• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House rabbits and Christmas trees

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Anyone dare to put up the Christmas tree and how have you found it?

This year I'm getting a real Christmas tree as my plastic one broke. I bought a lovely wicker skirt to protect the base. Never had a real one so really looking forward to it. I read in the Rabbiting on magazine it was ok for bunnies to have the odd nibble.

Last year I didn't bother with a Christmas tree. The year before last, I thought I would be really clever and make bunny decorations from foraged pine cones and toilets rolls. Millie and Toby did nothing but tear Christmas tree down to the point one of the legs snapped of. Hense why I didn't bother the following year. Since now I have more mature bunnies I'm thinking it will be ok and the big skirt will stop them getting to the base.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

We have real tree every year, but it is a Scots pine tree that I cut down at where I work. I know it hasn't had any pesticides sprayed on it. I'd be worried about bought trees, that I couldn't confirm were grown organically.

The buns absolutely love having a nibble of the tree, it survived the nightly chewing but it did look well trimmed by Christmas day. Haha.

There is no side effects from the buns except pine fresh breath. Lol

Best to discourage nibbling even if they're not treated due to the chemical in the tree that keeps the needles green.
Definitely best to discourage nibbling if they've been treated with pesticides and flame retardant.

We cut the lower branches off so the buns have to really reach up & I use a puppy pen panel to prevent access to the wire for the lights.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Coolio. I had so many funny images of Millie & Toby ransacking your tree. Do you have pics? Hilarious.

I think its the fire retardant chemicals that are the concern. I always put mine somewhere bunnies can't access so I can't have ceiling to floor ones - I like potted ones too & they get really heavy.

Once the QC Sherry is flowing & Denny has his dancing shoes on, you might find they enjoy the wicker base too much

Following these replies I have decided not to get a real one. Too many hazards

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

We have a fake one that you put together in three sections, but since having cats and buns we only use the top two parts so we can then put it on a small card/craft table so the naughty monkeys can’t reach.

The cats still try but any special or breakable tree decor goes more up top just to be safe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just installed our tree, which seemed a lot smaller outside in the open at work. Lol. Buns have shown absolutely no interest in it so far. They are happily munching hay instead!

Don't worry buns won't be left alone with the tree and lights are not accessible to the cheeky monsters.

c9aca28acbc54384408bd66ef73d5b53.jpg

I've just installed our tree, which seemed a lot smaller outside in the open at work. Lol. Buns have shown absolutely no interest in it so far. They are happily munching hay instead!

Don't worry buns won't be left alone with the tree and lights are not accessible to the cheeky monsters.

what a gorgeous tree :love:

Ah it's so pretty :D I love the mushrooms! Where'd they come from? :D

Sent via carrier pigeon

Back