• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What are the actual figures on VHD

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
Having had bunnies myself that had bad reactions to VHD vacs (off colour for a couple of days), but never have heard of an actual case of VHD in a pet bunny, I am wondering what the actual statistics are about the disease... Do any of you know anyone that had a rabbit with VHD? Does anyone have figures?

I am just wondering whether we vaccinate without actually having a good cause for it? (Just to make it clear, all of mine are vaccinated!).

Vera

LurcherGirl said:
I am just wondering whether we vaccinate without actually having a good cause for it?

I don't know the figures, but part of the reason for vaccinating is that if all pet bunnies are vaccinated the risks of transmission are much lower. Same for the MMR vaccination in people.

I was talking to my vet about VHD and she said that more often than not people just go to feed the rabbit and find it dead with a bit of blood (sorry to those that are squeemish) around the orifices. They then bury the rabbit and don't ever report it - put it down to being one of those things (I should imagine if it was a "forgotten" rabbit they would probably just be glad they finally had to stop remembering to feed /clean the poor thing).

Us bunny lovers that check on the slightest thing would notice symptoms earlier - then a diagnosis of VHD could be made but otherwise unless a blood sample is taken from a suffering bunny or an autopsy is performed on a bunny that died suddenly most cases of VHD probably go unreported.

I should imagine there are more stats on wild outbreaks of VHD because ecologists tend to study the spread of diseases such as this and mxyi and its effect on populations/food chains.

Caz

Although I have also had problems with the vaccine I would always have mine done, but I think there is a case to go back to the company that makes the vaccine to see if they can improve it.

My vets said he always reports back when a rabbit is unwell after vaccination but I just wonder how many actually do !!

I actually spoke to the rep for the company who makes the vaccine at last years RWA conference and she said she had never heard of a rabbit being unwell afer which is really worrying, perhaps we should start our own records and present them with the findings!!!!

Maureen

Back