• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Seeking Advice

~Lisa~

Warren Scout
I know I should ring the vets on this one but I wanted to see what you wonderful bunny folk would suggest first.

Benny and Timmy should have had their VHD jabs last month, but because things have been so hectic here recently, I haven't managed to find the time to take them. I am rather concerned about the possible side effects, coupled with the fact that they live outside (in the garage ) and I'm really worried that the cold isn't going to help matters.
Also they are coming up to the time where they are old enough to be neutered ( they've just turned 18wks) and I'd like to get that done before the mad rush up to christmas.
What do you think is the best thing to do?
Get them vaccinated now? if so, will they be ok out in the garage? They are in the play pen for at least for 12hrs a day, should I just keep them in the hutch for a day or so or just restrict time spent in the pen as it's not totally draft proof? ( not that a gale blows through there I might add!) They have boxes and stuff to sit/nap/lie in, but prefer the open space.
How long should one then leave them before getting them neutered? Arrghhh I don't know what to do for the best, I wish I'd managed to get them vaccinated when I should have taken them :?
Your thoughts on this matter are much appreciated.

Are they both boys??

If they are you have some time yet so I would get them vaccinated first, my vet always does the myx jab first as it is in our area and very bad this year. The VHD is normally done second and this one can make them feel a bit unwell for a day or two but they should be fine.

Hope this helps

Maureen

Yep, they are both boys :)
They had their Myxi jab on 14th Sept, so as you can see I'm well behind with the VHD :? I just want my babies to be ok.

~Lisa~ said:
Benny and Timmy should have had their VHD jabs last month, but because things have been so hectic here recently, I haven't managed to find the time to take them. I am rather concerned about the possible side effects, coupled with the fact that they live outside (in the garage ) and I'm really worried that the cold isn't going to help matters.
Also they are coming up to the time where they are old enough to be neutered ( they've just turned 18wks) and I'd like to get that done before the mad rush up to christmas.
What do you think is the best thing to do?
Get them vaccinated now? if so, will they be ok out in the garage? They are in the play pen for at least for 12hrs a day, should I just keep them in the hutch for a day or so or just restrict time spent in the pen as it's not totally draft proof? ( not that a gale blows through there I might add!) They have boxes and stuff to sit/nap/lie in, but prefer the open space.
How long should one then leave them before getting them neutered? Arrghhh I don't know what to do for the best, I wish I'd managed to get them vaccinated when I should have taken them :?
Your thoughts on this matter are much appreciated.

If I were in your situation, I'd get the vaccinations done asap. There's not usually serious side effects, but it's better to have them done than to risk contracting VHD. They'll be fine in the garage, they have each other to keep themselves warm and cosy. The mighty Mojo and Grace are due to get theirs tomorrow at 4.00pm, I too am concerned about side effects but I don't want them to get VHD, so it's jabs and then it's back to their room and outdoor run, no special treatment for them, I'll just keep an eye on them and act accordingly if needs be.

Providing there's not fighting between Benny and Timmy, why give yourself hassle and rush to get them done before Christmas? Unless it's urgent, then I would leave it til after. Also they'll be a bit stressed if you have to take them to the vet again so soon, give them a wee rest.

Does that help any? :wink:

bunnyhuggger said:
If I were in your situation, I'd get the vaccinations done asap. There's not usually serious side effects, but it's better to have them done than to risk contracting VHD. They'll be fine in the garage, they have each other to keep themselves warm and cosy. The mighty Mojo and Grace are due to get theirs tomorrow at 4.00pm, I too am concerned about side effects but I don't want them to get VHD, so it's jabs and then it's back to their room and outdoor run, no special treatment for them, I'll just keep an eye on them and act accordingly if needs be.

Providing there's not fighting between Benny and Timmy, why give yourself hassle and rush to get them done before Christmas? Unless it's urgent, then I would leave it til after. Also they'll be a bit stressed if you have to take them to the vet again so soon, give them a wee rest.

Does that help any? :wink:

Thanks for answering Lynda, I was beginning to think that only the elite members got replies! ;)

Well to be honest, I bit the bullet and went and got them both vaccinated, at tea time this evening, right in the middle of rush hour traffic. I rang the vets this afternoon and they said they should be ok outside in the garage. At the moment I have them running around my kitchen making sexual advances to one another! :shock: Whilst they don't seem to be fighting and drawing blood, they do appear to be getting rather rough with one another and there's some fur floating around my kitchen floor. At one point, I thought Benny was going to mount my cat who was quietly eating her supper! :lol:
Maybe I panic too much? I've never kept rabbits together before and I just want to get it right.

Thanks anyway, I now feel better knowing that other outdoor buns are being vaccinated at this time of the year.

Moving unneutered boys to new territory can trigger aggression. Aggression tends to be to do with territorial disputes so putting them somewhere with new territory to fight over can cause problems. Its probably best to give them a week or so to recover from the jab before neutering. If they get any side effect from others posts it seems the show within 24 hours anyway.

Tam

I couldn't advise you on this one as mine are house bunnies so I wasn't sure about putting them outside after vaccination.

The only thing about neutering them is that I would wait until after Christmas too - Zeus gave himself an abscess by licking the area and giving oral antibiotics/cleaning "that area" daily isn't going to make for a very nice Christmas if the same happens to you!

Caz

Caz said:
The only thing about neutering them is that I would wait until after Christmas too - Zeus gave himself an abscess by licking the area and giving oral antibiotics/cleaning "that area" daily isn't going to make for a very nice Christmas if the same happens to you!

Plus you need to be sure you can get your bunny in to the vets afterwards for their check up, or in case of any complications. Not always easy over the festive season.

This is exactly what I wanted, views from another persons perspective.
I had not taken into consideration, possible problems following a neuter, and also vet availability over the holiday period. You have brought up some good points to think about.

After all my worrying yesterday, Benny and Timmy seem perfectly fine so far :)

Back