• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Vaccination

Carole

Warren Scout
Hi,

Just had my 12 week old bunny vaccinated yesterday for VHD - had the Myxi one 2 weeks ago.

I have noticed that she is a bit off colour today, by that I mean quiet and sleepy - is this a normal reaction to this vaccine.

I did ask my Vet yesterday if they get any reaction and she said not normally.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me.

Carole

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your quick reply.

She seems to be eating and toileting ok, I just thought she seemed a bit quiet and lethagic.

Thank you for the link - that is interesting apart from not eating that is how I would descibe Misty - I will keep my eye on her and hopefully she will be feeling more lively tomorrow.

Really appreciate all your help - these animals worry us to death dont they??

Carole

Carole said:
Hi Lynn, Really appreciate all your help - these animals worry us to death dont they??Carole

They certainly do !!!! :wink:

If she's eating and toileting OK I'm sure she'll be feeling brighter soon - it must vary with bunnies and vaccinations - I've never seen any reaction with Robbie at all - he normally just looks relieved to be home from the vets :)

Thanks again.

At least that gives me hope that she will be feeling better soon.

She is eating, put her in some veggie goodies to tempt her and she is munching away.

Carole

I've only ever had reactions to the VHD and two of mine have come out in a sore near where the needle went in.

It looks nasty but they did recover after about 2 weeks and the fur did grow back.

Unfortunately it did happen every year after.

It is a very strong vaccine and it has warnings to the vet to make sure the don't stick the needle in their finger.

I'm sure ypurs will be fine in a couple of days and back to their normal bunny selves

Maureeen

Hi Maureeen,

Strangely enough my Vet asked my son not to hold the rabbit, as she had to be careful that she didnt stick the needle in him or in herself!!!

Misty is definately eating just a bit quiet and sleepy.

Carole

Carole said:
Strangely enough my Vet asked my son not to hold the rabbit, as she had to be careful that she didnt stick the needle in him or in herself!!!

Ours did the same, with dire warnings about amputation should we get stuck with it... :shock:

One of our vets will only vaccinat if the rabbits is left in a carry box but then mine are top opening.
Don't know what she'd do if they were front openning.
:shock:

Hi,

I think as the day as gone on Misty has got worse, she hasnt moved for hours, and has not touched the nibbles I put in for her.

Just now when I saw her, her ears were flat to her head and she was almost led on one side. I must admit despite all the help on here I did panic and rang the Vet who herself keeps rabbits, and as many others on here have found out they weren't aware of any side effects.

Anway, they said if I feel she is getting worse then obviously call them, and if she was no better in the morning then pop her into them just to be on the safe side.

I know I am panicing unduly probably, but it is upsetting to see your little bunny unwell.

Hopefully I can report to you all tomorrow or Friday that she is better.

Carole

Hi Carole, I hope sweet little Misty will be back to her normal self very soon. My two need their VHD jabs doing - I should have had it done about three weeks ago, but things have been chaotic here and I haven't had chance to make the journey to the vets yet, as it is out of town :? Reading all these posts about reactions to the VHD vaccination, have really made me nervous about it all :(

My vet always warns that rabbits can sometimes be a bit lethargic and off their food for a couple of days after VHD jabs (not with the mxyi jab though). Luckily my two have never had any reaction to the jabs - I think there are hundreds of times rabbits jabs are fine are not written about - probably because it is when something goes wrong that we are more likely to seek advice.

I must admit though I didn't have to think twice about getting them done - I just did it as I asked myself if I wanted to risk them getting what is often termed "rabbit Ebola" because the horrifying symptoms are so similar to those caused in humans by the Ebola virus. It is a risk you have to take as VHD is so easily spread on food, hay and even your shoes (myxi is awful too but not so easily transmitted).

I sure hope Misty is feeling better today!

Caz

Hello everyone,

OK, its just me being a worried new bunny Mum and panicing. I am glad to report that she is much brighter today.

Got her out for a little run around this morning, and she was definately more interested in mooching around today.

Typical really after I wrote the message on here last night about her lying on her side and ringing the vet, she fooled me and was sat by her door looking out. One good sign in hindsight was that she did start eating her food again late on last night.

Thank you very much for all your help and advice, it is so good to have a place like this to come to, to share any problems.

Carole

Back