bunnies are so glossy and pretty, and a clean white bunny is just stunning. Sheffield is black and white, our two lops are black, Cassy was white when we got her, but now flecked with grey and Chips and Monopoly are grey and white. Boscov in waiting is a REW. So we're doing our bit to redress the balance.

And as for a bunny with big ears being ugly, these people clearly don't understand the point of rabbits.

I got 1 white and 1 black, Eamon was very very cute and he was already bonded with Anna (white and red eyes) and I couldnt bare to sperate them.

I could have gone with some babies but I thoought these deserve a chance and are only about 8 months anyway. The babies were cute but they grow up too!

KATHY said:

Hiya Kathy - This is such a shame - I think education might help for folks in choosing the personality of the bunny rather than the looks - Zac is a jet black the bunny I fell for on the Bunny run from Plymouth to Birmingham and he has a personality "to die for" - It seems to be like any pet really - folks are all to keen to go for the "Looker" albeit these are also special - the "Quriky" ones also have soooooooo much love to offer.

If any rescues want me to do a write-up regarding my jet Black Bunny Zac and his loving ways which may help you rehome some of your black bunnies please PM me I'll be pleased to do this and provide some pickies of Zac too.

Hope this helps.

Over and Out.

how about a new thread for all black and all white buns in rescues at moment..I know Tamsin is going to highlight them on Rabbit rehome soon but maybe if a few are highlighted on here now they may be lucky in finding a home before Christmas...

ive just rehomed a white bunny and a black one i think there both beautifull!
66326306b5fb3dc95a090eef63a65e1f.JPG

2f9e7bfd20ec6d52a0de0299bf3f7d4d.JPG

Marie they are beautiful...I saw the other rexs at Kathys and was tempted to bring the white one home! She has so many buns needing homes.. and told me someone wanted to bring in another 24!
It's such a shame as soon as some are homed more are dumped :cry:

:( I took home an albino from a petshop before all her brothers and sisters were lovely colours and got homes quickley and she was all alone. (She was the one that had a cist on her back and was apparently a nasty bunny but she wasnt) I thought she was really sweet

:( I took home an albino from a petshop before all her brothers and sisters were lovely colours and got homes quickley and she was all alone. (She was the one that had a cist on her back and was apparently a nasty bunny but she wasnt) I thought she was really sweet

I agree it would be great to get some of our long termer promoted. Our small rescue centre is quite lucky, thanks to websites like rabbit rehome and a few others who give us free advertising, the longest our rabbits usually stay in for is about 3 months. We also rotate our rabbits so they do not get fed up, so that they have different hutches, runs etc.

If any one is intrested there is a general classified site, that has contacted us to give us free advertising. This is another great way of advertising animal, espically if people do not know about rabbit rehome. They have asked me to pass on any other rescue centre information, to give them free advertising aswell, so if anyone is intrested, if you email me with the name, address and email address of your rescue i'll pass it on.

I hope this is some help to some of you. Amanda :wink:

I have a pair of black bunnies who have been in rescue most of their lives and they are now 3.5 years old! I am amazed at how bunnies like this are passed over, apparently it is the same for cats and dogs too, I always make sure I have a black/white dog and/or cat to try and help out!!

Yes it true, our cattery usually has many black cats that get overlooked or people phone up looking for a cat and state they dont want black.

How can anyone judge on colour when they dont know their temperment or personality.

One of our rabbits in the center is a black and white Dutch x and nobody is ever intrested in him, yet he is so loving.

KATHY said:

How strange! I never knew that!

I am looking for a friend for Charlie bun, and I really don't care what colour it is! I don't mind whether she has uppy or downy ears, or what size she is (well except for huge as that wouldn't be fair on her in my flat). I think the only thing I'll draw the line at is if she has long hair as she will be living in my lounge and I have enough fur problems as it is!

I can't understand people choosing on colour! Its like finding a bargain of a car and not having it cos its the wrong colour!

Hey.... lets scream loud for black and white animals!! Problem is I'm not sure of my colour, a sort of yucckky pinkish I think!!! But seriously anyone visiting one of our rescues, for some reason they are the ones overlooked. Alice

Back