• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis

sammy4586

Young Bun
Hello, I noticed my bun wasn't her usual self and had stopped eating. Immediately I took her to the vets and they said that her gut is very slow. They gave her an injection and I have given her fibreplex as advised by the vet.

When she got back from the vets, she ate a bit of veg, she has had water and been nibbling on hay and popping.

Waking up this morning, she hasn't had any veg. She has nibbled on hay and she has had some water. In herself she seems okay, she is jumping about, grooming herself and sitting up as well as laying in her position. I'm just concerned at how little she is eating.

How long does fibreplex take to start working and should I contact the vets again? I don't want to stress bun out.

I've lost 2 buns to GI stasis in the past so just want to do what is best for her

Do you know which injections she had yesterday? Vets will usually give some gut medication and also pain relief, whilst at the surgery and then provide some for you to give at home for the next few days. In my view your rabbit probably needs a bit more help to get her back to eating normally. I wouldn't have thought it necessary to take her back to the surgery and think if you ring up and explain they can maybe prescribe some medication that you could collect.

I hope she returns to normal eating soon.

Do you know which injections she had yesterday? Vets will usually give some gut medication and also pain relief, whilst at the surgery and then provide some for you to give at home for the next few days. In my view your rabbit probably needs a bit more help to get her back to eating normally. I wouldn't have thought it necessary to take her back to the surgery and think if you ring up and explain they can maybe prescribe some medication that you could collect.

I hope she returns to normal eating soon.

I agree with Omi :thumb: did the vet check her teeth? Did the vet suggest a cause of Stasis?

Sending lots of vibes xx

I agree with the others. I would expect ongoing painkiller and gut stimulant until she is eating near normally. Fibreplex may help to maintain the gut flora but won't help her get through stasis as such, she needs gut stimulants to do that, and painkillers in the meantime whilst the gut issues are sorted out.

I always found that it took 1-2 weeks (usually nearer 2 weeks) to be fully out of a stasis episode, and that ongoing meds were needed for at least a week. The meds (ie gut stimulants and pain relief) can be administered orally at home.

You also need to make sure that enough fibre is going in to keep the guts functioning. A one-off portion of fibreplex won't be enough. One way of monitoring this (especially if you are not syringe feeding) is to monitor the poo output - check the size, colour, and quantity. Normal poo should be plentiful (ie several handsful a day), large, round and reasonably crumbly. Small, irregular shape, very dark droppings, sausage shape ones or mucus indicate that all is not well and that vet advice should be sought.

The injection was to get her gut moving again. She has just eaten a little bit of veg, and in general seems herself. I'm going to ring the vets back and just get them to check her over

The injection was to get her gut moving again. She has just eaten a little bit of veg, and in general seems herself. I'm going to ring the vets back and just get them to check her over

Just caught up with your thread sammy.

I'm glad to hear things seem to be improving.

When the vet checks her over you can perhaps ask for a blood glucose to be taken and also her temperature. You probably need ongoing gut motility meds and painkillers if it seems like she's not 100%

The other thing is to monitor her output. This is as important as input.

Some info here, but as you've experience you probably already know:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

Good luck xx

I assume that the Vet checked her teeth ? Dental problems can be a primary cause of gut slow down. The 'not eating' being due to Bunny having a sore mouth. So whilst it is obviously important to treat the gut stasis it is equally important to try to establish what may be the primary cause and treat that too. These links provide some useful information :

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3846185&pid=11147

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content...=29493&id=3846186&ind=70&objTypeID=17&print=1

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Sorry I haven't replied, I've been in major panic mode the last few days. The vet gave her a gut stimulant and pain killer and I gave her the paste as well as rubbing her tummy.

Woke up this morning and all her veg was eaten, some of her nuggets and she also had her morning treat. There's lots of poops in her cage too. I've never been so happy to see poop 😁

It looks like it was her fur that had caused it, but because I recognised the signs so early on (due to losing my other 2 buns to stasis 😢) she has made a full recovery.

Thank you everyone for your advice

I do love a good update in the morning. Lots of continue to poop and eat vibes xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Sorry I haven't replied, I've been in major panic mode the last few days. The vet gave her a gut stimulant and pain killer and I gave her the paste as well as rubbing her tummy.

Woke up this morning and all her veg was eaten, some of her nuggets and she also had her morning treat. There's lots of poops in her cage too. I've never been so happy to see poop 😁

It looks like it was her fur that had caused it, but because I recognised the signs so early on (due to losing my other 2 buns to stasis 😢) she has made a full recovery.

You'll very soon be a stasis expert at this rate and be advising us!

I'm so glad to hear this. I was thinking of you and wondering what happened.

Poop - great to see :D

Thats excellent news :) x

Back