• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A strange smell !!!

sammy123

Young Bun
Hi everyone, havent spoken in ages, but love readying all the posts!

I noticed last night the Brandy has got a smell to her - (a bit of a poo smell) she has never smelt like this before. I have checked underneath her and she is nice and clean, its on her hair i can smell it, even on her head! Never had a smell to her before, but i am a bit concered, i wondered if it might be her hormones??? Shes 16 weeks old, and last week had her mixi jab (but that all went fine) Just wondered what you all though? :roll:
Thanks
Sam Anthony & Brandy

Was she wet (her coat) when you smelt her as I know mine give off a bad smell when the fur is wet sometimes.

If not I'm not sure what it could be, if you have to go back for another jab perhaps check with the vet

Hope all is well

Maureen

I do find that the poos and wees of unneutered rabbits smells a lot more... one of the minor reasons why houserabbits are better when they are neutered... :wink:

It could well be that she is becoming sexually mature now.

Vera

Ok thank, i wondered if it was because she older now, if it is because shes sexually mature, is this smell going to be a permenant thing then?

And no she wasn't wet.

Thanks
Sam

Had Brandy just been eating one of her "special poos"??

Once (this won't happen again) I went up to Rosie on ground level right up to her face to give her a kiss on top of her head and she had been "down there" and was munching on something (obviously a special poo :? ) because .... YUK!!!!! ... :shock:

She had POO BREATH! :lol: :lol:

Might have been that ... just a thought .... ?

I have never classed it as "poop" what they eat. There is a special name for it but I can’t remember what they call it or how to spell it lol. From what I have learnt its something natural that the rabbit needs. I suppose you could say it’s a bit like us when se go to Holland and Barrett for natural supplements :lol:

I think it is called a caecotroph (but not sure of the spelling!lol). They have a very efficient digestive system, no wastage there!

I call it special poo because I can't spell that name :lol:

Yes its good they eat it and it would be bad if they didn't but don't go near their mouths when they are - bless them.

When I first got Athena she had very bad breath almost like a cats breath - "meaty" - freaked me out a bit! Now after feeding her a nice proper diet her breath is a lot better and usually smells really sweet like fresh grass/hay. Although I try not to get too close knowing what they munch on after eating loads of fibre ;)!

If it is her hair I would be inclined to give her a bath (as long as you can make sure she is fully dry before putting her outside in this weather). A nice bit of shampoo and conditioner and Athena smelt beautiful again after Zeus bathed her in his own special way (I am not sure she appreciated his gesture of love - a face full of urine - ugh :? :oops: ). I give Zeus a bath every now and again too as he likes to sleep in his litter tray sometimes and starts to stink a bit - trying to hold him in the water is a death defying feat though - Athena is very good about bathing.

Caz

Back