• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Naming Convention

Bindi

Warren Scout
Hi all

Bunny number 6 has come home today and I wanted to pick your brains for ideas.

I've got myself into a bit of a naming tradition with my rabbits. My first rabbit, Bandit, was a pedigree born from a pair (+1) rejected from the breeder and sold to my school farm. I have no idea what their original bunnery names were but at the farm there was a sort of common theme (Smokey, Dusty, Shadow) so twelve/thirteen year old me gave her a middle name (Mist) to honour that. Sealy was in the same situation (a rejected pedigree) but his middle name is unrelated to his parentage.

Following on from that, I had Schatje-Oren Turin (known as Oren), Pandora Bea and Mattie Harigen. Aside from Pandora, who was born at the rescue and already (fore-)named, there were reasons for each name chosen. As anyone who speaks Dutch might suspect, Oren was a Netherland Dwarf and Mattie was a longhaired Dutch cross. Bea came from B-Buns, a nickname for Bandit.

Pandora's new husbun is the hunky chunky Bailey B, so called because the rescue already had a Bailey. If they'd named him Bailey 2, as they have with others, then he'd simply be "Bailey", but I used to work there at the time and he's been in rescue for three and a half years so the "B" became part of his name.

So I have a dilemma now... What does the B stand for? I don't really want it to be something as normal as "Bunny" lol but I can't think of anything that feels right so far... or do I leave his forename as "Bailey B", essentially middle initial him, and make him "Bailey B Something"? Preferably I want something actually relevant to him in some way...

He's a six year old English spotted rabbit with megacolon syndrome. His previous wife was called Mars.

xF4a7Ck.jpg

Bailey B on the left. (Image from the rescue's blog but originally taken and posted by me to said blog)

I have a feeling this is going to be a really tough one...

:?

I know it sort of breaks the convention, but Britannia? She was a Roman godess of the British isles and as he's English, there's a link there even though it's predominantly a feminine name.
Or what about bellifluficus - the roman god of floof?

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

"Bailey Bee" had occurred to me, I'll admit, but aside from anything Pandora already has the middle name "Bea" so that makes it more awkward.

I'm hoping that I'll hear something and it will be like an epiphany, not simply "meh, that'll do"... Decisions, decisions...

When I really struggle, I crack open my baby names' book. (Which I use more for bunnies/fictional characters..) so, from there...

Bailey Banquo (Gaelic - white)
Bailey Beal (French -the handsome)
Bailey Beau (derived from the above)
Bailey Benedict (Latin - blessed)
Bailey Bertwin (Teutonic - bright friend)
Bailey Bion (Greek - life)
Bailey Boone (Norse - the good one)
Bailey Brychan (Welsh - freckled)

Thanks again all!

I'm looking for a middle name with meaning, as opposed to just a word beginning with B. Bertwin makes sense. Brychan does as well, with the added bonus that I'm part Welsh and learning the language. Although not strictly speaking an English word, I was also toying with "Belvedere", which is a structure built for a view, which would tie into the new accommodation I built that my previous boy spent only two days in.

Given me a few to think about there!

Thanks again all. I think I'm going to have to give the cookie to you, tlc, for Brychan. It also fits with the completely unintentional pattern of my male rabbits having a forename ending in an ie/y sound and middle name ending in n, although there's still the option of double-barrelling his forename and adding another one later on. It also sounds not that dissimilar to the plant "Bracken" which I'll admit I had no idea was a fern until I just googled it just now (always imagined it like a blackberry bush!)

We had Healthcheck, Grooming and Weigh In Day on Saturday. We got off to a roaring start- I tripped coming out of the aviary, fell about a foot/foot and a half head first down the steps and nearly bodyslammed poor Bailey into the ground. Luckily, although I've never done that before, it's not my first bunny carrying rodeo so I curled up in the foetal position around him and protected him (he was slightly muddy and perhaps slightly traumatised lol) but in so doing slammed my own legs into the ground. I'm still limping a bit now...

Back