• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chances of Pregnancy

Beapig

Mama Doe
I've seen two rabbits being sold in a tiny hutch with wire floor (nasty nasty hutch). Un-neutered male and female being kept in the same hutch together, both one year old. Surely it's really likely the doe is pregnant?

I've been considering rescuing them but seems likely that I could be getting 6 babies along with them!

How many rabbits can you comfortably fit in an 8x6 shed at night? (with 10 metre long x 4 metre wide run during the day)

sadly I would imagine the female is pregnant yes :( it would be pure and utter luck if she wasn't. I also doubt they're vaccinated if thats how they're being kept :(

Oh bless you Beapig. I agree with BC - that pregnancy is probably a given. Those poor rabbits again, in such cramped conditions. What is wrong with people? I am so upset at this. It's un-necessary and just down right wrong. Thank heavens that there are such wonderful kindhearted saviours like you Beapig. I hope that you are able to rescue and give an update on this story.

Well you would imagine that she would be pregnant, but you would also have to wonder why it has not happened earlier, unless she has had previous litters. So, there is a small possibilty that the pair have been mis-sexed.

Maybe try to find out some more information first. As BC said it's very unlikely that they have been vaccinated and so if you did rescue them, you would need to consider strict quarantine measures.

Also rabbit litters are not always 6 in number :lol:;) Tui was one of 9, but of course they can also be less than 6.

Well you would imagine that she would be pregnant, but you would also have to wonder why it has not happened earlier, unless she has had previous litters. So, there is a small possibilty that the pair have been mis-sexed.

Maybe try to find out some more information first. As BC said it's very unlikely that they have been vaccinated and so if you did rescue them, you would need to consider strict quarantine measures.

Also rabbit litters are not always 6 in number [emoji38];) Tui was one of 9, but of course they can also be less than 6.
This

I've heard of huge bun litters, then there's the issue of sexing and separating them and all the vaccinations, very costly :(

Sent via carrier pigeon

Thank you for your responses everyone. Maybe I should dig deeper and see if I can get more info.

Surely she would have had a litter by now, so mis-sexing is a possibility.

I definitely need to think about this carefully before jumping into it. The rabbits are very local to me which is why I became aware of them.

If they are in such cramped conditions she probably won't have babies. I agree with Omi that they could have been mis-sexed. You would need 2 separate hutches for them to start with, then the neutering etc. But what will happen to them if you,or someone else, which at this time of year is unlikely, don't rescue them.

Thank you for your responses everyone. Maybe I should dig deeper and see if I can get more info.

Surely she would have had a litter by now, so mis-sexing is a possibility.

I definitely need to think about this carefully before jumping into it. The rabbits are very local to me which is why I became aware of them.

Oh Beapig! ;). Its difficult isn't it! As you probably know I've rescued a number of ads buns, but I've always been wary of a situation such as this.

I agree, if you can get some more information and go from there. Hopefully they have been mis-sexed as I imagine they'd be keen to keep them if there were babies (to profit from) I mean it doesn't sound like they are 'pets' if they are being kept in a hideous wire bottomed hutch x

Good luck x

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice you guys. I've given it a lot of thought and decided that now really isn't the best time to take on any more, with Plumpkin being very expensive on a monthly basis and what with our shed build happening. The ad has been removed from Gumtree, so I'm hoping that the rabbits were rescued by someone who will take much better care of them.

On the plus side, this potentially frees me up in the future if a case as bad (or worse looking) comes along. I think one more rabbit would be a comfortable alternative, so maybe I'll rescue a single bunny living a life of misery like Plumps was.

Thanks so much for the advice you guys. I've given it a lot of thought and decided that now really isn't the best time to take on any more, with Plumpkin being very expensive on a monthly basis and what with our shed build happening. The ad has been removed from Gumtree, so I'm hoping that the rabbits were rescued by someone who will take much better care of them.

On the plus side, this potentially frees me up in the future if a case as bad (or worse looking) comes along. I think one more rabbit would be a comfortable alternative, so maybe I'll rescue a single bunny living a life of misery like Plumps was.

Sounds like a wise decision, but I know how they tug at the old heart strings. I recently got told about another bun, but having just taken on the girls I had to say no, but it wasn't easy x

Back