• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Young pet shop bunnies outside first time....note not mine!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Despite him asking for advice, and me giving it plus links to rabbit welfare sites, my brother has gone out to pets at home today and bought two male rabbits :censored::censored::censored: Last I heard he was going to a rescue place I mentioned who had baby females but he clearly couldn't wait and has "got them out of there" ie Pets at Home....like that's helping!!!!

I'm assuming they are in his house at the moment, I haven't spoken to him again yet as was sooo cross earlier!!!! But if they are young rabbits that have been in the store they are surely not going to have winter coats yet. Should he put them outside???

no they shouldn't go outside. they won't have any type of winter coat at the moment as pets at home is quite warm in comparison to the temps outside. the earliest they can go outside is next spring, when the temp difference between the house and outside is no greater than 10c, and that includes night time temperatures.

no they shouldn't go outside. they won't have any type of winter coat at the moment as pets at home is quite warm in comparison to the temps outside. the earliest they can go outside is next spring, when the temp difference between the house and outside is no greater than 10c, and that includes night time temperatures.

Thanks :) I think I might need to lend him my indoor cage....

There will be quite a temperature difference between the store and outside. It may still be possible to keep them outside but they will need a decent shelter with lots of hay, and possible extra heating (eg Snugglesafe heatpads) on colder (frosty) nights. If they are young or haven't been neutered yet, I would probably keep them in a cool room until they have been neutered and get them done as soon as they are ready. They will need to be inside to recover from the anaesthetic.

Thanks my thoughts exactly, although it now turns out this was a false alarm. He messaged me from the store and I wrongly assumed he'd already bought them. He's now going to go to the rescue as planned this afternoon :)

Oh that's good news, going to rescue he can get already bonded bunnies in need of home, already vaccinated fully, and neutered along with lots of helpful advice

Thanks my thoughts exactly, although it now turns out this was a false alarm. He messaged me from the store and I wrongly assumed he'd already bought them. He's now going to go to the rescue as planned this afternoon :)

Phew! Great news:thumb:

Back