• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun Cam

Bindi

Warren Scout
I wasn't sure which section to post this in so I just placed it here.

Has anyone got any kind of surveillance for their rabbits? My aviary is down the end of the garden so if I want to check on the bun I have to go out whatever the weather, down the garden, get into the aviary (which my mum has taken to calling "Fort Knox") and pull aside the curtains on the hutch area to get accusingly stared at by a rabbit who now wants treats for being disturbed.

If I had a camera where I could look at the feed from the house then I'd be able to get an idea of what she is up to (and her next husbun, fingers crossed). If she's hiding in a box then I'd have to go look anyway but if she's hopping about and eating then I can be more chill. Her current suitor is also special needs and has a likelihood of stasis bouts so a camera would be good to keep an eye on him.

I don't have a fancy phone so I would think it would have to be a camera that feeds into my laptop.

Anyone got any ideas? :?

Do you have electricity and WiFi capability in the shed? I’ve got an Eye4 ip camera in my goats shed which is brilliant:thumb:

I am working on an 8 webcam computer based solution that can stream to youtube

obviously you will need electricity and some form of broadband

As my bunnies are rural I will be using a mobile broadband dongle rather than normal wired BB

I should add that this is intended to be "low" cost

each HQ webcam is £15, wifi dongle is £10, the PC is around the £50 mark..but this is to be confirmed... if a £50 PC is powerful enough

Last edited:
I have an old D-Link webcam, it requires WiFi and a cabled electric connection. I guess it depends on what you want, do you want something you can view anywhere? Does it need to be waterproof? I believe there are lots more options now than when I bought mine. Back then it was either a cheap form of CCTV - which were designed for outdoors but could only be viewed on the television at home. Or a webcam style camera which had to have a cabled power supply but could be viewed anywhere I had an internet connection. I went with the second as mine are indoor rabbits and I was wanting to check on Smudge while on holiday.

What you want is an Outdoor IP Camera that supports PoE (Power over ethernet) and then you run a single Ethernet cable to your hutch (out of reach of the rabbits) and that will provide the power and send the signal back to the house. Inside your house the cable connects to the PoE adapter and then to your router.

What you want is an Outdoor IP Camera that supports PoE (Power over ethernet) and then you run a single Ethernet cable to your hutch (out of reach of the rabbits) and that will provide the power and send the signal back to the house. Inside your house the cable connects to the PoE adapter and then to your router.
Hmm, that IS easy, maybe I should do that!

There's no electricity in the aviary. I don't need to see it from everywhere (although admittedly it would be awesome to see them while I'm at work...), it was mainly so I had the option of checking on them at, say, 7am without necessarily needing to go and do it physically. We've got wifi in the house but my laptop can't connect to it while in the aviary itself (because of the roof, I think). The hutch part is waterproof (and hopefully stays that way!)

I'll look up your suggestion, Tim. Thanks! I do have a long ethernet cable from the days before my laptop had wifi ability, although I don't know how easy it would be to run it from the aviary to the house even if the cable is long enough. There might be just too many ways for it to get damaged. I'm not too technologically savvy so I'll have to try to see if I understand the whole process.

(Edit- for reference, this is my current accommodation :) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...long-ramble)&p=7032202&viewfull=1#post7032202 )

Last edited:
Back