• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued bunny

Snowymouse

Young Bun
So a few months ago my neighbours got a baby bunny for their kids. I looked (spied) into their garden when they took it onto the grass and saw it shut in a tiny cage :( as in, I wouldn't keep a hamster in there. I got chatting to them about bunny (they're nice people just clueless) and dropped off a few bunny mags for their son...basically I wanted them to know I am the go-to bunny person for all bunny related matters.

Well today...the plan worked! They asked if I knew anyone who wanted him/her and I said YES gimme! I took him straight away and they were delighted.

Got him home and he was damp (they'd given him a 'bath' but I think - hope - it was with the waterless small animal shampoo that came with him). Anyway he's towelled off and binkying around a makeshift pen with loads of hay. Is there anything else I should do? I have his food but have no idea how old he is and he looks a bit skinny. I hope he'll be okay.

He'll be going to my nearest rescue hopefully next week when they have space unless someone here is interested in a lovely little (gender/age unknown) bunny? He is the sweetest thing when I get in the pen he just wants to be near me, not interested in the hide at all.

Anyway I just thought I'd post because I know your guys will appreciate how important it was for me to get him out of there. My other half thinks I'm a bit crazy! Moral of the story: stay friends with your neighbours if you want to help their bunny.
80d3d0df7844f3d4b6751838d3bf6c88.jpg
a6310482c54fbedaadddb228a805e6da.jpg
09d71a25713a0501113f9388b5417a23.jpg

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Omg was that the cage he was in outside? :'(

You've saved him! Thank goodness he's with you now. I hope he'll be okay :) x

Sent via carrier pigeon

Please tell me that wasn't the cage he was in :shock:

Thank God you have him and hopefully he will find a loving and caring forever home soon , well done for saving him :love:

Yes that's his cage :( he wasn't outside thankfully, they just put him out on the lawn sometimes. He's making the most of being able to run around now!

:shock: That's awful.

What area are you in? I've found myself with space after sadly loosing my Thor this week. He shared a divided shed with our other boy Loki. I'm worried about Loki being alone during the winter, although they weren't bonded, they did sit either side of the divide together. We'd planned to get them both neutered and bond them, but sadly it wasn't to be x

So a few months ago my neighbours got a baby bunny for their kids. I looked (spied) into their garden when they took it onto the grass and saw it shut in a tiny cage :( as in, I wouldn't keep a hamster in there. I got chatting to them about bunny (they're nice people just clueless) and dropped off a few bunny mags for their son...basically I wanted them to know I am the go-to bunny person for all bunny related matters.

Well today...the plan worked! They asked if I knew anyone who wanted him/her and I said YES gimme! I took him straight away and they were delighted.

Got him home and he was damp (they'd given him a 'bath' but I think - hope - it was with the waterless small animal shampoo that came with him). Anyway he's towelled off and binkying around a makeshift pen with loads of hay. Is there anything else I should do? I have his food but have no idea how old he is and he looks a bit skinny. I hope he'll be okay.

He'll be going to my nearest rescue hopefully next week when they have space unless someone here is interested in a lovely little (gender/age unknown) bunny? He is the sweetest thing when I get in the pen he just wants to be near me, not interested in the hide at all.

Anyway I just thought I'd post because I know your guys will appreciate how important it was for me to get him out of there. My other half thinks I'm a bit crazy! Moral of the story: stay friends with your neighbours if you want to help their bunny.
80d3d0df7844f3d4b6751838d3bf6c88.jpg
a6310482c54fbedaadddb228a805e6da.jpg
09d71a25713a0501113f9388b5417a23.jpg

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

He does look skinny :(

Thank you so much for rescuing him.
Words can't express what I feel looking at that cage.:(

Oh My G! I can't believe he was in that cage. My heart is breaking looking at that.
Sorry - not a critisism aimed at you. Firstly, well done for rescuing and probably saving the rabbits life. And you most certainly have done. In my opinion he does look thin but given what the rabbit has been subject to, it's not really a surprise. The fact he follows you is a huge positive - the rabbit is trusting humans and feels safe. You've got some hay - which is perfect. Plenty and plenty of it. And you'll need some pellets. These will help build weight up but the rabbit looks young so you might need to look for young rabbit pellets. Some fresh greens would be good and a vet check if you can do so. They'll identify the sex and do the appropriate checks.
Part of me would suggest you report your neighbours for animal cruelty. Ignorance is no defence for the dredful conditions this rabbit has been subject to. Luckily you have stepped in at the right time.

:shock: That's awful.

What area are you in? I've found myself with space after sadly loosing my Thor this week. He shared a divided shed with our other boy Loki. I'm worried about Loki being alone during the winter, although they weren't bonded, they did sit either side of the divide together. We'd planned to get them both neutered and bond them, but sadly it wasn't to be x

North Birmingham, if you're interested and within reasonable distance I am willing to drive him to a good home :) so sorry you lost your Thor though :(

Oh My G! I can't believe he was in that cage. My heart is breaking looking at that.
Sorry - not a critisism aimed at you. Firstly, well done for rescuing and probably saving the rabbits life. And you most certainly have done. In my opinion he does look thin but given what the rabbit has been subject to, it's not really a surprise. The fact he follows you is a huge positive - the rabbit is trusting humans and feels safe. You've got some hay - which is perfect. Plenty and plenty of it. And you'll need some pellets. These will help build weight up but the rabbit looks young so you might need to look for young rabbit pellets. Some fresh greens would be good and a vet check if you can do so. They'll identify the sex and do the appropriate checks.
Part of me would suggest you report your neighbours for animal cruelty. Ignorance is no defence for the dredful conditions this rabbit has been subject to. Luckily you have stepped in at the right time.

Thanks, I'll try feed him up a bit. If he's still here next week I'll get him vet checked too.

Yes that's his cage :( he wasn't outside thankfully, they just put him out on the lawn sometimes. He's making the most of being able to run around now!

well done Snowymouse.

those cages ought to be banned. they're not suitable for hamsters, let alone rabbits.

I wonder if the cage was to transport him (?) outside, and maybe he free ranged indoors? I'd rather not think about the alternative tbh.

Well done on taking him in, he's beautiful, but yes in the skinny side! You're not mad, idve done the same thing, and have done in the past.

Ikr I don't know where I'd even go to buy such a cage :/

Sent via carrier pigeon

When I got one of the buns who currently lives with me he came in a carrier that was actually smaller than one I saw at the vet with a mouse in it :(
He was literally forced into it, and he couldn't move at all. Face squished up against the side.

Of course he was taken out of it as soon as he was in the car and has spent the rest of his life in freedom.
I just don't get why some people think this is acceptable. How about keeping a human like that?

North Birmingham, if you're interested and within reasonable distance I am willing to drive him to a good home :) so sorry you lost your Thor though :(

Thank you :(

I've seen now that he was kept indoors, so I wouldn't be able to put him in the shed outside. If I'm honest, it's a bit too soon for me and wouldn't feel right, I don't think.

He's lovely though and I hope he finds a perfect home x

I don't know many bunny people but I hope he/she finds a loving home soon, he looks like a right cutie and sounds like he has a lovely temperament. Thank you for rescuing him! Hopefully it won't take him long to put some weight on, a bit of exercise and the right diet should help him muscle up! That cage makes me shudder.

Did they not have some food for him? Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask which food he had been eating asa change of food could upset him. Thank goodness they realised their mistake, I suppose they had him when he was tiny.

So glad he was rescued,looking at that cage with the handle on top , looks like a bird cage! Minus perches etc.

Back