• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angora grooming

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’m really struggling to stay on top of Angus’ hair. He’s an angora cross dwarf lop so fortunately not as bad as a full angora but his hair is still growing like mad. I use beard clippers on him (the sound doesn’t bother him and he sits very still) and I brush him every day with a slicker brush and a tangle teezer, but I keep finding matts on him and some of them get quite bad :( I bought some grooming scissors and I try and cut the matts out with them but I’m so worried about catching his skin and I have done in the past so I never get all of the matts out fully.

I’ve tried asking all local dog/cat groomers, no one will do him. I spoke to a local rabbit boarder and she doesn’t know if anyone either. The vet said they’d do it but only under sedation and I really don’t want him to be sedated, he’s so good I really don’t think it’s necessary. I know it’s not ideal but today I put conditioner on him and brushed through to try and get all the knots out but there’s still some there. Can anyone suggest anything else? I’m really letting him down at the moment

I use a metal tooth dog comb - a double sided one - it will get right down to the skin so the mats don't start. Work in sections so each area is done thoroughly, even if you don't manage it all at one go. It will get easier with practice. Most areas can be done with them sat normally on your knee. Check under the arm pits (you can generally reach under from the front and sides), the 'trousers' of the back legs (I tend to tip them up slightly to do this), and the back feet (using the wider teeth) as these are the bits where mats / knots tend to form. Small knots can be teased out with fingers, or cut into (rather than across) them carefully to split them and make it easier to tease out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Med...1456209&sr=8-6&keywords=double+sided+dog+comb

For really bad mats, I use a seam unpicker. Make sure the pointed end is always pushed away from the skin. They are extremely sharp but get under the mats so you can work away at it until the loose bit is big enough to cut off with scissors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Pla...F8&qid=1541456654&sr=8-1&keywords=seam+ripper

When I've had to deal with bunny mats before I found that i can usually slide a very fine comb at the very base of the mat next to the skin and use that to protect the skin while I go in with scissors and cut the mat off

I use a metal tooth dog comb - a double sided one - it will get right down to the skin so the mats don't start. Work in sections so each area is done thoroughly, even if you don't manage it all at one go. It will get easier with practice. Most areas can be done with them sat normally on your knee. Check under the arm pits (you can generally reach under from the front and sides), the 'trousers' of the back legs (I tend to tip them up slightly to do this), and the back feet (using the wider teeth) as these are the bits where mats / knots tend to form. Small knots can be teased out with fingers, or cut into (rather than across) them carefully to split them and make it easier to tease out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Med...1456209&sr=8-6&keywords=double+sided+dog+comb

For really bad mats, I use a seam unpicker. Make sure the pointed end is always pushed away from the skin. They are extremely sharp but get under the mats so you can work away at it until the loose bit is big enough to cut off with scissors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Pla...F8&qid=1541456654&sr=8-1&keywords=seam+ripper

I agree with all this - a small metal comb and taking your time is the only way to do. I always keep the areas of my bunnies which are prone to mats cut short by lifting the longer top hair and cutting under it. This is usually areas above the tail and on the shoulders for mine. It is not obviously cut when they are standing or sitting but I admit they look like a brush when they are lying down stretched out! You could get the vet to help as a once off to help you get on top of it. Also, just a thought, I wonder if you live near any rabbit rescues who might have someone who can give you some hands on advice about de-fraggling rabbits as they probably have plenty of experience! Good luck - it gets easier with time and practice.

I usually shave out matts with the beard trimmer thingy that Mackers kindly gave me when she bought down Imogen. Imogen never matts but Smudge does, typically behind his head and on his back feet :? so I trim the fur on his back feet - I don't shave it obviously as don't want him getting sore hocks. I find that the quickest and easiest way, and it doesn't usually notice that he's missing a small section of fur :lol:

Back