• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit on ebay!

That is shocking :twisted: why would you do that......how do you report it? I am only good at buying things off of ebay.... :oops:

Have they not heard of free ads - you can't exactly post a rabbit so what is the point of advertising her/him on a UK wide site?

Also don't bother with the details do they - sex, spayed/netuered?

Have people given them the rabbit rehome/rescues in London links? It always works better to email constructive help rather than criticise as that will just make them defensive!

Also the price: £50 - no offense but no-one will buy the poor thing - then what will happen?!

Caz

The ad has gone...i wrote to ebay to say. Just hope the seller has the sense to contact a rescue(i did write and say) poor bunny :cry:

I've found another one :( Pair of unneutered males. I wrote suggesting this website and rescues and the response I got was rabbits are expensive and she needs to get some money back!!! :shock:

how can people do this!? Surely they don't want their buns ending up with some snotty nosed kid at the bottom of the garden!

This is the item no if anyone wants to report it: 4340649893

I already have twice!!

Nicola

Some people are so selfish. 'I want to get some money back' what?? If they were such a burden then why bother.

I know vets bills are expensive but other than that they arent that costly! The sheer joy of watching them go about there mad ways is enough for :)

Crazy buns..

I know, I wish people would think about this before they buy them! They aren't that expensive apart from vets bills, but they aren't there just to sit in a cage either, or 'get some money back' when people get bored with them.

This really does make me angry!! I love watching my buns and playing with them, they are well worth all the money I have spent on them.

I hope Ebay will keep a tighter watch on things like this, I hope they remove that ad soon!

:x Out of all my animals i find my reptiles are the most expensive ones to buy for ( My waterdragons are fussy about which insects they eat plus the electric i use to heat them and keep them in light and the tortoise but its all worth while) Rabbits are not expensive at all!! they just cant be bothered.

Any way i have reported it so hopefully it should be gone

nicolar said:
I've found another one :( Pair of unneutered males. I wrote suggesting this website and rescues and the response I got was rabbits are expensive and she needs to get some money back!!! :shock:

how can people do this!? Surely they don't want their buns ending up with some snotty nosed kid at the bottom of the garden!

This is the item no if anyone wants to report it: 4340649893

I already have twice!!

Nicola

I feel sorry for this lady!

She's obivously new to Rabbit's and ebay and she's getting a rough ride.

If she want's to sell her Rabbit's and the hutch fair enough that's her decision.

She's admitted quite a few time's she didn't realise she couldn't list livestock on ebay.

Rather then been agressive towards her why dont you suggest neutering etc.

How are people ever going to learn about proper Rabbit Care etc if your always putting your backs up against people and acting agressive towards them?

Louise

haffyj said:
:x Rabbits are not expensive at all!! they just cant be bothered.
quote]

I've got to say I strongly diagree wih this.

My four Rabbit's cost me a fortune in Vet's bills, toys, equipment, food, bedding etc.

They are certably NOT cheap to keep!

Louise

When did she admit that she knew she shouldn't sell rabbits on Ebay? When I wrote to her it sounded like all she wanted to do was get money out of them instead of rehoming them through a reputable rescue. Fair enough sell the hutches, but not the rabbits on Ebay, they are living beings and deserve a good home that has been checked etc.

I wasn't aggressive towards her at all, asked her why she was selling them and suggested this website or a rescue. I never got a reason why she was selling them, just that she wanted to make her money back. If she wants to make money back then I don't think she would be too impressed with a suggestion of neutering two males as she wants to make some money not spend it!!

To me that doesn't sound any good, my personal opinion though!! I'm sure she has a valid reason for wanting to rehome them, in my eyes I don't think Ebay is the right place for selling live animals.

Nicola

nicolar said:
When did she admit that she knew she shouldn't sell rabbits on Ebay? When I wrote to her it sounded like all she wanted to do was get money out of them instead of rehoming them through a reputable rescue. Fair enough sell the hutches, but not the rabbits on Ebay, they are living beings and deserve a good home that has been checked etc.

I wasn't aggressive towards her at all, asked her why she was selling them and suggested this website or a rescue. I never got a reason why she was selling them, just that she wanted to make her money back. If she wants to make money back then I don't think she would be too impressed with a suggestion of neutering two males as she wants to make some money not spend it!!

To me that doesn't sound any good, my personal opinion though!! I'm sure she has a valid reason for wanting to rehome them, in my eyes I don't think Ebay is the right place for selling live animals.

Nicola

If you actualy read the ebay listing you will see she has put all your questions in it. She states there she didn't realise she couldn't sell livestock on eBay.

I also dont see why she has to rehome them through a reptuable rescue?

Why cant she sell them? There her Rabbit's.

Why does she need to give you a reason for selling them? Its her buisness not ours.

Some Rescue's and Breeder's dont do home checks so there Rabbit's could be going to just "anybody" as you put it.

At £80.00 (or whatever she was asking for them) there not gong to go to just anybody.

Louise

ellepotter said:
haffyj said:
:x Rabbits are not expensive at all!! they just cant be bothered.
quote]

I've got to say I strongly diagree with this

Louise

Hiya folks, I think Vet costs for each individual rabbit vary wildly..for example we have several rabbits in the Sanctuary that have cost us 100 s of pounds in Vet treatment, and those that only cost the price of vaccinations.
Rabbit keeping is an individual experience for us all, and I guess there is no norm. :D

People can sell their rabbits as they so wish, but the situation with advertising on E Bay is a bit different as it is against there rules to sell Livestock.
I guess we just have to support one another for our life decisions even if we do not agree with them, and hope next time round, the lady who advertised her rabbits on e bay has joined this Forum, and perhaps learnt a different perspective from all you lovely experienced rabbit keepers.
I think we have to be patient with people, and give them space and some time to learn : :D

Yep I do agree people do need to learn. But why make mistakes if there are people out there who are willing to help? This lady obviously didn't want to be helped, I have no sympathy for her cos when I tried to help she was just sarcastic. I wasn't the person who said to her listing on Ebay is not allowed, just suggested other routes for her in a polite manner. Other people were very rude to her!!

Surely it is better for buns to be helped through a reputable rescue, if she cared about them, or as I also said to her get somebody to do a home check, lots of ppl willing to help animals out there. I realise ppl don't all think the same, but surely this way you are doing your best for the animals. That is what I don't understand, if I was new to rabbits/rehoming advice would be much appreciated. After the last email I got from her I'm pretty much fuming and don't have the time of day for her!!

Only asked why she was selling them, as most ppl like to know if there are any behavioural problems etc. More than likely kids just got fed up with them tho I expect! See too many buns going through rescue cos of this, wish ppl would do their research!! One of my bug bears!! I don't think an £80 price tag would guarantee them going to a good home, just imagine all those kids out there asking rich mummy and daddy for bunnies, £80 is nothing to them, only for them to sit down the bottom of the garden being ignored! Generalisation I know, but pretty true in a lot of cases!!

Let's just hope that we don't see too many more buns on Ebay and that they come to Rabbit Rehome to get some advice from experienced people who will help to rehome bunnies to a good home who love them and have time and money to give to them!

Oh and I think it def depends on the rabbit re. expenses, one of my buns has cost me loads this year!! They def aren't the easy, cheap animals most ppl think they are. Hopefully sites like this are changing that misconception!

Nicola

nicolar said:
Let's just hope that we don't see too many more buns on Ebay and that they come to Rabbit Rehome to get some advice from experienced people who will help to rehome bunnies to a good home who love them and have time and money to give to them!

Oh and I think it def depends on the rabbit re. expenses, one of my buns has cost me loads this year!! They def aren't the easy, cheap animals most ppl think they are. Hopefully sites like this are changing that misconception!

Nicola

You have made some very good points Nicola, and I agree that although E Bay has a policy that livestock cannot be advertised on there, week after week we are still seeing bunnies for sale. :?
Hopefully Forums like this, Rabbit Rehome and all the good Rescues/ Sanctuaries and Breeders will educate people with the reality of rabbit keeping.
As you rightly said rabbits are not easy to keep, in fact I think they are quite a complex pet to care for successfully.
I have been looking after rabbits for 30 years, but am still learning something new each day. :)

Thanks Adele, didn't mean it to get so heated, I just care about buns so much it makes me see red sometimes!! Calmed down now, and can see why people go wrong, there just isn't enough education out there, people don't know what they are letting themselves into and the work that is needed to successfully care for them. I spend hours out with my buns and I only have 3, I think I'd be living out there if I had any more lol :D

I've learnt so much from this forum, if I see rabbits advertised on Ebay now I direct them here :) Hopefully people will realise there is more to rehoming a rabbit, than just sticking it in a hutch and run.

I think rabbits are very complex, but with that comes a joy very different to owning a cat or dog. Can't quite explain it but when you love rabbits you are just passionate about them! I'd never be without bunnies now, I'd love to help more but still living at home :(

I have only been keeping rabbits for 7 years, so I have loadsa learning to do but I've picked up quite a lot along the way! I work for the Blue Cross and work with a lovely lady, our resident 'bunny expert'. Learnt so much off of her! I wish that more people would take the time to get to know rabbits, there is so much more than first meets the eye.

Just want to say well done Adele and Tamsin for such a brill site, for us crazy rabbit owners to natter on about our lovely buns :)

Nicola

Back